Who else is having AdBlue issues?

aullein

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6Speed Manual
Part number for the AdBlue tank repair kit is 561-198-970-A.
Can anyone confirm that the suffix with the "A" is a revised part?? I only knew it to be 561198970.

terryf

TDI
Passat 2012
Nox Sensor normal wear and tear - VW Canada

Revised part number for the sensor is 03L 907 807 AD.
I had similar issues with the NOx sensor and the AdBlue tank troubles. Had to replace the sensor as well as the AdBlue tank heater. Parts are available at vwpartsnation and cost $330 for the NOx sensor and $430 for the AdBlue tank heater (US dollars). Each part costs over $1,000 from the Dealers so do you research and buy elsewhere instead of getting robbed.
Part number for the AdBlue tank repair kit is 561-198-970-A.
The NOx sensor replacement is quite simple, just requires you to lift the car a little with a jack, remove a plastic shield under the body of the car, and locate the NOx sensor after a flap valve in the exhaust somewhere mid car. The tools you'll need are a 10mm socket and I think a 7/8" wrench (if I recall correctly).
The AdBlue tank replacement is a little more involved but with a little time can be done. I think there's a write up somewhere here. If not, let me know, I took some pictures and could try to put something together in between fixing this beast.
Stephane
It's absolutely amazing how after more than 1 week of waiting for VW Customer service to respond, they call me to say I am SOL and that the part is considered normal "wear and tear". Anyone else have a normal wear and tear $1000 Electronic sensor go bad after 3 years? Why is this part $350 in the USA and $1000 in Canada? Last time I checked, the exchange rate was not that bad :(

The other thing that bugs me is the logic of not allowing you to start your car, even though the adblue is full, you are not polluting, but your sensor is falsely reporting the adblue is empty. Imagine being on a long trip and having to tow your car to a dealer because your Nox sensor went nuts.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Mine failed before 3 years and yes I do think it's crazy but it's not $350. List price is $625 and if you want to wait 6-8 weeks you can get it for $450 online (more if one dealer has one local). Mine cost $580... It failed at around 80k miles but my geico mechanical breakdown coverage took care of
everything but the $250 deductible. At $7 a month it's already paid for itself... If my math is right at list the heater repair kit should be around $812 CAD at list price($625USD). Any more the dealer is gouging.

Last edited:

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
It isn't always the dealer who is gouging, more often it is the manufacturer. Try pricing a new car in Canada vs the US, sometimes $10,000 more here, even before our dollar went down.

Don

stephane

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
It's absolutely amazing how after more than 1 week of waiting for VW Customer service to respond, they call me to say I am SOL and that the part is considered normal "wear and tear". Anyone else have a normal wear and tear $1000 Electronic sensor go bad after 3 years? Why is this part $350 in the USA and $1000 in Canada? Last time I checked, the exchange rate was not that bad :(
The other thing that bugs me is the logic of not allowing you to start your car, even though the adblue is full, you are not polluting, but your sensor is falsely reporting the adblue is empty. Imagine being on a long trip and having to tow your car to a dealer because your Nox sensor went nuts.
Completely agree! The gooberment is holding us hostage for something VW clearly hasn't figured out and is using customers as guineapigs. The AdBlue shutdown is required by law, it has nothing to do with the car still running. The amount of pollution created by bad electronic components/sensors/diesel particulate filters pretty much nullify's the emission reduction achieved by the new diesel emission's systems.

The part I got was from VWpartsnation.com, an online supplier, not a dealer. I avoid dealer's like the plague unless its warranty work...and even then, sometimes I avoid them. Have not been to any that don't charge exhorbitant rates for parts. The part I received from VWpartsnation.com is VW stamped, i.e. from the manufacturer. So if an online supplier can sell the part at nearly half the price of what the dealers charge and still make a profit, someone is pulling the wool over our eyes.

Incidentally, the NOx sensor is manufactured by NGK Insulators Ltd

http://www.ngk.co.jp/english/products/ceramic/automotive/nox.html

I'd be curious to know what it costs for 1000 of these parts.

