Clutch pedal switch open or closed?

vjt123

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GL
I bought a new clutch pedal switch, the one to send current through the starting interlock relay coil, which closes the switch to the starter solenoid, which triggers the starter motor.

I took it apart and noticed the little plastic threads inside were mushed, so I bought a new one.

This one from Rockauto looks slightly different, but fits the connector (doesn't fit the connector to the other clutch pedal switch).

This new switch closes when the button is pushed, and that is when the clutch pedal is not engaged. The old switch, according to the diagram, should be open when the button is pushed and closes when the button is released when the clutch pedal is pushed in.

Maybe I installed the switch on the pedal incorrectly?

So I believe Rockauto sold me a switch that works opposite of how it should! Anyone had this experience, or is my understanding wrong?

I can't check how the old switch works because I cant get it back together, but Im pretty sure that is how it should work.

Last edited:

vjt123

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GL
Well, I found that I was confused about which switch is which. But some parts vendor websites call both switches both names, so that didn't help.

FYI, the top switch is the one that triggers the starting interlock relay (switching current to starter solenoid switch) and the bottom one is the cruise control circuit switch.

I had those switches switched in my head :p.

Last edited: