Clocking Old VNT17 in car

waveblaster200

TDI
Mk4 Wagon, Mk4 Stage 4
I have a nice big boost leak in my turbo outlet pipe to pancake pipe. I have two options either a 1.8T pancake pipe to a adapter with a 2in silicone 45deg coupler. I also have the kerma turbo outlet pipe setup to try.

Either way I have to re-clock the turbo, Is this something I can do with the turbo in the car, Mainly I am worried there is a o ring seal for the compressor cover for the turbo am I going to be able to get it to turn and reseal since this is a older turbo?

Am I better off just pulling the turbo to do all of this?

Thanks!!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
You're gonna have fun getting to all the bolts but you could clock it in the car...might be faster to just pull it and do what ya gotta do and slap it back in...and clean your intake while it's off

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I agree with Wild Child, with the turbo on the bench getting to all the 8mm bolts is a pain, I couldn't imagine trying to re-clock it on the engine. I have done this, that is why I know.
The 1.8T pancake pipe seems to flow a lot more air than the stock TDI one.

Last edited:

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Although you can feel zero difference between 1.8t pancake pipe and the stock one. I wouldn't do it again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

waveblaster200

TDI
Mk4 Wagon, Mk4 Stage 4
Ill have to wait till the weekend to work on the TDI. I agree it will be easier to pull the turbo and clock it. I have a nice big boost leak, I'm pretty sure the Gates Turbo outlet pipe failed again, They keep tearing in the middle of the pipe. I think the outlet adapter to 45 deg coupler to the 1.8T pancake pipe will be the way to go.

waveblaster200

TDI
Mk4 Wagon, Mk4 Stage 4
Well I was planning on pulling the turbo, but I managed to get it done with out pulling it out, yes its a total pita. My EGR has been off the car for a long time, everything is super clean. But no more giant boost leak! I believe this 2in adapter to 2in 45 deg coupler to 1.8T pancake pipe is going to hold up well but time will tell. It is time for a new Upper intercooler to race pipe 90deg pipe, car has 316K on it. I sure love driving this thing all the TQ! Now on to my 2.7T build for the S4.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I did mine on the car, couldn't bothered with all the hassle of taking it all apart to get the turbo off again lol.