Now that the Gen 1 fix is out: Contemplating the Gen 3 for Gen 1 swap

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Golf and GSW. The '15 Jetta is still on an adaptation of the MKV/VI platform.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Just to clarify . . . does the MK VII designation apply to 2015 Jetta's or just Golf's?
VW screwed us all up my making the Mk6 Jetta unrelated to the Mk6 Golf (which was a tweaked Mk5). The Mk7 Golf redesign did not affect the Jetta, which only had some styling tweaks. We hope and think that order will be restored with Mk8 due in 2019...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I believe 2018. It'll move to the MQB platform that all VWs will eventually use. I've seen some spy photos and it doesn't look a lot different than the current car, but underneath it'll be a big developmental step.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I believe 2018. It'll move to the MQB platform that all VWs will eventually use. I've seen some spy photos and it doesn't look a lot different than the current car, but underneath it'll be a big developmental step.
What's "MQB"?

And what are the big changes "underneath"?

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Current modular platform developed by VAG. Totally new for the Jetta, currently the platform for Mk7 vehicles plus new Tiguan and Atlas.

"The Volkswagen Group MQB platform is the company's strategy for shared modular construction of its transverse, front-engined, front-wheel drive (optional four-wheel drive) automobiles. Volkswagen spent roughly $60bn[1] developing this new platform and cars built upon it. The platform underpins a wide range of cars from the supermini class to the full size SUV class. MQB allows Volkswagen to assemble any of its cars based on this platform across all of its MQB ready factories. This allows the Volkswagen group flexibility to shift production as needed between its different factories. Beginning in 2012, Volkswagen Group marketed the strategy under the code name MQB, which stands for Modularer Querbaukasten, translating from German to "Modular Transversal Toolkit" or "Modular Transverse Matrix".[2][3] MQB is one strategy within VW's overall MB (Modularer Baukasten or modular matrix) program which also includes the similar MLB strategy for vehicles with longitudinal engine orientation.[4]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_MQB_platform

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The rendering in the post above is not accurate. The real one is probably this:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8771593-Volkswagen-Jetta-2018-undisguised

As for "MQB" the post a couple up covers it in general. "What's different" - compared to the existing vehicle, a lot. MQB commonizes components and systems between all models built on that platform. It is also intended to be modular; every available powertrain connects to the vehicle in the same manner. The vehicle in the photo above will be the same as the Mk7 Golf underneath - that vehicle already is built on MQB.

"When" ... sometime in 2018. Whether they call it a 2018 or a 2019 remains to be seen.

Last edited:

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
As of Aug 2017 I'm glad I didn't sell my TDI back. Seeing the TDI "fix" with the warranty increase (and system component coverages) has validated my decision. I exhaustively searched a replacement vehicle with similar performance to no avail (based on the buy back $$). I just could not get equal performance without a significant chunk of change brought to close a deal and I sure in heck was not going to pay "new" car prices (not to mention all engine complexities based on emissions that makes doing your own mx challenging on the new models) . My 2010 looks new, has been 100% reliable (norm mx schedule by me) still drives superb and is relatively easy to work on/maintain. I'll hold off until next year for the "fix," use the $$ to buy new rubber and shoes. I bet there are a bunch of folks who wish they would have kept their diesel.

Last edited:

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
If the buyback on my 2011 wasn't >$20,000, I wouldn't be considering replacing it with a newer car, i.e., a 2015 GSW TDI. But that amount keeps me thinking about it.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
3. The original poster's Gen 1 - if the HPFP hasn't already been replaced - is one of the early ones before Bosch started making unannounced/undocumented design changes to them.
I have a MY2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 80,000 miles, haven't replaced the HPFP yet. Mine was built on 3/2010. Do I have an early Bosch HPFP, or do I have one of later HPFPs having unannounced/undocumented design changes that is leading them to failure?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No one knows when Bosch started making design changes, but 2010 was pretty early on. Bear in mind that according to VW and Bosch, there was never a design problem with these pumps, all of the failures were because of "bad fuel", so there never were any design changes. The big thread elsewhere in this forum that discusses the HPFP failures starts in early 2011, so it started becoming a known issue somewhat before then, but changes to the pumps to address the failures probably wouldn't have started until sometime later. When ... no one knows.

"Luck of the draw" has always been a factor here. It's quite possible that you got a good one. You're not a high mileage driver, though.

I believe you are still under the extended warranty that was provided for the HPFP before 2012. If you want to keep the car, a reasonable course of action is to file for a fix but delay it until you use up as much of the 120,000 mi extended HPFP warranty as you can and then get the fix done which will extend it for another 48,000 / 54,000 mi.

'Course, we have a current situation on the forums where VW is being a stickler by not covering a failed HPFP under that extended warranty, claiming "bad fuel", so it is also entirely reasonable to let VW have the car back and let them shred it for you.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
What is it about the fuel that VW is calling "bad" that they feel could lead to a HPFP failure?

What fuel retailers or distributors in the US are selling known "bad" fuel that VW claims is the cause for these HPFP failures?

Is there a limit limit on the extended HPFP warranty, or is it strictly a mileage limit?

