post fix DSG update failure - bricked cars with no solution from VW

Howie09tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI(buyback gone) 2015 BEETLE TDI
Has anyone had any update the software fix for the early 09 tdi's with dsg?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I called my dealer service rep to get updated mileage number for the buyback.

He said they have not heard anything at all.

Meg8

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
My ABS light is on and brake lights blinking....since the ABS module service campaign was addressed with my emissions recall, I am now terrified to take it back in.
Seriously, I had not a single problem with this vehicle from my purchase in 2010 until past Summer :(

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Take it in. A brake malfunction is the last thing you need.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I agree. take it in. call them up first and tell then exactly what you are observing.

the emissions fix delay due to software version issues is unrelated to the abs problem. there is no way this will take your car out of service for months.

if it makes you feel better, tell them you want to wait for the car when you make the appt.

brakes are a good thing to have confidence in.

I would do this without delay

Meg8

TDI
Thank you both for the advice! Spoke to the the service manager this morning and he echoed the same thoughts. . . now I'm just enjoying the free coffee and wifi! :eek:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Glad to hear it.

in general, flashing instrument panel lights on one of these cars is not a good thing to ignore

Meg8

TDI
Still waiting on my vehicle, due to some "clips" for the ABS module, covered under the service campaign warranty, that were supposed to arrive to my dealership first thing this morning. So I am back in a very similar TSI jetta sedan loaner. It's a dreaded deja vu incident.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
At least it's covered under warranty. Driving a free loaner for a bit beats the heck out of running over some kid crossing the street because of a brake failure.

MCP

TDI
Jetta
Hi, just had a question for those of you that did get your car back: after sitting for several months, did you experience any problems from just not being driven? If so, what did VW and/or the dealership do about it?
My 2009 Jetta Sportwagen went in for the fix on 7 September 2017 and is still sitting on the dealer's lot. I was told that the fix did not take because I took the car to Germany with me, and when I had warranty work done over there, some German software was uploaded. I would rather keep the car, and am told there is new software in the pipeline. Just last week, I was told by the TDI settlement people that I can now change my option to buyback. I am having trouble getting someone at the settlement division or VW Cares to discuss what will happen if issues arise due to the car not being driven for months. The dealer won't discuss it either.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My car is still at the lot, and I opted to change to buyback.

but here are a couple thoughts anyway:

The terms of the settlement are that the engine is covered as is the emissions.

the service rep at the dealer I went to said that if the tires developed flat spots, it would be on VW. ( I was asking them to move the car at least every month or so)

I was able to drive up to my car in the back lot at the dealer, and observed a couple things.

there were some door scuffs from all the moving around the lot for four months.

the bird droppings were washed off, but the power washer removed protective coating on the headlights. they were just starting to craze on the outside from UV, but now are full on dull.

the battery was fully dead. if nothing is done soon, I would wonder about a cracked case or shorted cell from freezing in a few weeks when it gets really cold.

but none of this is critical. if you like the car, the $5100 will more than cover maintenance items. if something comes up, you can ask them to look at it, and they either will fix it or not. and may pick up the cost, or hand you a bill.

there are plenty of cases of cars parked for months, and all the unsold 2015 TDIs that went off lots into service after storage for years.

the dirty little secret is, these cars are driveable.

a month ago, i jumped mine and started it, hooked up the VCDS and verified the engine and transmission software versions had not changed. they put new parts in, but did not even reset the engine software to reflect a new DPF. the soot levels were where they were when I dropped it off. (had polar fis+ installed so could see soot levels on the MFD) it went through the gears fine, and moved a few feet under its own power.

I am not sure of the consequences if you would just drive your car off the lot, and tell them to call you when they get software, but it is your car. my guess is that VW would not be happy, due to non-approved emissions driving around. (they would be in trouble....) It also would be outside the agreement you had notarized before giving them the car for the fix. the different NOX cat and EGR might throw codes with the old software.

but a loaner is a cleaner option. (as long as it meets your current transportation needs)

just take another look at the compensation they would provide, check current values (edmunds, NADA, ...) and consider your options.

either way, at least you now can change back if you like, or still wait for the software fix, driving a loaner. the incentive $$ will not show up until this ordeal is resolved, either from VW or from Bosch.

