Planning stage MKIV .:R32 swap. Advice needed

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
In the initial planning stages for doing a TDI swap into my R. A trusted guru will be doing the work, I will leave him anonymous unless he decides to chime in.

The car currently has an HPA FT450 turbo setup, pushing about 320 AWTQ and 370 awhp. It also has water / meth, boost controllers, and more gauges than I can possibly read. All the gasser stuff will need to be sold to partially fund the swap.

The good news is that the drivetrain is nicely set up for this. It has diesel gears already, peloquins front and rear, competition haldex controller, big brakes, kw v3 suspension and way too much more to list.

I am trying to decide which engine to run. Originally I looked into a BKD, but it was too much $ for my budget and had an "A" head so I am rethinking.

Current idea is a PD like this:

- BHW or bored out BEW block.
- BHW pistons, crank
- 8v head with port work. Bigger valves? Cam? Upgraded springs?
- rosten rods
- RyanP GTB2260VK kit
- RyanP manifolds, downpipes, and S3 inter cooler
- BHW ecu with tuning

Any thoughts on this? Should I consider CR?

Thanks in advance!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
You will need some 4cyl trans parts to make that work.

I sent you a PM regarding a motor :)

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Jon. I'll respond pm. I believe for the trans all I need is a bellhousing from a TT, right?

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
You and Foukhest are my inspiration on this. Wish I could redo that sweet Multifunction display that you have in yours. Your gauges are awesome too!

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
You and Foukhest are my inspiration on this. Wish I could redo that sweet Multifunction display that you have in yours. Your gauges are awesome too!
Well thanks! You could do the display w/navi, but it is really more trouble than it is worth. The only reason that I installed it was because I had the parts remaining from my wagon. A smart phone does a better job overall!

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking more and more like a PD150 will be the starting point...

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
Should I ask the mods to move this to the conversion thread?

I'm now debating transmission options, and I realize that may not be popular here.

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
Anybody used Mahle pistons in an ARL block? Jon, any knowledge?

Lurchalicious

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
I wish you luck, personally I'd keep the R with the HPA setup as a go-kart and get a TDI to put around for mileage.

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
I am aware my choice of swap is not popular with many. Even fewer on the Vortex think so. However, I don't like FWD only. I'm not quite old enough for an E350, though that was a close option. :) So, since it is my car, I'm pulling out all the high HP, HPA gear and selling it along with the trans, etc.

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like the engine will be a construction of: PD150 long block with Rosten rods, Mahle pistons, Colt cam and ported head. BEW injectors with big nozzles. RyanP GBT2260VK kit, S3 IC.