MK4 Golf PD boost gauge install help

HysteriaRunRiot

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI Indigo(FOR SALE!), 2015 Golf TDI SE Black
I feel really stupid here, but i looked around, and i couldn't find simple instructions, i know this isn't complicated. It's more that i don't know where to tie in the vacuum line.

Also, I got the Vent mount, if anyone has some pointers on that

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Napa and hardware stores should have it. It's like a threaded brass hex fitting with male threads on both sides. On side threads into the boost plumbing and the other gets a cap that hold onto and seals the nylon tubng. You can see it in the pic. The gold thing.

HysteriaRunRiot

Veteran Member
TDI
no, i mean dimensions, that's a compression by male brass fitting, the tubing goes into the compression end, so i'm assuming it has to be 1/8" but what size is the end that goes into the whole I drill, or does it not matter

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
it doesnt matter, i just drill a hole a bit smaller than the threads and then just thread the fitting in there. it should tap itself. i just told you to tap it because tapping it is the correct way to go about things, but not completely necessary.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
and yes. my autometer was 1/8th inch compresssion fitting and tubing. i dont know what kind you have.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
1/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) is the thread size. The correct size drill bit to use prior to tapping is 11/32".

HysteriaRunRiot

Veteran Member
TDI
this is going to sound very stupid, but which ground?

is there a more easily accessible one? i can't get my gauge to light

tomtom1989

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MkV
Your gauge may have 4 wires.

A permanent ground (-)
A permanent positive (+) to keep the settings if its a steppermotor gauge
A switched live from the ignition (so it knows when to turn off and on)
A supply from a dimmer wire so it knows when to dim its light when you put the lights on like the rest of the instruments.

I used the wires that feed the CD player, i did away with the dimming light function and left it out.

Choddaboy

TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI, Jetta 2001 TDI (sold)
Hey sorry to open this thread up,

I installed a boost gauge connected to the intercooler pipe like everyone has shown.

Im not sure if this is normal but I get weird boost readings. When accelerating hard it will read up to 2 bars then the needle will start going down. Also it always makes an annoying rattle.

I can post a video if it helps.

Any suggestions? Would a bent/kinked boost hose maybe cause this?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Likely two things

1) Most gauges are not damped and therefore will buzz due to the intake pressure pulses from the valves. Look at putting an orifice (0.020" or 0.5mm) at the intercooler pipe. If your fitting is brass, you can solder it shut and drill it out.

2) You likely have sticky vanes or a mis-adjusted actuator causing the 2 bar spike. Get this fixed (or stop stomping on the throttle) else you'll be putting a new turbo on soon

Choddaboy

TDI
And aren't you glad you installed a boost gauge, OP ?! :):)
interesting, I dont stomp on the accelerator really. Im just worried if maybe the boost gauge is cheap quality and leading to poor measurements.

I am glad I guess cuz of all the extra hp it gives :)

Would the turbo go into limp mode if my vanes are sticking?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Absolutely.

Limp mode means the ECU feels it has lost control of the turbo and so shuts 'er down to avoid further damage.

Vanes that won't move, for whatever reason, definitely prevent the ECU from controlling the turbo. :)

Choddaboy

TDI
Ok because I did have that problem in the past where the turbo stopped working. I thought it was the actuator getting stuck. After putting God juice on it (3 in 1) the problem went away.

But with that said, wouldnt the car be going into limp mode if my vanes where sticking?