Bought a '15 GSW TDI SEL missing NAV card ??

TDIintheSkys

TDI
2015 GSW SEL & 2014 JSW TDIs
I'll keep it real simple. I do not have the car in my possession yet, so I can't get any info off of the head unit, and I can't attach a picture (it's simply a rectangular notification graphic stating: "Please insert data device with valid navigation data") but I do have the VIN.

I'm wondering how I would find the exact NAV card (hopefully the latest version)?

It seems eBay has plenty for sale but I don't want to make a mistake. Thanks for your help!

TDIintheSkys

TDI
While I appreciate your sentiment, I still want to have the NAV working, at least as a backup. Therefore, I'll need the card...

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black
The dealer sent me a new card because the card was missing when I bought my car as a CPO. I got the card and tried the in dash NAV, then went back to my Garmin, Waze, and Google maps. The 2015's are four years old, but the infotainment system and NAV are more like a ten year old car.

TDIintheSkys

TDI
I thought 3rd party vendors were tasked with updating the maps and keeping them current? Why, if it's an SD card, couldn't the data be brought current??

Dealer just gave me two part numbers:
5G9919866Q w/activation license
5G0919866S w/o activation license

Does anyone know what the activation license has to do with anything (remember I have no card, so I'm not "upgrading.")? Can I buy one without? The S is only $25 on eBay, but that is the "without activation license" version. Will I need that for a '15 with no card?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Volkswa...66S-V3-North-America-Navigation-/293030319642

The Q is $55 +shipping from Germany:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-V...-Karte-Software-Navi-5G0919866-Q/143159251843

I just realized that if it's from Deutschland, it probably won't have North America maps, correct?

Last edited:

TDIintheSkys

TDI
Reply from eBay about 5G0919866S...

This is the message I received re: eBay listing
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Volkswa...66S-V3-North-America-Navigation-/293030319642
$25.49 +$3.75 shipping
New message from: californiacarcompany Top Rated Seller(4,364 Red Star)
Well I haven't really heard of the "Q" card, but I can tell you that I have sold four of these cards and all have worked flawlessly and not returned. So for the price, I would give it a try before having to purchase the much more expensive Q card. However, the Q card may have a newer map than the 2016 version of this S card so if that's what you need...
All that being said, if you receive this card and it doesn't work, just return it for a full refund including shipping. So other than a few minutes of your time, you are out nothing!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Worth a shot if you want 3 year old maps. I use my phone and Google maps/nav and BT to my stereo. I stream music from it as well, that way when the nav prompts come, it lowers the music and gives the nav prompt, and then returns the music back to where it was. Works nice and can incorporate traffic and weather real time. OEM doesn't come close to performing in this manner.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
When I bought my 15 Golf TDI SEL it was also missing the card. A member from another forum pulled his out of a totaled car and was nice enough to send it to me and it worked great. I didn't care if its out of date and I might not even use it but its nice not to see the message anymore.**

TDIintheSkys

TDI
It must remain in the head unit--that's what the error message is all about...

Last edited:

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
When I bought my 2015 GSW new in May of 2017, it had the 5G9919866M maps, which said "NAR 2016/17". When I checked with my dealer 2 months ago in early March, they said that the "Q" version was available, and contained 2018 maps. The "S" version that the OP referred to starts with 5G0, which seems older, not newer. For some strange reason, it does not look like you can just plunk in a new version and have it work. According to the dealer, it must be activated at the dealership. They told me that it's up to an hour shop time, plus the cost of the SD card with the maps. Has anyone been able to buy a new map and just replace the existing?
For the OP, since the "Q" comes with activation, I would think that you shouldn't need the original SD card. I agree with everyone else, the NAV system on the 2015 MIB1 is terrible. My 12 year old Garmin works better.

Last edited:

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
Dealer just gave me two part numbers:
5G9919866Q w/activation license
5G0919866S w/o activation license

The S is only $25 on eBay, but that is the "without activation license" version. Will I need that for a '15 with no card?

The Q is $55 +shipping from Germany:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-V...-Karte-Software-Navi-5G0919866-Q/143159251843

The ebay link for the "Q" version is the Europe version. The "S" Version starts with 5G0, as the dealer quoted you without activation. But I think its older. It states NA V3. My 5G9 "M" version states NA V6.

TDIintheSkys

TDI
Why is it so difficult to get a straight answer from dealer/manufacturer?

The ebay link for the "Q" version is the Europe version. The "S" Version starts with 5G0, as the dealer quoted you without activation. But I think its older. It states NA V3. My 5G9 "M" version states NA V6.
Interesting, so do you think the "M" version with the more updated v6 would work on my 2015 TDI SEL (it appears you may have the same vehicle in Canada, correct?)??

And if it does, is the full item #5G9919866M ?

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
You need to determine which map version you have installed. Regardless of whether any of these are compatible with your car, the only one that will work without going to a dealership (or paying a 3rd party) and activating it is by replacing it with the exact version that was lost.

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
You need to determine which map version you have installed. Regardless of whether any of these are compatible with your car, the only one that will work without going to a dealership (or paying a 3rd party) and activating it is by replacing it with the exact version that was lost.
If I pull the SD card out with the nav data, then go into system settings, the info for navigation database is blank. So if the OP's car came without a nav SD card, I don't think there is a way to determine which map version was installed previously. But it makes sense that this would be the only version that will work without being activated.

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
Interesting, so do you think the "M" version with the more updated v6 would work on my 2015 TDI SEL (it appears you may have the same vehicle in Canada, correct?)??

And if it does, is the full item #5G9919866M ?

Just to clarify: The ebay link posted for the "S" version (part# 5G0919866S) is for North America, but seems old at V3. Perhaps someone that has this part# can confirm the map date. Also, the ebay link for the "Q" version (part# 5G0919866Q) is for Europe.
The part number that your dealer gave you (ie. 5G9919866Q) is probably the most recent version with 2018 maps. I have the 5G9919866M maps which are 2016/17. Both are for North America, and would work on your 2015 TDI SEL, as that's exactly what I have (excpept in Canada it's called a Highline instead of SEL). The other part# that your dealer gave you (5G0919866S) just doesn't seem right. Dealers are almost next to clueless when it comes to anything relating to updating nav maps. But as Bizzle mentioned, if you don't replace with exactly the same as what you had, then you will likely need activation.

Last edited:

417mk7GOLF

TDI
2015 vw golf tdi sel
I just bought a 15 golf sel tdi, my car didn't have a owners manual, extra key and the sd card for the nav, currently wondered if not having the sd card is why my dash compass always says North, did anybody that didn't have an sd card have the same issue? I want to make sure that corrects my compass before trying to locate a sd nav card.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
ETKA shows 5G9919866M as the "SD memory card for navigation system with navigation data and activation document for the navigation function" from Jun '15. Subsequent updates for 5G9919866M follow as -Q, -T, and -AC (current version).

417mk7GOLF

TDI
2015 vw golf tdi sel
ETKA shows 5G9919866M as the "SD memory card for navigation system with navigation data and activation document for the navigation function" from Jun '15. Subsequent updates for 5G9919866M follow as -Q, -T, and -AC (current version).
I assume that's for my car? If so and I find a sd card how does one update it?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I was going to suggest the same. But then thought, "well, that's what *I* would do"....and only a select few are of that (twisted) mindset.

417mk7GOLF

TDI
2015 vw golf tdi sel
Sounds like an excuse to upgrade to an MIB2 unit and utilize CarPlay/Android Auto instead.
I just recently bought this car and I'm new to VW, so what's all involved in the swap? I would love to have Android auto in my car. But atm I just want my compass to do its job.