Fuel additives

Bigboss

TDI
2013 sportswagon
Just wanted to see what people use for fuel additives and what to stay away from! Thanks!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Plenty of posts already here on this subject. Please do a search first before asking a question as most of what you need to know has already been discussed, this subject many, many times already. You don't need to use any additives and they will do mostly nothing for you except empty your wallet and make things stink. Buy fuel from a high volume station and leave it at that.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I will add my 0.02 worth.
As mentioned before there is no need for additives, the refineries add what's necessary.

But having said that, one product used by many here is "PowerService" which boosts cetane levels.
The white bottle is for winter use to prevent the fuel from gelling. Boosts 3 points.
The silver bottle is for summer use or where you do not have freezing temperatures. Boosts 6 points.

But I'll defy anyone to be able to tell the difference in cetane boosts, between none or PS boosts.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not a problem and welcome to tdiclub. There are literally tons of posts here already on almost every additive out there. Should keep you reading for some time. But for the most part they are simply a waste of money. Some use them all the time because they choose to. Most never use them. They probably won't hurt anything but probably won't really help either to any great degree. What is important is to find somewhere that dispenses and turns over their fuel rapidly, and fuel there. In very extreme cold temps an additive may be helpful.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
After their own research some people carry diesel additives on road trips as in 'cheap insurance' dealing with potential unknown fuel stations and situations.

alecw81

TDI
2014 JSW DSG
Devil's Advocate: I use LucasOil Fuel Treatment when I get the oil changed, and between the combination of new oil, rotated tires, and the Lucas, I do notice quite a bump in fuel economy (like 50miles per fill-up) for the first few tanks.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You have documented this? Show me your spread sheet that shows the previous 5 tanks vs the post 5 tanks. Or is this just something you noticed in your head? Oil changes also include other things as well such as fuel filters and air filters and DSG services. Did you skip those? Typical for a car to do somewhat better when serviced. But is it the additive or the service that caused that?

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I would be interested to see power service in TDIs affecting mpgs. I know when I had my cummins it did make a difference. I graphed it on paper at the time and the powerservice paid for itself and then some. Not sure it would make as much difference in an engine with 1/3 of the displacement that sips fuel though.

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
Alec I'm curious with the performance as well. Would appreciate any update

Audibot

TDI
2016 A6 TDI Prestige
I will add my 0.02 worth.
As mentioned before there is no need for additives, the refineries add what's necessary.

But having said that, one product used by many here is "PowerService" which boosts cetane levels.
The white bottle is for winter use to prevent the fuel from gelling. Boosts 3 points.
The silver bottle is for summer use or where you do not have freezing temperatures. Boosts 6 points.

But I'll defy anyone to be able to tell the difference in cetane boosts, between none or PS boosts.

I can vouch for Power Service. Diesel by me is garbage (minimum quality and no one can even tell me what the cetane is). I can tell when I get inferior diesel, since my A6 sounds much more like a diesel and less refined. With Power Service, it has actually quieted up some, though I will say not as much as when I do get some good diesel in. There is also a noticeable response difference as well.

Rodinal220

TDI
2006 NB TDI-PD Dsg,Option #1,Harvest Moon Beige/Cream Leatherette
I use Power Service White and Silver.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I use Power Service White and Silver.
My favorites are Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat and PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) and I use them year round with every tankful. My concerns for using an additive is to increase lubricity and take care of any water I can't avoid getting. Avoiding water is #1 priority, lubricity #2.

I do not use PowerService Diesel Kleen (silver bottle) because it doesn't do anything for water and doesn't have any anti-gel for extreme cold weather in case the fuel isn't winterized. The white bottle stuff is suitable for year round use. I care more about avoiding water than boosting cetane levels.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
hello im new here.

Hello.
and Yes its my 1st ever bought 2012 TDI Diesel ever owned.! So far im verry happy with it infact did the 1st Oil & Filter change on it today
using Castrol Edge Professional Synthetic 5w30 that meets my VW"s TDI 507 spec Oil requirements. also at VW bought the O.E.M Oil filter and some touch
Paint. over all costs i found were very reasonable for example: 5 Liters of Castrol 5w30 Professional Synthetic Oil $ 50.00 (9.99 a Liter)
Oil Filter Element $ 17.40 (partsguy thru in drain bolt washer free) - Touch-up Paint Kit comes with 1 paint pen & Laquer paint pen $22.00
Im glad i purchased these items from my Local VW near me because i found theme to be very reasonable at cost.:)

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Hello.
and Yes its my 1st ever bought 2012 TDI Diesel ever owned.! So far im verry happy with it infact did the 1st Oil & Filter change on it today
using Castrol Edge Professional Synthetic 5w30 that meets my VW"s TDI 507 spec Oil requirements. also at VW bought the O.E.M Oil filter and some touch
Paint. over all costs i found were very reasonable for example: 5 Liters of Castrol 5w30 Professional Synthetic Oil $ 50.00 (9.99 a Liter)
Oil Filter Element $ 17.40 (partsguy thru in drain bolt washer free) - Touch-up Paint Kit comes with 1 paint pen & Laquer paint pen $22.00
Im glad i purchased these items from my Local VW near me because i found theme to be very reasonable at cost.:)

Curious to know which dealer... ?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Funny, I have run Shell diesel for a while. If you use their rewards system you get 5 cents off and all you have to do is put in your phone number.
Gasoline wise I found years ago that shell let to better fuel mileage and will use it so long as it's within 10 cents off the leading competitor.
Only other fuel additive is power service for lubricity.
Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I just want to debunk all this crap about which Diesel is better!

Twice a year I drive through the USA and then into Mexico. I buy my Diesel where ever and whenever I need to fill up.

Once into Mexico since 2002 until 2018 there was absolutely NO choice, one filling station "PEMEX" all over the country. Since 2018 I can now get BP, Mobil and about 4-5 other brands some completely unknown.

Regardless of what I put into the tank it makes absolutely no difference to the performance !!!