HELP: VW Dealer is Giving me the shaft in NW Indiana.

Steelworx

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportswagon
Purchased a used 2012 TDI Jetta Wagon for my wife, two months after purchase the whole TDI Fiasco surfaced. After discovering that ours was one of the ones affected we signed up. We were told that there was no software fix yet. This past February the service engine light came on so I told my wife to take it in to Team VW in Merrillville, In. We were told that they can't even read it/clear the fault until the emissions update was in and the vehicle was fine to drive that it was just a software issue. When VW notified us that the update was in we made an appt to get it done but were told they cannot do it until we have repairs made to the DPF and other items totalling over $3000. All of the items they are saying need to be replaced will be covered by the extended warranty once the update is in. Anyone else have this happen and anyone know of a reputable shop for VW's in NW Indiana?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
since you were the owner when the mess hit the fan, you have a choice to fix or sell back.

as you found out, the car has to be free of specific errors, some of which are expensive to fix, before they will fix the car and get you a cash bonus.

several folks are in a similar situation. an independent service shop can likely fix the DPF problem for less than the dealer wants.

but even if you do go to the dealer, and end up paying $3k before the fix, you still get a warranty for four years or so on the engine, fuel, and exhaust systems, and $2k plus to buy stuff with.

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
What do you mean by “Service Engine Light”? You mean a MIL (most other cars call this a CEL)?

You need to tell us the actual code (P followed by four numbers)

Seems kinda flaky to say it is just a software issue and then later say you need to replace a very expensive part.

Go to Autozone or another place that will read the code and post that here.

In the meantime I would find another dealer this one sounds very scammy

Analogeezer

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
There were multiple software emissions updates before the diesegate fix.

ao you bought used in July/Augt '15 then you got a CEL in Feb '17?

Have you been driving since Feb with a CEL?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Some dealers weren't well informed about repairing cars under warranty after dieselgate broke, but before a fix was available. They did turn customers away. But the dealer isn't scamming you, you have a failed component that needs to be repaired prior to the dealer installing the fix. A number of folks have managed to get VW to pay for that repair by doing something like the above post describes. But technically VW isn't obligated to pay for fixing your DPF. However, if the car was under the emissions warranty when you first brought it in with the issue and you can prove that, it could be a warranty repair.