Incidentally, my parts purchased online with standard shipping took 11 days for the NOx sensor and 12 days for the AdBlue heater kit. Quite less than the 6-8 weeks Softrockrenegade was leading to. I also live in the Yukon, in a pretty remote part of Canada. So shipping would probably be quicker in larger city centers.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Stephane, I'm only quoting the 6-8 weeks based on what my mechanic, several dealerships and several online vw parts suppliers said a couple weeks ago. We found one locally sourced and it cost a bit more from a dealer that had one in stock. It is possible the manufacture of the part released a bunch but they probably just had one in stock for you to get it soo quick. The part was listed on limited release and 6-8 weeks was the deal. At the time there were only 3 in New Jersey and I grabbed one that was up by where I work and brought it to my guy. Issue fixed with updated part below my warranty deductible so happy guy here. Hopefully the new part lasts and is plentiful. I do expect a extended warranty in the future at which I will be refunded the full repair cost.

Last edited:

boomer1

TDI
2013 TDI Passat
Before we bash dealers too much, let's consider their overhead. First, unlike an online parts dealer, they are required to own and have available a full set of tools for ALL the makes and models of cars they service. This can run well into the many hundreds of thousands of dollars. Secondly, everytime the state or federal government introduces new legislation, the dealer is required to buy equipment to ensure that they can have their vehicles meet these regs when customers bring them in. A good case in point is here in PA where expensive computers are required to send emissions data along with the VIN number to the state capitol everytime the vehicle undergoes an annual inspection.

And then there is the heated/air conditioned waiting room, property taxes on the building and parking lot (probably a much larger area than an on-line retailer) plus all the support folks that have to be paid. And a good dealer will send the mechanics off to school,with some regularity for training on new technology and equipment. Oh, and let us not forget equipment that is required to comply with OSHA regulations, like all new lifts that don't put the hydraulic cylinders underground.

So dealers, while there may be some lemons, don't have the easiest financial road to hoe. If you don't like supporting this, then go to an indy or do it yourself. But until you have been in business or worked for a good sized business, don't forget that a dealership is indeed a business...and it is there to make a profit (as are all businesses) in spite of all the expenses.

stephane

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Before we bash dealers too much, let's consider their overhead. First, unlike an online parts dealer, they are required to own and have available a full set of tools for ALL the makes and models of cars they service. This can run well into the many hundreds of thousands of dollars. Secondly, everytime the state or federal government introduces new legislation, the dealer is required to buy equipment to ensure that they can have their vehicles meet these regs when customers bring them in. A good case in point is here in PA where expensive computers are required to send emissions data along with the VIN number to the state capitol everytime the vehicle undergoes an annual inspection.

And then there is the heated/air conditioned waiting room, property taxes on the building and parking lot (probably a much larger area than an on-line retailer) plus all the support folks that have to be paid. And a good dealer will send the mechanics off to school,with some regularity for training on new technology and equipment. Oh, and let us not forget equipment that is required to comply with OSHA regulations, like all new lifts that don't put the hydraulic cylinders underground.

So dealers, while there may be some lemons, don't have the easiest financial road to hoe. If you don't like supporting this, then go to an indy or do it yourself. But until you have been in business or worked for a good sized business, don't forget that a dealership is indeed a business...and it is there to make a profit (as are all businesses) in spite of all the expenses.
While dealers do have to make money, when someone can get a manufacturers part at nearly half the cost or sometimes more, something is broken with their business model. Not saying they are bad. They're just not getting my business when it comes to parts. Especially when the difference in price is over a few hundred dollars and sometimes a lot more. Perhaps its time to rethink the way parts are inventoried at dealerships. I don't have the answer. But my suggestion is if its not warrantied, do the work yourself or find an reputable indy shop.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
VW owners aren't alone..have a friend with a 2016 Ram with Cummings diesel. Got a code R208C Reductant Pump Control Circuit Low ! Dodge has the pumps on National Back Order.....

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
VW owners aren't alone..have a friend with a 2016 Ram with Cummings diesel. Got a code R208C Reductant Pump Control Circuit Low ! Dodge has the pumps on National Back Order.....

