Alternator on fire?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Yup, that is what happened. The charging light came on and I pulled over as quickly as I could and there was smoke billowing out from under the hood.
I am glad I had a bottle of water to douse the flames inside the alternator. The wires are all good, but it did scare the crap out of me; I am glad I had a bottle of water handy, or that fire could have killed the car.
The alternator was the original one too. :)

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Same thing happened on my samurai last week, sheesh good going bosch. And yes I might have a vw bosch on my samurai :)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
top kek

best to rebuild with the OEM parts. If i was you, i would junkyard a used one and rebuild it vs your charcoal one.

i always keep one of them small fire extinguishers velcroed right to the floor infront of the passengers seat.
already in the last 10 years i have saved 1 car from going up in flames (guy onthe side of the highway was on fire due to no fuse on a POS walmart 500watt amp on a 1,000 watt sub and the other one was at autocross when a fuel line broke on a subi.

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
Same thing happened to me a couple years ago leaving work. Pulled out from a gas station near work and all the gauges were going crazy. Pulled over and the alternator was putting out 18 volts. Unplugged the wires from it and checked it again and it "seemed" "fixed" (or at least not over-volting) in that the battery voltage was only 12.5 when running. Decided to limp it home on side roads paying close attention to volts on a OBD app. Made it 30 km home, pulled in. Popped the hood to do more diagnosis and the alternator burst into flames before my eyes. I did the same thing as the OP, grabbed the closest available thing which was a water bottle and doused the flames. Being that the alternator is under the fuel lines I am glad it didn't happen when driving.