Replacing eve filter and /or cracked dpf before fix?

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
If I were you I'd but the dieselgeek P2015 fix for $68, and a used "clean" EGR filter before you go in.
I have the diesel geek P2015 repair bracket and it has been installed for over a year.

I pulled the codes and call Jim at dieselgeek, I’m actually getting a P 2004 and a P 2006. Jim recommended I check to be sure the actuator arm is correctly seated on the balls.

Turns out that cured my CEL after I cleared the codes.

I’ve driven 400 miles now, and the EGR low pressure has not returned either.

If all goes well I will show up to my appointment with no Codes Pending or active.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
Cleaned my egr filter this morning. Was clogged but not fully. Was getting 401 code. Cleared codes and am going to go through driving cycles and monitor readiness. Torque app has a page which tells you which monitors are ready. Egr was "not ready" as off first drive but after to stops it now shows completed and no code. Will bring to dealer fornfix as soon as all monitors are complete.
I love how you casually mention you cleaned your ERG filter this morning. I wish there was an easy procedure to clean the EGR.

Even the approved fix booklet references cleaning the EGR filter but I can’t find anything in my maintenance schedule or an official procedure to do so.

recommended vehicle maintenance schedule for oil change intervals, Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cleaning, and Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) ash loading as described in your maintenance booklet.
I’ve seen videos of people removing them and burning-off the carbon, and I’ve seen them after being sent to be dipped/ultrasonic but nothing about it seems as casual as your comment above LOL.

Am I missing a simple way to do it?

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
I love how you casually mention you cleaned your ERG filter this morning. I wish there was an easy procedure to clean the EGR.
Even the approved fix booklet references cleaning the EGR filter but I can’t find anything in my maintenance schedule or an official procedure to do so.
I’ve seen videos of people removing them and burning-off the carbon, and I’ve seen them after being sent to be dipped/ultrasonic but nothing about it seems as casual as your comment above LOL.
Well your missing the fact that the egr filter and the dpf are two different things.

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Well your missing tge fact that the egr filter and the dpf are two different things.Mine wasn't very clogged as I stated

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Just to be sure, the metal can in this photo is the low pressure EGR filter.

(the honeycomb structure is the cracked inside of a DPF)

I have not seen any maintenance info from VW that discusses cleaning this EGR filter.

would be interested in any links or references.

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I dropped the car off without resetting anything.

I did turn off the polar fis.

the MIL went out upon my start-up, as I expected, and also as expected, the car went into DPF regeneration on the way in. when it got down to 14 g of soot, I turned off the car at a light, and restarted. this eliminated the active regeneration, and the next few miles let the car cool off a bit.

the service rep only asked if the MIL was on, and then I had to go back to speak with a person on the phone, relaying my registration e-mail, and verifying that I understood that the fix eliminates the possibility of a buy-back.

the loaner is a Jetta gasser.

service rep did say that the recall related to O2 sensor and intake flap was part of the emissions fix.
My guess is it applies to a subset of the gen one cars. do not have time now to research.
Got your car back? Curious what you think.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
not yet.

perhaps tomorrow.

I called them ahead of time to make sure they had all the parts they needed for my 09.

of course they said u bet.

the first afternoon they called and said they needed another day because the subframe had to come down. (for the DPF replace)

today I get the call that it is done, except they need to replace the glow plug controller, which they do not have.

so going on three days.

we have plans for the weekend, seeking the shadow of the moon, in a larger vehicle, so it will end up being next week before I can get the fixed car on the road for some data collection.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
Well your missing tge fact that the egr filter and the dpf are two different things.Mine wasn't very clogged as I stated
I know the difference between the EGR and the DPF.

How did you clean your EGR? You made it sound simple and I want to clean mine if you know an easy way.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I have not seen any maintenance info from VW that discusses cleaning this EGR filter.
would be interested in any links or references.
Me too.
The only place I’ve seen VW mention it is in the approved fix booklet for my 09(Manual transmission): (look at page 6) https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/emissions/VW_BOOKLET_2L-Gen-1-MAN-v4.pdf

page 6
Changes in Maintenance Schedule
The emissions modification of your Volkswagen does not affect the recommended vehicle maintenance schedule for oil change intervals and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cleaning as described in your maintenance booklet.

Last edited:

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
I know the difference between the EGR and the DPF.
How did you clean your EGR? You made it sound simple and I want to clean mine if you know an easy way.
I cleaned the egr filter. If your asking how I removed it do a search there are threads dedicated to that. Getting to the top bolt was easier than I thought. I reached down with my phone and took a picture and that made finding it easier.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I cleaned the egr filter. If your asking how I removed it do a search there are threads dedicated to that. Getting to the top bolt was easier than I thought. I reached down with my phone and took a picture and that made finding it easier.
I’ll dig for an in depth answer.

At a high-level im curious, though... I’m assuming you were able to scrape out the obvious carbon buildups or did you burn it out using the torch method?

How long did it take you to do?

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Well still trying to get car just right before fix. Only issue now is a past fault that has been comimg up. P240f. Torque app shows this as a"historic fault". From my research this is a fault that was from a past issue and can inly be cleared by the dealer. My vw guru cleared it yesterday but its back. Its not a pending fault or a current fault. I did read there is a bullitan out that the dealer needs to update firmware to make this go away if everything else is ok. May just bring in for fix with light on and bring doc about firmware update

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
I’ll dig for an in depth answer.

At a high-level im curious, though... I’m assuming you were able to scrape out the obvious carbon buildups or did you burn it out using the torch method?

