Triple square 12 point bit, where to get them and what size do I need?

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black
The hatch latch on my Golf is broken and it is held on with two 12 pt. bolts. It is the assembley that bolts on at the bottom of the hatch and grabs the striker/post on the bottom of the trunk. I have tried at Sears hardware as well as the local auto parts stores such as Autozone, Advanced, and Napa to find these, but so far I have had no luck. Where can I buy the one I would need for the job. Is there any online suppliers and does anyone know what size I would need?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I sell these as does metalnerd, (I get them from him). Autozone and other stores also carry them. I don't believe Sears has them, and you have to be persistent at Autozone: a lot of the employees don't know what they are.

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black
Ok, thanks guys, but does anyone know what size I need. It is the same as the two 12 pts on the door jams that hold the door locks in place. Metalnerd was pretty sure that it was the 8mm so I ordered that one.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
FYI, in a pinch, certain Allen bits will go into 6 of the 12 points of certain triple-square sizes. It's not the right way to do this, but in an emergency you do what you need to do.

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
Harbor Freight has a complete setup of security bits for something less then 15 bucks, and is regularly on sale for less then 10.