ALH Jeep XJ Swap

xjjeeper

TDI
99.5 golf, soon to be Tdi Xj
Been picking away at finishing up the charge air piping and airbox mounting. The big Donaldson air filter assembly fits well! Just power steering hoses, fill with coolant, bleed brakes, exhaust then it's driving!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf Sportwagen, BHW Jeep XJ
What did you use for your lower radiator hose?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

xjjeeper

TDI
What did you use for your lower radiator hose?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
A napa 8698 hose. With about 6" cut off the smaller diameter end. Im not happy with how it fits though. Its being forced a bit in a way it doesnt really want to go. I may end up just doing silicone and aluminum tube

xjjeeper

TDI
Well.. update time! its basically finished and been on a couple trips around the block! Dang its fast! still needs a tune tweak and timing and iq adjusted. Exhaust is finished with a 304 ss downpipe that a welder buddy tigged together for me and an MBRP catback for the xj. Sounds pretty good!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Looking good

xjjeeper

TDI
Its been insured for 2 days now! Its pretty quick! I will be taking it to Malone for them to tweak the tune for some smoke control (its pretty bad). Other than that it's great so far!
A colt stage 2 cam will most likely be in my future to bring down the egts a bit. I can get past 1200f really easy on the highway.

xjjeeper

TDI
Went to Malone tuning the other night for some tune tweaks! Great crew! I think the xj is officially finished now[emoji14]

smokesletsgo

TDI
Alh
Fellow BC resident here hailing from Pemberton. How has your swap been? I'm in the process of pulling my 02 alh to go into my 95 xj. I'm wanting to keep the aw4 and found some write ups with some success so I will try that before I seek out an ax15 to swap in. What did you do for motor mounts? Did you use the stock one up front and build a support for it? Did you make new ones for each wheel well?

Thanks

TDICherokee

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI + 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Fellow BC resident here hailing from Pemberton. How has your swap been? I'm in the process of pulling my 02 alh to go into my 95 xj. I'm wanting to keep the aw4 and found some write ups with some success so I will try that before I seek out an ax15 to swap in. What did you do for motor mounts? Did you use the stock one up front and build a support for it? Did you make new ones for each wheel well?

Thanks
TD conversions Sells XJ specific mount kits, might be cheaper than Fabbing your own. I’m also doing an ALH with the Auto trans

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Innerestin'! Here's my conundrum, I've got a Liberty "05 CRD. Already got the turbo diesel, what I want
to do is get rid of the dang auto tranny and install a manual transmission.
Hints? Tips? Thoughts?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Innerestin'! Here's my conundrum, I've got a Liberty "05 CRD. Already got the turbo diesel, what I want
to do is get rid of the dang auto tranny and install a manual transmission.
Hints? Tips? Thoughts?
Pretty sure it's a standard dodge V8 bell. This makes the ax-15 and nv3550 an easy cheap swap other than sourcing the crd flywheel. Those are 5 speeds. I don't know crap about jeep 6 speeds.

If you're lucky jeep matched the 2.8 to manuals here and you can find a new or even scrap yard flywheel. If not you're in the same boat I am with the VM 4.2 I have in my boat (no pun intended) and everything other than filters and glow plugs has to ship from Europe where VM is more readily available.

Not sure on what clutch set up you're going to need. Hopefully someone has done it before and you can find documentation on a forum.

Last edited:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Pretty sure it's a standard dodge V8 bell. This makes the ax-15 and nv3550 an easy cheap swap other than sourcing the crd flywheel. Those are 5 speeds. I don't know crap about jeep 6 speeds.

If you're lucky jeep matched the 2.8 to manuals here and you can find a new or even scrap yard flywheel. If not you're in the same boat I am with the VM 4.2 I have in my boat (no pun intended) and everything other than filters and glow plugs has to ship from Europe where VM is more readily available.

Not sure on what clutch set up you're going to need. Hopefully someone has done it before and you can find documentation on a forum.
Are we sure the gear ratios on the AX15/NV3550 would be appropriate for the diesel? Not sure how the powerband/rpm range of the 4.0L compares to the 2.8, but it may be "close enough for government work".

I'm pretty sure a guy I know through work (in a field office in Colorado Springs) has/had a 5-spd diesel KJ, so fairly sure they offered manuals here, in which case I'd just go with the stock clutch parts.

If you do get a factory manual trans, make double-sure to get the transfer case and both driveshafts from the donor too - there's a small chance the input shaft spline count on the t-case could be different between manual and auto, and very likely the transmission itself is a different length (this is a known thing in the older XJ line, where swapping the AW-4 automatic for either the AX15 or the NV3550 shifted the position of the t-case slightly due to overall driveline length, requiring the manual donor's driveshafts.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Are we sure the gear ratios on the AX15/NV3550 would be appropriate for the diesel? Not sure how the powerband/rpm range of the 4.0L compares to the 2.8, but it may be "close enough for government work".

I'm pretty sure a guy I know through work (in a field office in Colorado Springs) has/had a 5-spd diesel KJ, so fairly sure they offered manuals here, in which case I'd just go with the stock clutch parts.

If you do get a factory manual trans, make double-sure to get the transfer case and both driveshafts from the donor too - there's a small chance the input shaft spline count on the t-case could be different between manual and auto, and very likely the transmission itself is a different length (this is a known thing in the older XJ line, where swapping the AW-4 automatic for either the AX15 or the NV3550 shifted the position of the t-case slightly due to overall driveline length, requiring the manual donor's driveshafts.
I'm not familiar with the 2.8 but after daily driving an r150 (same internal trans as an ax-15 minus 5th an iirc 2nd gear) is perfect for the TDI torque range so long as you choose the right gear ratio and tire size. More gears are always better, I'd love my 75 mph rpms to be @2500 rather than 3000 but with the r150 in the 4runner wouldn't be fun in city traffic. I went from 4.10 to 4.3 gears and it was a day and night difference, much happier on the daily commute at the expense of a few highway rpms.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I’m planning 4.88 gears to go in my Cherokee if I was going manual it would be 4.56 for sure keep rpm’s happy on the highway.
Grimjeeper.com/gears has a great catalog of pre inserted transmission and transfer case ratios you can choose from. Even let's you select tire size and axle ratios to see what speed/rpm/crawl ratios you have for each gear.

TDICherokee

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI + 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Grimjeeper.com/gears has a great catalog of pre inserted transmission and transfer case ratios you can choose from. Even let's you select tire size and axle ratios to see what speed/rpm/crawl ratios you have for each gear.
Yep that’s what I used to determine my options! I’ve been in the 4 wheeling scene a long time, but VW diesel swaps are new to me!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Good info on the ratios, PickleRick. I suspected the 4.0 and the TDI would be close enough for the swap to work, appreciate the confirmation.

As to the axles, the KJ would have the Chrysler 8.25 rear like my XJ has, and the ratios I'm aware of available are 3.07, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, and 4.56. Don't know off-hand whether 4.88 is offered or not, but accounting for tire size is important.

Also, if you regear, you'll need to recalibrate the speedometer, which should be done the same way I would - swapping the gear that drives the speed sensor on the transfer case rear output. Just have to find an appropriate chart to see what tooth count you need for the gears/tire size you end up with, here's one example: https://www.quadratec.com/c/reference/jeep-speedometer-gear-tooth-chart