Drivers window switch auto up broken

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
My drivers door window switch for driver window does not auto up anymore. The switch feels different than the other three. I suspect this switch has a mechanical failure within.

The window goes up if I keep my finger on the switch. Auto down still works fine.

Trying to see if anyone has had similar experience.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Have you had the battery disconnected lately? Run the window all the way down and then right back up. That resets the system and should fix it unless you do have a switch problem.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
None yet on a Passat, but I've had several other VW / Audi window switches do that - not just the auto up, could be any of the positions. Usually from rain dripping in plus whatever crud/dust collects in there.

I've been able to fix every one by disassembling and cleaning the little contacts.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Thanks,

the switch feels different, and can hang in the auto up position, and the window doesn't move.

I think the switch broke. they are cheap, I'll buy a replacement and fiddle with the old one.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
slightly off topic, Is there a lubricant for our windows like the sunroof? our rear window no longer goes up on its own, goes up about a inch then right back down- I have to use a suction cup and help it up.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Well,
Driver's door master switch is finally real broken.

The driver window switch is floppy. It still operates the window, but the switch will not return to center position.

Single pull, auto up does not work for any windows.

I have a new master switch ordered and will install this weekend. I'll included a pic of the switch failure if it's visible.

Apparently a partially broken switch can last up to 2.5 years before needing to be replaced.

Zombie thread, i know.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Quick helpful how to video by Hometronics of South Florida:

Helped to locate the release tab for the plastic housing securing the switch assembly into the door armrest.

One note, the switch assembly I bought had chrome switch tips vs. the matte silver for my SE. It's a non issue for me, but it may be something to verify before purchase of replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSux8PGByIU