Circut Problem

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
A few years ago I had an ALH with several DTC's
I do not recall what I did to resolve and repair these issues. I do recall that the repair was related to a single cause.

I'm hoping that someone else had these DTC's and they remember what was done to resolve the problem.
Here is the list of the DTC's:

19561 Valve for intake manifold flap (N239)
16629 Solenoid valve for boost pressure control (N75)
17849 EGR valve (N18)
16600 Commencement of injection valve (N108)

Someone....anyone have any ideas to point me in the right direction ?

TIA....Herm

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Hello "Dawg",
I've pulled the #34 fuse and it checks "OK".
I've also pulled the ECU to clean the connectors / pins and the ECU ground pads.
The DTC's (as listed) are all still active.
Does anyone have any more pointers ?

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
Adding to this saga....
I've removed the battery and cleaned all of the ground points.
Still the fault codes persist...
19561 (N-239)
16629 (N75)
17849 (N18)
16600 ( N108)
Does anyone have any ideas ?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Herm, since I just now got rained-out of my vegetable garden and am sitting here drying off, I'll do a little research for you.

But, considering there are some subtle differences in the various model years that had the ALH engine, give me a clue.

J757 ... Hmmm, surely were not talking Boeing!:D

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
J 757

Herm, since I just now got rained-out of my vegetable garden and am sitting here drying off, I'll do a little research for you.

But, considering there are some subtle differences in the various model years that had the ALH engine, give me a clue.

J757 ... Hmmm, surely were not talking Boeing!:D
Hello Andy,

All that I can add is what I've been gleaning from the Ross Tech site:

16629/P0245/000581 - Solenoid Valve (A) for Boost Pressure Control (N75): Short to Ground
Possible Causes

• Fuse(s) faulty
  • Engine Electronics Power Supply Relay (J757) faulty
  • Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75) faulty
  • Wiring/Connectors from/to Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75) faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Fuse(s)
  • Check Engine Electronics Power Supply Relay (J757)
  • Check Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75)
  • Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
The problem is I can't seem to find the exact location of this little gem.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
ALH engine, 2002 Jetta

Information for a 2002 Jetta:

Leaving Fuse 34, the circuit goes to a splice (factory bonded). It is referenced as Splice 100 which is buried in the wiring harness. There are two circuits leaving Splice 100.

One circuit goes to Splice E29 which provides power to the N18, N75, & N239 Also, the operating power (coil) of the GP relay comes off Splice E29 as well as the MAF.

On the other side of the N18, N75, & N239 (not talking MAF or GP Relay) the circuit leaving them is a direct wire to the ECU plug from each device (no other connector involved). The ECU pins are T121/61, T121/65, & T121/81 respectively.

The other circuit coming off Splice 100 goes to the N108.

After Splice 100, going to N108, in the circuit is a 14-pin Connector. The circuit goes thru 14a/6 then on to the 10-pin connector on the IP (10f/10). Coming back out of the IP, the circuit from the N108 goes thru 10f/9 then directly to the ECU at T121/14.

Hope this helps!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Herm, I use to sleep with the wiring schematics :D for the 2002 Jetta ALH. I've never seen anything referring to a Power Supply labeled J757.

I copied and blew-up to full 8.5" X 11" sheet every wiring schematic for the engine (13 pages) as well as standard equipment (20 pages). Also, I copied all the pages referring to relays, fuses, locations, etc. I've also typed up notes on every connector involving most all the circuits.

I've studied those things to no end. I just don't remember seeing or reading anything about J757.

Did all that to install the engine in my Vanagon!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Without seeing the first post of the link, I don't know what engine is being diagnosed!

But, just a simple Bing search doesn't bring up anything from the ALH era!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, it appears the issue in the referenced Thread was for a 2002 ALH. So, I'm thinking that Power Supply J757 may be generic for the 109 Relay since it provides power to Fuse 34.

Like I said, I've slept with these schematics and do not remember reading, seeing, etc., anything about a Relay J757. I spent over an hour this evening gleaning thru my notebook of schematic copies, no find anything! Each page has the various components listed on the side as well as in the schematic. I could not find a J757 connected to any of the components you listed. Nothing!

Take a look at this Thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=311301

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Herm, go to each of the components and see if they have power going to them. Check that there is power at each leg of the fuse. (I dont care that you looked at it, check for power:) )

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
out-put Test

Herm, go to each of the components and see if they have power going to them. Check that there is power at each leg of the fuse. (I dont care that you looked at it, check for power:) )
Hello Dawg,
I ran an output test (VCDS) and the solenoids are all responding.
So they are in deed getting power.

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
Andy,
Replaced the 109 relay same results (same codes)
The next step is to remove the suspect ECU and swap in my personal ECU which has the immo deleted (both cars are 2002).
With my ECU installed (in the other car) if the DTC's clear the problem is in the car's ECU. If the codes do not clear the problem is harness related.

The saga moves forward.
The good thing is having an ECU with the immo deleted...makes trouble-shooting a little easier.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, one or both of those links I posted mentioned the ECU as a possibility!

I'd unplug and re-plug everything at least one time, including the ECU. You never know, it could be weak connection! Remember the grounding issue I had with the Vanagon..... drove me nuts!

