Removing Satellite radio

Barracuda

TDI
Jetta SportWagen
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask -- or if it's been asked and answered (but my search couldn't find it).

I recently bought a Jetta Sportwagen w/ the nav package. It came with a satellite antenna and a brief subscription to Sirius. I don't want either, hence would like to do two things:

a. The less important thing: is there a way to remove Sirius satellite radio from the options when I hit the "Band" button? I'd prefer to just have FM and AM as options.

b. Is there a way to remove the satellite antenna -- without leaving a whole or some other ugly mark on the roof? I often put a canoe on top of the car and the antenna gets in the way. (It's the "getting up there" part that's the problem. Once there, the canoe sits above the antenna. But when I'm doing this by myself, I have a suction cup roller I attach to the rear window and I roll the canoe up then slide it onto the roof rack cross bars. In the process, the canoe hits the antenna and pushes it, and the roof, down. Not good.)

Thanks.

Barracuda

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
This is the sedan area, would have more luck in the JSW, golf area.
Good luck

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
You would need an antenna of some sort if you want AM/FM. The satellite antenna also has the AM/FM antenna and signal amplifier built into it. Why in the world you'd disable it is beyond me, even if you don't want the sat for yourself right now. What if you change your mind down the line, or sell the car? Next guy might want it. Sounds like mostly you don't want to hit it with the canoe, so I'd be looking for an alternate method of loading the canoe that you can do alone and not hit the antenna.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
actually im pretty sure the am/fm signal is brought in threw the rear windscreen antenna and the roof mount is for satellite only. The base model here without sat has no roof antenna just a rubber plug so removal will need that plug but it is possible....programming im not sure maybe with vcds or maybe with the sat antenna is pulled from the head unit it may not look for it anymore

71Cuda

TDI
2010 Golf Sportwagen sold to VW now own a 2015 GSW TDI
I find the Sirius ad on my radio very annoying as well. Will never use it and wish there was a way to delete it from my firmware. Any solutions out there?