What did you do to your MKIV today?

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
did an oil change yesterday and found a missing end link bolt. yay..... way to many things to do. hopefully soon the 99 TDI will go into its new home. a nice condition 99 2.0l gasser. cant wait to do this swap.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Fired it up after it had been sitting in an airport parking lot for 12 days, enduring the cold and snow and ice of New Hampshire. Maybe 2 seconds of cranking, and it even has 274k miles. Gotta love this car!

Cheers,

PH

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
Finished my heater core job today. Then, immobilizer kicked in. 2 hours later, after reading theu forums, I unplugged the guage cluster and plugged it back in. That cured my issue. Heat works great now and i have much more airflow comming out the vents. While i was inside the dash, I took the time to replace all the foam vent seals with some heavy duty rubber seals. Overall, this job sucks, but I achived my goals of having a non leaking heater core and sealing up all the vents. The blend doors were also cleaned and covered with aluminium duct tape.

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
New VNT 17 Turbo for BEW

I have a car from the NE that lived much of it's time without the underbody shields. While I was checking the VNT actuator, found out it was a useless vacum leak. When I tried removing the actuator only, the rusty bolts snapped.

Installed a new VNT 17 Turbo, oil return and Darkside Development SS oil feed line.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Finally have the engine back in the engine bay of the 03 NB, hope to have it done soon :)

Also bought a 04 jetta with the 1.8t, just because I wanted the South Beach rims off of it for my 03 wagon.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Also bought a 04 jetta with the 1.8t, just because I wanted the South Beach rims off of it for my 03 wagon.
Been trying to find super clean heated gray leather seats in a car, I will buy the whole car just for the seats...

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Thanks to my guru for letting me use one of his lifts this afternoon
to adjust the actuator on my turbo. Lengthened the rod to lift the actuation pressure to 5psi. I was getting spikes, particularly at high
speed in 5th. The locknut was a little too easy to undo, it may have been creeping.

My recent PD150 intake install, EGR delete, and a refurbish of the vacuum system lines and a new N75 valve may have also been a factor.
The turbo is still moving a LOT of air, raising the pressure means the actuator spring shut down the vanes a bit quicker.

In the interests of keeping the intake side of the turbo cleaner, I'm putting together a CCV catch can system. Jeff of RC reckons that
buildup on the turbo blades can cause imbalance and shorten turbo life. And thanks for diagnosing the simple fix of my boost issues.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Jeff's been bugging me to get rid of my CCV for years. I haven't done it. I don't disagree with him, but I've never had a turbo fail.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd

I decided to give my 01 tdi to my son. He’s flying in from Arizona Friday night, hangout a few days before hitting the road back to Arizona 3300 miles. He’s done it several times in less than 3 days. The car runs awesome with rc3 tune, 11mm IP, H&R / Bilstein sports, and and a hole lot of goodies.
He’s only 22 years old, hopefully he takes good care of it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
IBW,

My guru agrees that it's a great idea, necessary?, mehhhh.
He did point out that you have to keep the can drained or you
run the risk of a runaway.

Digging around on Ebay I'll spend less than $40 and have a handfull
of nice liner style hose clamps and a couple feet of hose leftover.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Billet-Aluminum-Oil-Catch-Can-Tank-Bottle-Baffled-For-BMW-N54-335i-535i/123429078088?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Of key note, according to Jeff, is the 3/4" inlet/outlets.

Cheers!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Those hose connections are too small for the required hose diameter on a TDI, I think.

Ayup. Just duplicate the hose size on the existing CCV hardware;
3/4". Any restriction will increase pressure, not what you want.
A barbed PVC pipe fitting will plug right into the rubber grommet
on the valve cover. The intake end is already a barbed fitting.
I've ordered some reinforced 3/4" PVC hose and some liner hose clamps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Breeze-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

My guru is dead set against the standard hose clamp where the
serrations go thru the band.

I do like the idea of an ez read sight level on the can contents.
But checking it every tankfull should be ez enough on the listing
I referenced, screws on and off like an oil filter housing.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Drove 256 miles and calculated a 49mpg fuel economy. It’s amazing how much of a difference speed makes in your fuel economy.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I get right around 50 at an indicated 77, 74 actual. A little more in Summer a little less in the Winter.

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
Succeeded in the coldest start of its life so far, -21F. Had it plugged in for about 4.5 hours before starting it and had a charger on the battery about 1 hour before.

Tomorrow morning will be just as cold, perhaps slightly colder. We'll see how it does.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Added 1L of coolant because the reservoir ball was empty (!?).

Now, to figure out where the coolant is leaking....no obvious pink / white streaks. Doesn't look like the "easy" ones up high like the coolant temp sender or thermostat neck.

Any ideas / thoughts?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Added 1L of coolant because the reservoir ball was empty (!?).
Now, to figure out where the coolant is leaking....no obvious pink / white streaks. Doesn't look like the "easy" ones up high like the coolant temp sender or thermostat neck.
Any ideas / thoughts?
EGR cooler? Head gasket?

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Been trying to find super clean heated gray leather seats in a car, I will buy the whole car just for the seats...
I have a set of fronts in the Beetle that are light grey and only a few years old (been sitting on a shelf for 15 years).

I am looking at getting rid of them as my wife doesn't like them, look to go Recaro or GTI but need some time to buy some and install them.

If only you were closer, these would probable be a great match for what you looking for!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
D4mn you... now I'm wondering how hard it is to put power seats into my car...
I bought a power seat from a GLX Jetta and grabbed the harness out of a GLX passat to swap mine eventually lol

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Even with near zero F temperatures and snow tires, MKIVs still deliver fuel economy.

RollinCoalTDI

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Just had my Atlas skid plate arrive about to install. Very nice peice of equipment.

And being plugged in the golf started at -40C (-40F)....we have something called wind chill here too...the wind effect made it feel like -50.....it wasnt happy but it started!

BearForceOne

TDI
2001 Jetta, Tornado Red
Even with near zero F temperatures and snow tires, MKIVs still deliver fuel economy.
Teach me your secrets! Driving conservatively I've only been getting about 550 per tank, even with a ventectomy! I was getting 45-47mpg before winter but now it's more like 36-38 :(
Would things like a block heater and radiator air dam help or am I grasping at straws?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This tank was 47.2. I don't really drive it gently, will run at 80+ when traffic allows. I do have a winter front, which I think helps a lot. And the car is garaged at night, which I suspect also helps. Nevertheless, this tank included a lot of short trips and some pretty heavy traffic. This car just seems to do well. My '99.5 Golf isn't as frugal.