We now know that a Polar FIS+ will not work on the engine after updates, since the spanish folks who program it have not updated software for the post-fix versions.

Last edited:

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
MCP - how many miles on your Jetta?
I have to say that our 2009 is running fine with the fix. It was not subject to the trans problem. I think it's at 212k miles now. About 10k after the fix. MPG seems to be about the same but have only checked a couple times. If you can get new tires and battery then I would think little else could go wrong just sitting for a few months.
We test drove many many cars before going in for the fix. Basically we could not find a car that we enjoyed driving as much as this TDI. So for us the decision was simple. Sometimes you need to look beyond the dollars and look at the whole big picture.
One of the biggest pluses for the Jetta was we felt it was a safer car then many others. Seating position in the car, visibility, placement of controls, etc all are factors in avoiding an accident.

MCP

TDI
Jetta
We are at 108K. It's a manual transmission, can't beat the mpg's, and we love it. It's good to hear you had no problems afterward. We are content to wait it out and drive the rental, I was just wondering what to expect after 4+ months of sitting, especially now that it's winter, and if any dealers are actually taking care of that stuff.

mpriolo

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan, DSG, CP3 HPFP
We are at 108K. It's a manual transmission, can't beat the mpg's, and we love it. It's good to hear you had no problems afterward. We are content to wait it out and drive the rental, I was just wondering what to expect after 4+ months of sitting, especially now that it's winter, and if any dealers are actually taking care of that stuff.
Manual transmission?? The software issue has been with DSG transmissions. I have not heard of software issues with any manual transmissions. You would be the first.

My 09 was at the dealership for 11 weeks and I had no issues from it sitting for that length of time. Tires were flat spotted initially, but are fine now. Fortunately I picked up the car at the end of November, before the cold weather set in. I'm at 182K miles and am glad I took the fix - even with the extended wait.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
....... I have not heard of software issues with any manual transmissions. You would be the first.
his is because of a European software update.

seems the post-fix software update is picky about the specific engine and dsg software versions installed.

his case would have made sense, (version update applied outside the US) but for VW not to anticipate the software versions for cars they made for the US market is grossly incompetent. especially since they took three months to come up with an update, and even that seemed not to take on all the cars. (ya, this still ticks me off.)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
And, considering that this is a US spec car, you would think that they could either overwrite the Euro stuff (and gotta wonder how they were able to load that in the first place, with all the checks in play) or simply replace the modules and send him on his way, and bench load the old ones and return them to the parts pool. Something just seems a bit 'off' here . . .

Woza

TDI
2009 Jetta CR DSG. 2002 Jetta scrapped The ALH engine is being used in my Project
Hi All I got my 2009 CR DSG Jetta back after 2 months in the Dealer Workshop. There is some difference in the cars performance. It does not have the hesitation it had previously when I needed to get moving. The car also seems to have a bit more pep when I stomp on it, All in all I am just happy to get my Jetta back. I did stir the pot at VW America. I found some of the names of the top management and sent them all an E-Mail regarding their lethargic response to the problem they created. The dealer that my Jetta was bricked at Was Awesome they gave me the top of the range Tiguan loner. Nice. Put 4000 miles on it. The Tiguan is also now parked in mu garage. Got it at $30k. Wife has now claimed the Tiguan. Got the $5100-00 check From VW America and also received the $350-00 check from Bosch. It appears that each fix is regulated and made specifically for each vehicle. Because when the fix arrived at the my dealer, the dealer used it on my car then tried it on another car in the workshop for the fix and it failed on that car. Anybody seen this

Howie09tdi

TDI
What's the Date of MFg on your 2009? Mine is 08/08 and still waiting for software fix.

MCP

TDI
Jetta
Switching to buyback after getting bricked

Another question for Mike:
We have been making inquiries about changing to buyback option. We are being told we have to go back to step 8, and that the claim has to be reviewed and approved. We could not get anyone to confirm that the car will be bought back even though it is currently inoperable (at least to us). How did you know they would actually buy it back when you switched? It boggles the mind that they can break it and then say they won't buy it back, but we are rereading the settlement terms and the car does not technically qualify.

Thanks so much for your insights...glad I found this group even though the original causes of our cars getting bricked were different.

