What did you pay for your 'fixed' CPO TDi

mad_max_

TDI
Looking for MKVII
First post here.
My local dealers have a lot of 'fixed' CPO TDi inventory these days. But the prices are all over the place. I've even seen some 2015 Golf TDI priced more than a similar GTi. Honestly I don't even know what to offer them. Anyone who made a recent purchase please share your thoughts. TIA!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It matters very little what anyone else has paid in relation to what yours will cost you. The dealer will sell for what they want. It all depends on the dealer, model and condition of the car and demand. If they are moving the cars they will get what they want. If you don't like their price check cars.com and be willing to travel to get what you want. Good luck!

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SE
First post here.
My local dealers have a lot of 'fixed' CPO TDi inventory these days. But the prices are all over the place. I've even seen some 2015 Golf TDI priced more than a similar GTi. Honestly I don't even know what to offer them. Anyone who made a recent purchase please share your thoughts. TIA!

You should have swooped in and purchased one of the "new" 2015 TDI models while you could. Better than a CPO, fresh, and $5K off if you qualified through VW credit.

0% interest for 6 years is a no-brainer.

Fat Rabbit

TDI
Mk7 sportwagen Golf TDI
Just bought a 2016 GSW SEL trim with the 6 speed manual on 14K USD with 50 miles on the odo.

In Mexico BTW...

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
You should have swooped in and purchased one of the "new" 2015 TDI models while you could. Better than a CPO, fresh, and $5K off if you qualified through VW credit.

0% interest for 6 years is a no-brainer.

Wow, great advice. How about, you should have bought 5 of them right before the scandal broke. Then sold them back to VW and then bought one of the new old stock cars and get it for FREE plus cash in your pocket!!!

Yes, I'm bitter that I didn't buy a NOS car okay.

POBOX2897

TDI
2014 JSW 6-speed
Do your research for the local market and decide for yourself.

I shopped for a couple/few months and ended up paying a mostly fair price, but at the higher end of the market. I didn't get beat up too bad. Of course, if you don't go CPO you can save yourself a few thousand dollars.

In NY, I found that low mileage CPO Golf and Sportwagen 2010's are around $10K; add about $1,000/model year up to 2014.

The CPO 2015 S wagons and hatches seem to be around $15k and then the SE's and SEL's are on the market between $16-21k...whatever the market will bear.

I wanted a wagon with factory heated seats and no sunroof, so, I ended up in a 2014 Sportwagen.

Damnut

TDI
03 Jetta TDI
Picked up a 2015 Jetta SEL 6m with 33k miles for $13.8k. Came with the 2 year unlimited mile warranty.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
According to folks I've talked with the auction prices are all over the map. And often what a dealer asks for a car is his cost plus profit. That would mean the asking prices will vary. So will the condition of the cars. I've talked to several buyers who, although not unhappy overall, have had to negotiate with dealers to make sure their cars are in good condition, and found items missing (tool kit, owners manual) after delivery. And some are experiencing issues with cars that sat for a long period, including rust, leaks, and wiring deterioration. Long story short, not all cars are equal. Nor are their prices. And price and condition/value may be unrelated.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I bought a CPO 2015 which was driven by the original owner. It didn't sit long after being sold back to VW then I purchased it from a VW dealer so no issues with it unlike what one might get with a low mile 2015 that literally sat for a couple of years.

When I was looking for a 2015 there was no real correlation between price, mileage and condition although location (read: demand in a particular area) did come into play. I can say the beige metallic colored cars seemed to be a little cheaper than other colors. Look for the best deal on price, mileage, condition and reasonable distance from your home - good luck!

Howard2005

TDI
2005.5 Jetta 256Kmi, 2014 JSW DSG
I found a 2014 Sportwagen in San Diego with 43K miles 6A no sunroof for $11,500. White with tan int.
Indy dealer said he isnt sure of the warranty and that I should call a VW dealer and give them the VIN.

I just cant decide whether to keep driving my 2005.5 Jetta or let it go while is running great. I dont think there is much of a market for a TDI with over 250k miles. Replaced the torque converter about a year ago. Mechanic said the tranny should be rebuilt also as the TC dumps metal. I just had him change the filter and fluid. So far so good.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just so you know, it's doubtful your mechanic replaced the filter in your '05. It requires removing the transmission and splitting the case open. Might be worth doing if he thinks it'll save it from failure.

lessm723

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (sold) 2013 Jetta TDI (sold) 2015 Golf TDI
I just bought a CPO 13 TDI Premium w/o Nav and 63k miles for $9,991. Bought if off the back lot and still getting fixed.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
The VW web site pretty good for locating the CPO cars. It's pretty easy to figure out which dealers are pricing their cars to sell and which ones are trying to hit a home run.

