Castrol Syntec 5W40

Budgell

TDI
Golf.2002,black
You can now buy Castrol Syntec 5W40 at Canadian Tire stores. I just puchased a litre for $9 Canadian.

Bob

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Quote:>>yep, its fully synthetic syntec 5W40 for VW engines.<<

I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the "synthetic" Syntec is NOT fully synthetic, although the advertising says it is... What's the rating on it? CF4, CG4 or higher?

In any case, I use the Shell Rotella T Full Synthetic (which may not be, either)...

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Quote:>>yep, its fully synthetic syntec 5W40 for VW engines.<<

I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the "synthetic" Syntec is NOT fully synthetic, although the advertising says it is... What's the rating on it? CF4, CG4 or higher?

In any case, I use the Shell Rotella T Full Synthetic (which may not be, either)...
Under the US definition of "synthetic", oils made of group III, IV, or V base stocks are "synthetic". Under some other definitions, only group IV or V base stock oils are "synthetic". Group III base stocks are highly processed mineral oils with viscosity index and other properties very close to those of group IV polyalphaolefins, which are built up from smaller hydrocarbons from natural gas.

Castrol Syntec, Shell Rotella T Synthetic, and most other mass market "synthetic" oils in the US are group III based. Mobil 1 and Delvac 1 products are, however, group IV and V based.

Castrol Syntec 5W-40 (but not 5W-30) has the VW 505.00 rating for suitability in non-PD TDI engines in the US. Among API ratings, it has CF, which is not relevant to TDI engines (CF != CF-4).

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
If you can find Castrol Syntec which says "MADE IN GERMANY", it is full synthetic group IV or V. It is available in the US. AutoZone carries it in my area. It is rated VW505.00 (and 502 00 and 503 01 , API SL/CF (Not CF4), ACEA: A3/B3 B4-98 It is also MB 229.1 and MB 229.3. I have only seen this in 0w30. Again the label must state "MADE IN GERMANY" on the back under the "Castrol" logo. The analysis I have seen on this stuff is great, but it reacts differently in different manufacturers engines. It might use oil in one engine and not in another, it is weird that way.

2002_tdinut

TDI
Looking for a new TDI ...
Hi,

I found Castrol 5W-40 that is "Made in Belgium". Does anyone know if that is still a group III or group IV oil?

Joe

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
BITOG have found information which points towards PAO/ester content. Its also referred to on the Castrol USA site. I haven't come across this oil yet.