VW has never been alone with this problem or with dpfs toasting turbos. Cant even buy a John Deere without a warning about def tanks freezing these days.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
NO!
"Gazzers" are ok but it's only a "teething" issue on the urine bottle injection system to the CAT thingy...
If this is not resolved soon, then someone will redesign another manner of lowering % of pollution gasses AND make it stick !
(still I don't buy Chinese made tires, got to give them lots of maturing time...), I'd rather deal with the DEF troubles, at least this item does NOT blow up and kill any of us.

Lee-N3LPJ

TDI
2012 Passat
My 2012 Passat has been fine until tonight. The adblue light came on all of a sudden saying I had 600 miles. I pulled over and put 2 and a half gallons in. The light stayed on. When I got home and restarted it , it now says I have 500 miles. I put the reader on it and there are no codes. The car has 156,000 miles on it and the only thing that has gone wrong is the turbo which they fixed. I do try to fill it up before the warning comes on. I usually put 2 1/2 gals in at a time. I drive 220 miles a day at least.
Lee

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My 2012 Passat has been fine until tonight. The adblue light came on all of a sudden saying I had 600 miles. I pulled over and put 2 and a half gallons in. The light stayed on. When I got home and restarted it , it now says I have 500 miles. I put the reader on it and there are no codes. The car has 156,000 miles on it and the only thing that has gone wrong is the turbo which they fixed. I do try to fill it up before the warning comes on. I usually put 2 1/2 gals in at a time. I drive 220 miles a day at least.
Lee
Maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but is it possible that you have a leak in the system ?
I've only had my car for about 3 weeks but have found out that before I got my car it had a leak in the DEF system repaired.

BTW: Is there any way of telling the amount of DEF in the tank ?

jayski

TDI
NMS Passat
2015 Passat TDI Highline 86k - P20E8 error

So I am getting the AdBlue doomsday countdown. It started around 1000km however after driving it, I'm down to 60km. Yes sixty km. The first dealership I took it to (250km from home) identified the error and thought they had identified a crack in a hose/tube somewhere in the line. Turns out the issue was not with that part, as by the time I returned home and took it to my nearest VW dealer, they found it was another line that had a crack and the replacement part had to be ordered from Europe? It was noted it is under warranty.

The CEL throws a P20E8 error which is - Reductant pressure too low.
I've reset this and the countdown continued lol.
At any rate, the car is sitting now for 4 straight days and will go in Thursday.
I even had a friend with a Ross-Tech VAGCOM try to reset the SCR level and SCR lock this morning to no avail.

My question is this, does ANYONE know of a way to reset or program this counter back to 1500km or whatever the limit is? Either with a VAGCOM or even at the Dealership?
I'm worried if they don't resolve the issue in a couple days, it will be frustrating at a minimum for me to deal with this car sitting even longer.
My final option may be a Malone tune to tune this POS AdBlue system out of the car completely. After that I see there are kits to totally delete it and that's fine by me as my area doesn't have emissions testing anyways.

Yes... I recycle my paper and compost my food scraps, this issue isn't harming the environment as it's still sipping AdBlue yet is preventing me from driving it.
Thanks for any suggestions/background you may have.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
OK, we took it in a month ago to get reprogrammed after receiving the count down on the mileage. We had taken the car on a 200 mile trip and was alerted to the issue going up, so we said we would not turn the car off at our destination, driving all the way back home 200 miles with less than 150 miles remaining. The long idle period at our destination seems to have reset the clock and it did not reach zero after 400 miles of driving. We took it to the dealer and got the reprogram and all was good.

A month later (April) we got the message again and returned it to the dealer. This time they bought us a new NOx Catalyst (Part No 561-254-400-A) and a new NOx Sensor (part no 03L-907-807-AF) all installed under warranty (2012 Passat with 96K miles). Once again the dealer tried to push Filter Changes and such upon us. These are all on regular intervals and within service life, so I declined.

Who else has had the Catalyst changed?