How long did it take you to do?

I think this may be what you are looking for. Edit: Just realized you're looking at the EGR filter not valve. Still may be useful for someone though.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/intake-manifold-egr-and-throttle-valve-removal-cjaa-cbea-audi-vw-2-0l-tdi-engine/

Last edited:

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Update. My local dealer informed me this morning at my appointment that they dont have parts for the fix for my car(2011). So....call National VW in Jacksonville NC. They say they cant get me in till Sept but even with the ege issue they will take care of it and we will work it out after fix. So I call dealer in SC and make appointment for Wend next week. Get a call back and they tell me all emmisions related faults must be fixed prior to coming in for the recall....even if the recall would have fixed the issue in the first place. Screw VW

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
My dealer started my repair this morning. No CEL and no codes when I dropped it off (though I do get periodic P0401 code and I have soot in my tailpipe -- aka cracked DPF and plugged EGR filter). That will all be replaced since I have a 2009.

They have started the fix, they called to tell me they need to order "a module" (I'm guessing the Glow Plug module since I have an '09). They also had to do the full ABS recall including new parts and flushing the brake system (mine failed the test after they updated the ABS module software).

So they think they will probably have my car until Thursday.

OK with me since they gave me a '17 Passat to drive until mine's done (even though when I scheduled it on the 11th they told me they wouldn't be able to give me a loaner).

Looking forward to having it all fixed!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the fix (and all 2009-2014) includes an updated low pressure EGR filter.

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
meerschm, where did you go to get it done? tysons, chantilly or alexandria? ive got my appt for tysons on thursday, and im planning on cleaning out my tailpipe so maybe that will hekp it through

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
meerschm, where did you go to get it done? tysons, chantilly or alexandria? ive got my appt for tysons on thursday, and im planning on cleaning out my tailpipe so maybe that will hekp it through
Do you have a check engine light on for po401? If so VW is going to require you to have that repaired at your cost before the fix. Even if the fix would clear the code. That info is from the VW dealer in Mrytle Bc SC. They recieved an email from VW Friday last week stating that. Same old thing, probably make you pay for new dpf and that would eat alot of the fix money

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
yes i do, but i can get it to clear for a day then it comes back. i was thinking of wiping out my muffler as well as clearing the code before i brought it to them

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
yes i do, but i can get it to clear for a day then it comes back. i was thinking of wiping out my muffler as well as clearing the code before i brought it to them
I wish you luck. Really wish vw would have just replaced the dpf on our cars anyway. They have to realize many are on their way out and they will have to warrenty them anyhow

Last edited:

mattyams

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
the fix (and all 2009-2014) includes an updated low pressure EGR filter.
If that is the case, then folks with the 09 should not have to worry about a MIL for P0401 if the LP EGR and the DPF are getting replaced. Am I off base on that?

I'm taking mine to my pops dealership tomorrow for the fix, I guess we'll see.

dieseldreamin

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
The wont complete my Mod

Dropped my car off this morning to have the modification complete (no check engine light)

They just called and said that they cant complete the modification on my 2010 jsw until I paid them $2242 to have the DPF replaced.

NOT HAPPY AT ALL.

What should I do now?! :mad:

mj1053

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI DSG
Same boat here, dropped off 10 Jetta 6mt sedan for recall. It had a cel (dpf) for a while. Dealer called and said they had to have the codes cleared before the recall could be addressed. He said it was $130 to read the codes. I said go ahead and run the scan and let me know. I haven't heard back as of yet. I'm not paying $2200 for a dpf, and then get the fix. :mad:

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I took mine to springfield. (where they have been working on it without complete success.... seems the software update is not completing for them....)

Cleaning out the tailpipe will not do much.

if you have a cracked DPF, and the ECU has stored codes for P0401, it seems they are insisting on a DPF repair before proceeding with the fix. for a 2012, this would be on your nickel.

good luck.

mj1053

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI DSG
Ughhh, dealer in Austin says the following codes exist and need to be cleared before any fix. Parts and Labor included:

DPF=$4220
EGR=$670
Engine Harness=$9600.75

That's $14,490.75 to fix the car, we'll be changing to buyback. We appealed to VWOA, but I know the outcome. Bad business VW, thats was my 3rd car.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If that is the case, then folks with the 09 should not have to worry about a MIL for P0401 if the LP EGR and the DPF are getting replaced. Am I off base on that?

I'm taking mine to my pops dealership tomorrow for the fix, I guess we'll see.

I think the MIL would open a discussion, but stored P0401 codes did not cause any issues with my "fix". my expectation is that for a 2009, they have to replace the DPF anyway, so there should be no problem.

(the car is still there a week later, since they are still trying to get the software update to install properly, but that is a different issue)

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Ughhh, dealer in Austin says the following codes exist and need to be cleared before any fix. Parts and Labor included:

DPF=$4220
EGR=$670
Engine Harness=$9600.75

That's $14,490.75 to fix the car, we'll be changing to buyback. We appealed to VWOA, but I know the outcome. Bad business VW, thats was my 3rd car.
Wow... that's insane!

What's the deal with the engine harness?

mj1053

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI DSG
Tankbuster,

They said it was throwing intermittant codes, and according to them the only way to check it all is to remove the harness. They probably could have found the short, but I still would have to fight VWoA with the DPF and EGR. It had 187K on the car. To top it off, I called 4-5 times asking about the status, and for someone to call me. Pretty poor job by the service department at Onion Creek and most of all VWoA.

Hopefully this will help others so they don't get caught in the same situation.