P.S. They still won't tell me whether or not they will fix any problems that arise from just not being driven for 4+ months. I'm on my 3rd department...dealer support, oddly enough.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
reset to step 8 is just the normal path between choices.

I was worried about operability, but the service rep at the dealer pointed out they were under instructions not to even start the car. I even went so far as to pull and charge the battery at home. (the dealer had left the car where I could get to it..I also pulled the polar fis from the car and wanted to verify the car would still start after the modification back to stock)

my question from a call to the website number was initially that I would have to drive the car to the appt "under its own 2.0 liter diesel power", but a persistent query to ask the supervisor resulted in assurance that in our cases, we were not responsible to demonstrate the ability of the car to propel itself. having driven the car to the fix appt four months ago was enough, I guess.

my car is still at the dealer, I pulled the plates off and dropped insurance coverage when I moved on to the 2017 gsw. my buyback appt is next monday afternoon, so will update.

since both the dealer service rep and the dieselgate customer interface number assured me i would not have to drive the car, I am not worried.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the mail brought an updated dieselgate booklet.

this one references some DSG 2009 cars which need a mechatronic replacement and repeats the 4 yr warranty details.

this would be a nice update if you can keep the car, and opt for the fix.

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium

this one references some dsg gen one cars which need a mechatronic replacement and repeats the 4 yr warranty details.

Hmm. The booklet in the www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen1_Automatic_Final.pdf site doesn't have this update. I would think they would have the most current in there like the new one you got. Does this updated manual exist somewhere on the internet?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/mech_booklet001.pdf

I scanned the insides of the booklet to this pdf file. you will have to rotate twice in your viewer or print to read (or stand on your head)

I just finished driving 8 hours home so this is the best I can do for now.

bottom line is that owners of affected cars should expect this in the mail.

the updated fix seems to be available now. which is good news.

I think it is too late for me. if you are hankerin for a fixed 2009 DSG wagon with the new parts, let me know by next Monday. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=485233

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Wow. What's nice to see on this updated version for certain MY2009 vehicles is that the entire DSG is now also covered by the extended warranty. I suspect proof of 40k mile oil changes from the time the mechatronic unit is replaced will need to be provided in order to have the extended warranty cover certain types of transmission failure. However, this is quite a nice addition to the extended warranty scope. Very nice.

Howie09tdi

TDI
this one references some DSG 2009 cars which need a mechatronic replacement and repeats the 4 yr warranty details.
Received the update Dieselgate booklet and letter from VW that my mfg
model year tdi will need the TMU replaced called my dealer friday afternoon still waiting for a return call to confirm.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
went in early, since there is freezing rain expected later in the day

Buyback agent walked to the car, put in key (which I got from the service desk) and verified miles. she tried to start it, but did not blink when it did not turn over.

she told me that the process is going to change to include more owner demonstration, but I would not expect this to impact those few of us who had the car sitting in service limbo for four months.

the dealer service rep was unaware of the pending updated fix, with the DSG Mechatronic replacement.

Last edited:

Howie09tdi

TDI
went in early, since there is freezing rain expected later in the day

Buyback agent walked to the car, put in key (which I got from the service desk) and verified miles. she tried to start it, but did not blink when it did not turn over.

she told me that the process is going to change to include more owner demonstration, but I would not expect this to impact those few of us who had the car sitting in service limbo for four months.

the dealer service rep was unaware of the pending updated fix, with the DSG Mechatronic replacement.
My dealer service rep didn't get back to me till I reached out to him again yesterday same response has no info regarding mechatronic replacement says he even called TDI hotline and they had no info.
he asked me to fax him the letter I received. What is going on? Is VW not informing their dealers? Will wait and see what response we get today if I get one.

skinnybees

TDI
2009 Jetta 2.0L
Just another data point for anyone curious...

I was informed 1-2 weeks ago by my dealership that the software fix for Gen 1 TDI's was ready. This had been the sticking point for me. The hardware fix was ready but they couldn't do anything until the software update could be made. I think it was 6 months or more that I had been waiting for the software update.

They also took care of a couple of other recalls and some regular maintenance, so altogether it took about 2 days to make the updates.

I received an email this morning from VW USA regarding the restitution payment which I should get this week.