KTriplett

TDI
98' Porcelain Blue Jetta, 15’ TRed Jetta SEL
Skipped the CPO because dealers around me I’ve had terrible experience with. But picked up a 15’ SEL with all the whistles for 14,500 from a small local dealer. Higher end of the spectrum but it was the nicest example I found. With the extended emissions warranty a CPO seems useless.

Last edited:

MrX

TDI
Jetta TDI MK6 6MT
Just picked up a 2014 Jetta TDI for a buddy. $12,500CAD (around $9500USD)

37000km on the clock (around 22000miles)

This forum is awesome, picked up a lot of good info pre-purchase. These cars are smooth as butter to our untrained TDI eyes

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Lower mileage cars and the '14s and newer are disappearing around here. The dealers pushing them seem to be moving them out pretty steadily.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
'12 Jetta Sportwagen DSG (Sunroof and 17" wheel package) - 65k miles - Certified. $9.5k

Car was originally sold and religiously serviced by the dealer I bought from. Full service record history and full service (fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, DSG fluid change, oil change and 4 wheel alignment) for VW certification.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Called back to make an offer on the '12 JSW 6 speed MT and it sold this morning.

Looks like the MTs are disappearing fast.

Howard2005

TDI
I just located a 2014 JSW, White/Cornsilk, DSG, Sunroof, with 52k miles for $10.7
Its CPO but no pictures in the ad yet. Its 45 miles from me but I might jump.

Or this...2011 Grey Sedan base model MT, Plastic wheel covers, cloth seats 37k on the clock for $8500. Indy dealer.

Decisions Decisions!!!

mmollohan

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd, 2014 JSW TDI DSG
Bought a CPO 2014 JSW TDI DSG with 25K on the clock for just under $10K
No sunroof and no nav and new tires.
had to go 850 miles for it.

AGreen

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 speed; 2015 Passat TDI, DSG
We bought our replacement for the 2014 Passat we sold back with 85k miles (all told we got about $29k for a car we paid about $31k new).

We found a 2015 Passat SEL premium with 55K miles and a CPO warranty for $16k out the door. I think the car was $13k or so, plus taxes, fees and transfer of our old plate to the new car. The car was smoked in, so we had it cleaned and it’s getting more tolerable (to me) with time. It’s the wife’s car and she says she can’t smell the smoke. She’s happy, so I’ll chalk this up as a win.

We really liked the 2014 and intended to keep it for a long time. It is a shame the way Dieselgate went down, but that is beyond my control and we responded to the situation given us and came out ahead on this one. In stock form, the 2014 was more powerful when you do max acceleration than the 2015 is in its retuned state. In normal driving it’s indistinguishable.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This is what I don't understand: If you liked your '14 so much why didn't you have it fixed and take the restitution payment? Even if you ended up with a little less cash you'd have a car you seem to prefer and that is a known vehicle.

AGreen

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 speed; 2015 Passat TDI, DSG
Good question. I pondered the keep Vs buyback options quite awhile and ran the numbers. Originally was going to do retune/keep option because - as you say - why not keep a good car that is known. Take the money and the tune and keep driving it. It’s a great option. I’m the end, it was too much money left on the table and it’s just a car. Used car fair market value on our 2014 was probably $13k. They gave us $27.5 buyback + $1k feel good money which we got either way + the Bosch few hundred. We drove the car for 4 years and 85k miles for a few grand. For $16k, we got a car with 30k less miles and a 2 year CPO warranty. Restitution was around $7k. Fuzzy math leads me to think I came out about $9k ahead and a 2 year warranty. That was worth the hassle.

Those are the numbers. Here’s the “irrational” part. Our old car had cornsilk interior - which is a terrible color for showing dirt. The new car is blue with light gray interior. My wife really likes blue cars, so she likes the new one better. It’s her car, I only advise on technical and financial. I offered to get her an A6 TDi, but she likes the Passat. The new one will serve her well. Its not the car I would choose, but then I’m strangely attached to my MK4 Golf TDi and she just doesn’t get that.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Makes sense. And I'm also attached to my MKIV, mine's a Jetta Wagon. Bought new, 385K miles an counting. My leftover '15 bought new in '17 sits in the garage.

Howard2005

TDI
Just purchased a 2014 JSW with DSG no tano Black/Cornsilk 14k miles on the odometer for $13.5K. Drives and feels like brand new.
Ive only burned 10 gallons of gas and doing the math myself I got 36.4 MPG. Not thrilling milage but is way more fun to drive than my '05 that averages 40mpg.

Anyone care to take a guess what I can get for the 05 sedan with 255K on the clock?

William65401

TDI
Jetta Sportwagon
My first TDI

I’ll be picking up a 2012 Sportwagon with 68k on the OD. Fully loaded. $9900. On Tuesday. I do have a question about warranty and whether and extended policy is a good idea. I’m dealing with a non VW dealer.

This my second VW.

Peace