Particulate Filter replacement $$

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
yea, my primary cat was clogged. As a result, the DPF was constantly in regen and you could feel the heat coming off the car when I'd park it.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
yea, my primary cat was clogged. As a result, the DPF was constantly in regen and you could feel the heat coming off the car when I'd park it.

Interesting... is there a noise or any other indicators that it’s in rejen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen

yes, you can hear the fans running full speed when you park and the engine radiates heat

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

yes, you can hear the fans running full speed when you park and the engine radiates heat
If you're in the hills you may feel power loss.

The Polar FIS informs on regens

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
You think this will effect a fuel test if checked at dealer? In other words..( "sorry no warranty.. your fuel is contaminated!"):mad:
I asked a service writer @ VW yesterday just that. He said no issue... FWIW

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I asked a service writer @ VW yesterday just that. He said no issue... FWIW
IMO, there's a huge difference between what a service writer says and what VWoA says. And on top of that, if it's not in writing it didn't happen.
You're right, hence my FWIW disclaimer. BUT most of the battle is getting past the service writer. A good service writer will work for the customer if and where possible.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
O.K. back from dealer with a smile. P13ce P13do, bad cylinder #1 glow plug. C.P.O. covered @ 0 cost. :D A little info. gathered that may help others with these cars.
1) Modifying with a tune. According to the tech. the 2011 ecm can not tell if you had a tune and went back to stock for warrenty work. According to him the 2011 isn't new enough to have a counter like the newer years. IF this is true/confirmed a non delete tune is, well... Any confirmation input?
2) Confirmed with service writer that the Polar F.I.S. isn't a warranty killer, as it has no bearing on the drivability etc. yahoo.
3) I asked while the tech was in the diag. if he could report the ash load. My DPF has ONLY 5k miles on it. I have been particularly interested in watching the numbers (soon w/polar FIS). Looking at them I need some help from experienced read of the ash load #'s & metric to miles conversion help. Here it is exactly as written on paperwork:

"Preformed test plan for ash load measurement and found the test load is currently 78 . 0ML and is still far below the maximum load of 200ML Test plan states after apx. 122000KM of driving will be necessary to replace the particulate filter."

Side note 200ML is lower than the 250ML max I've read about before???
This is GREAT news if true...2011 jetta 6mt..70,000 miles...I got the kerma Q loader tune 2 (about 2 months ago) and the car runs so much better not to mention the mpg's went back up to original (43+ hwy was 38-39 before)..kinda concerned about no warranty..even flashed back to "fixed tune"..I guess well see..cause after only 3500 miles since last "new" dpf, the tail pipe is getting a little sooty ....AGAIN....will be 3rd since new:eek:..use scan gauge to monitor regens also.. Hope my dealer doesn't see this post!:eek:.thanx!

Last edited:

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
This is GREAT news if true...2011 jetta 6mt..70,000 miles...I got the kerma Q loader tune 2 (about 2 months ago) and the car runs so much better not to mention the mpg's went back up to original (43+ hwy was 38-39 before)..kinda concerned about no warranty..even flashed back to "fixed tune"..I guess well see..cause after only 3500 miles since last "new" dpf, the tail pipe is getting a little sooty ....AGAIN....will be 3rd since new:eek:..use scan gauge to monitor regens also.. .thanx!

What scanner would you recommend?

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Last edited:

Rogo

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I have been waiting since October for a DPF for my 2011 Golf that popped a code @ 86k miles. Then it developed a no-start condition which I am not sure if it's the battery or if I have water in the IC. Been parked since and have lost a lot of steam on this TDI.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Is it at your house or the dealer? It should be at the dealer so you can start a lemmon buyback claim. part of the fix agreement is that the car can't be out of commission for more than 30 days (IIRC).

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
A warranty is no good to me if I have to wait 7-8 months for the part.
+1

In the last year I have put 27k miles on my JSW. Still running a Malone StageII w/Emissions tune. No issues, tailpipe still looks new. No soot. (knock on wood) Of course I am performing my own oil changes now and haven't been at the dealer since they fixed the pano drain tubes that flooded my floorboards.

IDK if y'all are city or hwy driving. Im driving approx 100 miles per day, 50 to work and 50 back at 55+ mph speeds. I imagine this hwy driving has contributed to my DPF, EGR, and CAT staying clean. I do notice my regen a couple times (fans, 1k idle speed, smell of raw diesel at a stop) mainly when I am parking. Sometimes I sit and let it finish, but most of the time I shut it off and don't worry about it. When I restart it after sitting the regen does not continue so I figure Im saving fuel by killing it.

I figure when the DPF cracks/clogs/messes up is when Ill install my Darkside delete and re-tune.

Lately I've been averaging 37.5mpg per tank. Not sure how or why it went up but sure liking it more everyday.

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
I have been getting the P2002 CEL to show up and turn off from my regular commute. Obviously the light is going to eventually stay illuminated, as my tail pipe is also getting sooty. At this point is the DPF still backordered that long? Does VW supply a loaner car during this time?

Jellow, how did you go about inquiring on the ECMs and the "cutoff dates" of when they weren't able to find modified tunes stored in them? Would the service write / tech have suspected you?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
under the fix agreement, VW is supposed to give you a loaner (or cover the rental) if they ahve to keep your car more than 4 hours. If I get a cel pop up, it goes straight to the dealer. I'm not messing with anything as long as I still have that warranty.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Jellow, how did you go about inquiring on the ECMs and the "cutoff dates" of when they weren't able to find modified tunes stored in them? Would the service write / tech have suspected you?
It was just an "in passing" type question I asked a salesman while waiting repair and looking at the new cars. He asked a tech. Kerma later varified pre 2011 (I forget whenn exactly) that it does have an internal counter. And no the writer didnt suspect me spacifically, just what they do as policy

under the fix agreement, VW is supposed to give you a loaner (or cover the rental) if they ahve to keep your car more than 4 hours. If I get a cel pop up, it goes straight to the dealer. I'm not messing with anything as long as I still have that warranty.
Use it

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
That is a lot of good reading, and I'm glad it "only" applies to MQB. I had to read just a bit to make sure our JSWs weren't part of the MQB.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
That is a lot of good reading, and I'm glad it "only" applies to MQB. I had to read just a bit to make sure our JSWs weren't part of the MQB.
actually my take away is it covers since around the time the "immobilizer" was incorporated?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which would be around the turn of the century?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Which would be around the turn of the century?
:p yeah I suppose. Somewhere in one of these post I beleive Kerma refered to the JSW as defiinately having a counter acessable thru VCDS.

srlbotanical

TDI
2011 JSW TDI Platinum Gray/Black Manual, Stage 2, Deleted
I have been getting the P2002 CEL to show up and turn off from my regular commute. Obviously the light is going to eventually stay illuminated, as my tail pipe is also getting sooty. At this point is the DPF still backordered that long? Does VW supply a loaner car during this time?
I've had the P2002 CEL 3 times. I took it to the dealer each time and now they have me on the list for a new DPF. They didn't give me a loaner and just told me to drive it until the parts come in. According to the service writer it's currently a 4-6 week wait... we'll see.