Extended Warrantee?

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback: Golf TDI 2011 / Now have Golf TDI 2015
Hi All, I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here. I did a bit of searching on this site and am still not sure. I'm picking up my used Golf TDI SEL with 35k miles on Monday and doing the buy-back of my 2011 at the same time.

I know there's an extended emissions warranty for all TDIs, and the dealership is also offering a more comprehensive 100k mile extended warranty which includes road side assistance, etc.

What are the feelings of the group here about getting the regular extended warranty on top of the extended emissions warranty? Thanks, as always, for your input.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
waste of money

If you think the vehicle that you are buying is so unreliable as to need an extended warranty, perhaps you should be purchasing a different vehicle. (How was your 2011 TDI? Good enough that you'd buy again - so was a warranty wanted/needed?)

The extended emissions warranty covers almost all of the expensive engine bits. It is quite comprehensive.

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! I did get an extended warranty on the 2011 because I was concerned about the HPFP, but I realize that's covered in the emissions warranty.

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
I took your advice and decided against the extended warranty. I realized that, with the amount I drive, I'll be close to the 100k limit after 2 years anyway. The car already comes with a 24k mile warranty which should last me a little less than a year. So it's almost $2k for 1 extra year (or 1.5) of warranty. Definitely not worth it.

I do like the roadside assistance so I'll have to find another company that provides that after the 24k miles are up.

Thanks again for all the advice, I'm excited to pick up the new-for-me car on Monday! So glad I can stay with the forum. It's one of the many reasons I wanted to stay in a TDI. You guys are great!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Most insurance companies have roadside assistance as an available option. Mine charges just over $1 a month for all cars and drivers, even in someone else's car.

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Most insurance companies have roadside assistance as an available option. Mine charges just over $1 a month for all cars and drivers, even in someone else's car.
I didn't realize that! Sounds like a great option. I'll look into it with my insurance company. Thanks!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Also GEICO (and maybe others) offer MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance). For me it is $50 every 6 months. Only for new cars with less than 15k miles though. My new 2015 I just bought qualifies for this. 7 years/100k miles covers everything not considered regular maintenance item. Between the new car warranty and GEICO MBI and the extended 162k/11 year warranty I think I am covered about as well as you possibly could be and cost effective.