Brake Lights not working, bad brake light switch

KJC58

TDI
Jetta, 2000, Silver
I replaced my brake light switch today on my 2000 TDI Jetta since my glow plug indicator was flashing and the break lights were not working, but my brake lights are still not working and the light is still flashing. The brake light switch that dealer sold my is a little different form the original but the parts clerk told me that it should work. Help? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Did you verify that the bulbs are good?

Did you install the switch while holding the pedal in the "up" position?

Chimney

TDI
'00 Jetta TDI 5spd 275k => '06 Jetta TDI SE DSG (RIP 177k) => '13 Passat TDI SEL Premium
My 2000 Jetta TDI (80k miles) just started doing the same thing!

I was wondering if I should change the brake switch or a relay. I've posted the question at VW Vortex, waiting on a reply. I'll call an online parts store and see what they recommend.

Has your L-R blinkers started 'dinging' a little differently? Mine have, my wife even noticed. Not sure if it is related (bulbs?).

If one bulb went, why would the whole circuit back to the ECM fail?

Thanks!
Jim

SmokingSoul

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Bora TDI 115hp, Gray
I've had the same problem recently, but I did not need to change de brake pedal sensor.
I've cleaned it wit a spray for electronic circuits, made it cycle through its full range 5 or 6 times and "voilá", its working again, the glow plug light disappeared, and the brakes lights are functioning again.
Maybe you did not need to buy another one. try cleaning the original sensor and using it again if everything else fails.
Maybe you will have some luck !

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Full instructions for replaceing and or adjusting the new brake light switch.-------------------------------------------On the new brake switches you START with the plunger all the way out. Holding the brake pedal UP install the brake switch and turn til it latches this will set the Plunger in the correct spot.---FRom the bentley CD------------------------Pull out brake light switch plunger to full extension.

- Keep brake pedal in up position (IMPORTANT! hold pedal up if necessary while installing switch).

- Guide switch through mounting hole (only fits in one position).

- Seat switch fully into opening (pressing plunger against pedal to adjust.

- Seat switch by turning it 45 clockwise. This action also turns the plunger shoe into the correct orientation to make electrical contracts in switch operate as well as locks in plunger adjustment.

- Connect brake light switch connector.

- Operate brake pedal to verify proper function.

- Reinstall lower cover panel.

jrotten

There was a factory recall on that issue on my 2001 beetle. You should check to see if your car was on the list.

KJC58

TDI
Jetta, 2000, Silver
Thanks for the instruction and advice. The parts man at the dealer may have given some wrong information for the install. He said to not to push in on the plugger on the switch. So I held the brake pedal down all the way when I install the switch. I released the pedal after I rotated the switch it 45 degrees clockwise. When I drove the car to work today, the brake lights where still not working and it felt a little like the switch was sticking when I depressed the brake pedal. The glow plug indicator flashed all day; however, when I was pulling in the driveway this evening the light stopped flashing and went out. The brake lights also started working. Do you think the switch kicked in or perhaps I have a short in brake light wiring?

Thanks.

KJC58

TDI
Jetta, 2000, Silver
Birdman, what do mean by holding pedal up. When I installed the new brake light switch, I held the pedal down so the plunger wouldn't be pushed in. The parts person from the VW dealer advised me not to push in on the plunger when installing the new switch. Thanks. Ken Cunningham

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Just what the book says HOLD the pedal UP toward the top of the car. with the plunger out. the directions above are off the Bentley CD. The OLD model switchs the pedal was in the down state like you are trying to stop the car. All the new ones the pedal needs to be up to adjust right. New switches should have a C or above on them and only rotate 45% where the old style turned a full 90%.