JSW IC Hose Sludge Fix

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
2013 JSW Hard Start This Morning in the Midwest

Took a 120 mile mile drive for NYE, Parked it, Drove 120 miles home, Parked it over night.

Hard Start this morning. Cranked, stopped, cranked, stopped, cranked, for 10-15 seconds and finally kicked off with a stumble which eventually evened out. Got to work and removed the lower tray to see if there was liquid in the lower intercooler hose and there was some liquid but more sludge than liquid.

Is the sludge is normal?

Do those with the TSB "Icing Fix" no longer have this issue?

Would it be better to delete the EGR/DPF?(Off road use only ;)) Has this remedied it for those having similar issues?

Considering winter just began and its going to be a long wet one here in the Midwest and I don't plan to get rid of the car from this "quirk" what would be the best preventative route to go to reduce messing with the IC hoses, etc in the future? Hunting for along term solution...

I've seen the "drill a hole in the lower hose" thread and am unsure a hole in the IC plumbing is the best idea. Seems like others on the forum have had DPFs fail from smaller air leaks and pressure deviation.

Last edited:

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
I'm with you on this one, I really don't like the idea of drilling a hole, especially while the car is still under warranty. I've only had this happen once under my ownership, and I installed the foam pipe insulation grill block after, and it hasn't happened again yet even under similar conditions (knock on wood). Anyway, I'm also looking for a more surefire way to prevent this from happening in the future

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cold weather intercooler kit will help, driving it more aggressively (especially right before you shut the engine off) helps clear the pipes, too.

Buildup in the charge air tract won't happen if there is a gale force wind blasting thought it enough.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Cold weather intercooler kit will help, driving it more aggressively (especially right before you shut the engine off) helps clear the pipes, too.
Buildup in the charge air tract won't happen if there is a gale force wind blasting thought it enough.
That always worked for me. Of course having a straight 1/2 mile of uninhabited roadway right next to home made it easy and fun to clear the intake.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I was able to get the TSB applied for the winter IC update but only after the car threw a code. Looking through my maintenance log, I noted this:TSB-21-15-06 for DTC (P0299) & TSB-21-18-02 for frozen intercooler

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
I was able to get the TSB applied for the winter IC update but only after the car threw a code. Looking through my maintenance log, I noted this:TSB-21-15-06 for DTC (P0299) & TSB-21-18-02 for frozen intercooler

I'd like to avoid the dealership drama with a code, but having the fix would be nice just for slight piece of mind despite it occasionally not resolving the issue.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI

I'd like to avoid the dealership drama with a code, but having the fix would be nice just for slight piece of mind despite it occasionally not resolving the issue.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Do you have the related codes?

notagearhead

TDI
2013 JWS M6; 2002 Jetta (fate tbd)
Theoretically How aggressive should it be driven? Is it a question of MPH? And could you define "right before" in terms of distance or time?
I like the approach, but I may not be able to facilitate the procedure very close to my house. Could the procedure be replicated in the garage, say with air compressor or blower? Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
RPM + boost + no EGR. So, laying into it! Road speed has nothing to do with it, although it would be easier for longer because the faster you go the more energy it takes to push the car through the air.

But 1st gear need only be 20-30 mph (do not exactly know how fast the car would be going to get to approach redline in 1st gear). But the load in lower gears is quickly overcome. Still, better than nothing.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
I have adjusted my driving style to be slightly more aggresive; with-in reason of course and I haven't experienced any startup stumble since the original post.

I have an oil change coming up shortly; I will inspect the lower IC hose then and post what I find.

Thanks for the tips and pointers; coming from an old b4 passat the CR wold is all new.