Sound deadener install, interior removal

Ricoch3T

TDI
None
bringing back an old thread but....

did you put this stuff in AND the stock sound dampener stuff? or did you leave the stock stuff out?

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
What Stock sound dampening stuff? if you mean the carpet and underlay pictured in post #2, yes everything I took out went back in. is that what you meant?

Ricoch3T

TDI
None
What Stock sound dampening stuff? if you mean the carpet and underlay pictured in post #2, yes everything I took out went back in. is that what you meant?
yea I ment the underlay. I thought that was acting as an insulator/sound dampener also. I was hoping I could do away with it AND dampen the noise. I imagine that thing weighs a lot. (the underlay)

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
yea I ment the underlay. I thought that was acting as an insulator/sound dampener also. I was hoping I could do away with it AND dampen the noise. I imagine that thing weighs a lot. (the underlay)
It DOES weigh alot. I was so surprised when I removed it. not the carpet mind you, the messy looking fibrous piece. It was very heavy from looking at it, you would think it didnt, but it does, and it is a BIG difference with sound deadening. I would keep it in there(unless you were to replace it with something substantial(not sound deadening material(or a LOT OF IT)).

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
TDikook,

Did you end up finishing the doors? How much did that change it later?
Sadly,NO. Life gets busy sometimes. But I have been driving down the road paying attention to the noise, and it is ALL from the doors. Like sweetjeep said, it had to be the best thing. I hope one day, I will get to it, but we shall see. money got tight since I lost my tranny.

Eric B

windhys

TDI
Golf
I want to lift the front passenger side of carpet to inspect the rust under it. How do I remove the front passenger door sill and plastic pieces around it?

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
All of the door sills simply have clips and you pry up and lift and they pop off. The clips are metal, and can easily be replaced back in if they get away from you.

The plastic piece where the hood release is, you first have to remove the dead pedal (I think), then a screw somewhere, and it will come loose.

If you have a four door, you have to contend with the plastic piece along the B-pillar, and I don't remember how to completely remove that. Apologies.