Tmox

TDI
2013 Audi A3, Dodge Cummins 2002
Andy,
Replaced the 109 relay same results (same codes)
The next step is to remove the suspect ECU and swap in my personal ECU which has the immo deleted (both cars are 2002).
With my ECU installed (in the other car) if the DTC's clear the problem is in the car's ECU. If the codes do not clear the problem is harness related.

The saga moves forward.
The good thing is having an ECU with the immo deleted...makes trouble-shooting a little easier.
Inquiring minds with the same problem are curious what you found?

dlu

TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '05 Jetta Wagon
Inquiring minds with the same problem are curious what you found?
More than one... Did either of you ever sort this out?

I'm fighting the same problem and the common thread appears to be J317 (the ECM Power Supply Relay marked 109 above the driver's feet) and the associated wiring on the positive side of N18, N239, N108, and N75. When I get the codes I almost always get them all at once (where at once means with just enough time to stop the car and read the codes after the CEL comes on.

I've been chasing this for about two years and finally bit the bullet and replaced the ECM. That seems to have done away with a spurious coolant glow plug related code (on an automatic), but these codes still remain. Tried checking J317, it seems good, wondering if something could be causing it to drop out occasionally. We've had water leaks from the front left sunroof drains, but there doesn't appear to be significant signs of water around the relay panel.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Bringing this thread back from the dead... I would think that (N75): Short to Ground involves a wiring fault... I just disconnected the N75 (after swapping in another unit) and still get the "short to ground" error - even with the connector disconnected... so... is there a "popular" place for this wire to develop a short, or do people think that it's likely an ECU problem? (Car has 957,112 km on it...)

Y.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I've wondered if the message open or short to ground was generic to indicate no power.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did measure some voltage (11.8) at the N75 connector... the error code now reads "intermittent"... turbo still misbehaves...

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did measure some voltage (11.8) at the N75 connector... the error code now reads "intermittent"... turbo still misbehaves...
This is an old thread.
Might be a good time to start a new one with all the details.
Year of the car, codes, miles, things you have done & such.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I always thought it better to continue existent threads rather than raise the noise level by starting duplicate ones... 2003 Jetta Wagon... over 595,000 miles... Same error... just wondering if there's a common cause that's surfaced over the years... I'm not planning to replace the ECU if that's what people have determined to be the problem... as I mentioned, replacing the N75 (or leaving the connector off altogether) still gives the "short to ground" error message... right now (I don't have the car available) there's no boost whatsoever... running the output test has no effect... when I get the car back, I'll test the vacuum system, but... this error message sounds electric in nature...

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You have 11.8V on one pin, did you happen to measure the voltage on the other?
One side should be pulsed by the ECU.
Yellow/black wire should have battery voltage.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks... I checked between the 2 wires... (since there are only 2 wires going to the N75, I thought the voltage is only "active" there... I don't have a scope to see if the 2nd wire is being pulsed to ground...) I should have access to the car tomorrow... perhaps I should at least follow the wires back to the ECU and wiggle the connectors...

Y.

Last edited:

realslimshaver

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta gls tdi
any ideas on solutions here?
is this a broken wire at the factory splice?
can anyone tell me where splice e29 is located physically in the car?

2002 jetta having the same codes as mentioned here
17849 - EGR Valve (N18)
P1441 - 35-10 - Open Circuit or Short to Ground - Intermittent
16629 - Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75)
P0245 - 35-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
16600 - Commencement of Injection Valve (N108)
P0216 - 35-10 - Circuit Malfunction - Intermittent
17946 - Fuel Shutoff Solenoid (N109)
P1538 - 35-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
19561 - Valve for Intake Manifold Flap (N239)
P3105 - 35-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent

car is undrivable with n75 pluged in. with unplugged i can still do 100kph(limp mode). plugged in i can barly do 30kph. n75 ohms is within the spec of the bently so im thinking of starting with my ecu gronuds but as indicated that might not be the issiue. my glow plugs are working fine, and my fuse 34 has full voltage with the key on 12.6 non running key on /14.2volts running

same codes are present with or without n75 plugged in. its like i have lost half the engine sensors and there on that line so im hoping for wire brake

Last edited:

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
When I had the exact same error codes (and I mean exact) and my '02 Golf was basically undriveable, an ECU swap was the fix. I found this thread and it led me to the conclusion that a swap was the key. Luckily, I already had one on hand that was properly aligned, so troubleshooting was quick. Can ran fine after that and I had my tune moved onto that ECU. Never saw the issue again.

realslimshaver

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta gls tdi
When I had the exact same error codes (and I mean exact) and my '02 Golf was basically undriveable, an ECU swap was the fix. I found this thread and it led me to the conclusion that a swap was the key. Luckily, I already had one on hand that was properly aligned, so troubleshooting was quick. Can ran fine after that and I had my tune moved onto that ECU. Never saw the issue again.
yes thats what i think im leaning towards if grounds dont solve it(just had to buy a windshiled wiper removal tool will find out soon). as an electronics guy it sounds like perhaps a powersupply internal to the ECU has possibility kicked the bucket and cant supply enough power with all the coils plugged in.