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Bad fuel usually means water or gasoline present in the diesel.

I don't think there are known "bad diesel" fuel retailers, though most who are worried will only fill up at well-known stations (e.g., Shell).

The only limit I know of on the pre-fix HPFP warranty is mileage.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
I just saw the extended HPFP warranty is 10 years from the original "placed in service date" of the vehicle, or 120,000 miles, whichever happens first, plus both conditions need to apply:

(a) the misfueling adapter is installed, and
(b) the fuel doesn't fail a test for contamination

I'm not sure I know what the misfueling adapter is - hope I have it. I don't know how to protect myself from fuel contamination if it originated in a fuel station tank/pump system.

Would using a product like Diesel-Kleen help reduce the potential for problems? Or would such an additive cause other more or other problems - meaning best not to use a diesel fuel additive?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you have (A) A big yellow sticker "diesel fuel only" surrounding the filler neck, and (B) an attempt to insert a gasoline filler nozzle into your filler neck fails (you don't have to turn the pump on .. just try to insert the nozzle) because of a little gizmo down inside the filler neck, you have the misfueling adapter.

If a gasoline filler nozzle can be successfully inserted without restriction, you don't.

This was a recall/campaign at some time during the HPFP debacle, but a lot of people ripped the misfueling adapter out again because it was a nuisance to use.

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen
Does anyone have a link to warranty info? I'd like to read and understand what it means in comparing a fix for my 2010 SportWagen (52,000 miles) vs. a 2015 SportWagen with about 17,000 miles.
It looks like I can get into a 2015 SE for about $2,500 more than the buyback on my 2010, meaning I'm actually out of pocket about $7.5k since I won't get the settlement cash. That's a lot to pay for a backup camera (my one fervent wish), so I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense from a warranty or other standpoint.
Also, if the buyback and purchase are done at the same time, has anyone found that that's calculated as a trade so sales tax would only be paid on the difference in price? If I'm paying tax on the full price of the 2015, that makes it much less attractive.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
If you have (A) A big yellow sticker "diesel fuel only" surrounding the filler neck, and (B) an attempt to insert a gasoline filler nozzle into your filler neck fails (you don't have to turn the pump on .. just try to insert the nozzle) because of a little gizmo down inside the filler neck, you have the misfueling adapter.

If a gasoline filler nozzle can be successfully inserted without restriction, you don't.

This was a recall/campaign at some time during the HPFP debacle, but a lot of people ripped the misfueling adapter out again because it was a nuisance to use.
I found the information pertaining to the 2013 recall, which showed the parts that needed installation in the filler neck, and a pic of what it looked like after install. I have "most" of that installed on mine, but am missing the spring-loaded flap insert (which sort of makes the rest of it useless). I suspect what is installed won't count towards VW honoring the HPFP extended warranty, so I'll have to see if VW can put in a new spring-loaded flap insert, or a whole new replacement misfuel guard. Glad this was brought up - I'm sure I would have been negatively impacted by this part missing should I experience a HPFP failure in the future.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Also, if the buyback and purchase are done at the same time, has anyone found that that's calculated as a trade so sales tax would only be paid on the difference in price? If I'm paying tax on the full price of the 2015, that makes it much less attractive.
Unfortunately, buyback and replacement purchase are structured as two different transactions with two different entities (you sell back to VW, you buy from the dealer). I think the states wanted to make sure they got to double-dip on this deal....

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
I found the information pertaining to the 2013 recall, which showed the parts that needed installation in the filler neck, and a pic of what it looked like after install. I have "most" of that installed on mine, but am missing the spring-loaded flap insert (which sort of makes the rest of it useless). I suspect what is installed won't count towards VW honoring the HPFP extended warranty, so I'll have to see if VW can put in a new spring-loaded flap insert, or a whole new replacement misfuel guard. Glad this was brought up - I'm sure I would have been negatively impacted by this part missing should I experience a HPFP failure in the future.
I just got a kit for the parts involved in the 2013 mis-fuel prevention campaign, which has the flapper unit that I am missing. Also got that special hard-plastic funnel that works with this kit to be able to use on the large nozzle semi-truck fuel pumps (in an emergency) and to easily put in additives, like DieselKleen. Just put 2,500 miles on it in the past week, using the DieselKleen, and it worked great. Back home, there is a nearby Cenex dealer that sells Roadmaster diesel, and the specs on that diesel are much better cetane and lubricity ratings that most diesel stations, and about equal to the diesel fuel sold in Europe, so I plan to use that Cenex Roadmaster diesel w/o DieselKleen when near home, but will carry the DieselKleen on longer trips. Also, I have a bumper-to-bumper warranty on my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition that takes me into May 2018, and with about 82,500 miles on the clock now, will run the car w/o the emissions fix as long as I can to get the best utility of the emissions fix warranty extension.

By when does a decision need to be made regarding getting the fix or the buy back, and by when does the fix have to be completed before it is no longer available?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
[QUOTE

By when does a decision need to be made regarding getting the fix or the buy back, and by when does the fix have to be completed before it is no longer available?[/QUOTE]

You'll need to check, but I think it all needs to be complete sometime in Sept 2018.