Don’t mess with your emissions

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
... or any worse then NASCAR (or similar) races would be for the environment?
I can address this specific issue because my own hobby involves motorcycle roadracing.

At a local (smalltime / hobby) level where I am ...

On a typical weekend my race bike will use about 12 - 16 litres of petrol over the course of two practice sessions on Saturday, two qualifying sessions on Saturday, two more practice sessions on Sunday, and two finals on Sunday.

Driving the bike-hauler / camper van the 450 km to the track and back ... uses about 50 litres of petrol, and that's for a reasonably economical van, not a motorhome!

And that's not counting getting officials, spectators, crew, etc to and from, who are all coming from all over the place.

I'd happily use an electric van to transport my petrol powered race bike to and from the track if I could ... it would cut my usage by 75% just for that trip.

At a professional level ... having 200+ horsepower bikes instead of 40-something uses more. A World Superbike or MotoGP bike will use about 20 litres of fuel during a final race. Add practice sessions and qualifying, it's probably using 60 litres for the weekend. The whole grid (about 20 bikes), 1200 litres. That's Superbike - then there's the support classes - As much again or maybe a little more.

And then it all gets loaded into transport trucks to go to the next event ... or packaged up and shipped across the world. Dwarfs the amount the bikes use.

And then 50,000 - 100,000 spectators go to and from the track, and that dwarfs ALL of what the teams use!

And for each of those spectators ... the amount they use on a daily basis doing mundane chores, like commuting to work, or heating their house, dwarfs all of that!

If we address all the mundane stuff like heating houses and commuting to work and getting groceries, the amount used in motorsports is microscopic.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I can address this specific issue because my own hobby involves motorcycle roadracing.

At a local (smalltime / hobby) level where I am ...

On a typical weekend my race bike will use about 12 - 16 litres of petrol over the course of two practice sessions on Saturday, two qualifying sessions on Saturday, two more practice sessions on Sunday, and two finals on Sunday.

Driving the bike-hauler / camper van the 450 km to the track and back ... uses about 50 litres of petrol, and that's for a reasonably economical van, not a motorhome!

And that's not counting getting officials, spectators, crew, etc to and from, who are all coming from all over the place.

I'd happily use an electric van to transport my petrol powered race bike to and from the track if I could ... it would cut my usage by 75% just for that trip.

At a professional level ... having 200+ horsepower bikes instead of 40-something uses more. A World Superbike or MotoGP bike will use about 20 litres of fuel during a final race. Add practice sessions and qualifying, it's probably using 60 litres for the weekend. The whole grid (about 20 bikes), 1200 litres. That's Superbike - then there's the support classes - As much again or maybe a little more.

And then it all gets loaded into transport trucks to go to the next event ... or packaged up and shipped across the world. Dwarfs the amount the bikes use.

And then 50,000 - 100,000 spectators go to and from the track, and that dwarfs ALL of what the teams use!

And for each of those spectators ... the amount they use on a daily basis doing mundane chores, like commuting to work, or heating their house, dwarfs all of that!

If we address all the mundane stuff like heating houses and commuting to work and getting groceries, the amount used in motorsports is microscopic.
Ok, im not against racing by any means. I just didn't completely understand why go directly after diesels. I still don't believe in EV as theres a lot of issues there to say that their better then a petrol vehicle. And while in the citys EV may be great for many reasons where i live they just don't cut it. Electric truck or car for that matter.

Someday EV may be the way to go but it's just not there yet. To many resources being used to say its way better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
It will all go underground. Instead of tuners and finished parts, there will be kits of unfinished parts, and instead of tuners pushing buttons, instructions on what buttons to push for the desired tune. Ultimately it will be up to the vehicle owner and how much time and exposure they are willing to invest. I know people now that install cats every two years, run the car through inspection, and then remove them. Not advocating that, but it's a reality. Hell I know a street racer that swaps an street legal engine in every two years for inspection.....

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Tuning is pretty specialized and the equipment to do it is pretty expensive. Most people won't be willing to do this on their own, just like most won't rent the expensive (deposit) to do the dsg on their own and that comes with tuning already done. The possibility of making an error and ruining your ecu will cause most to pass on this method.

Kits for hardware you may be correct. But there are also a lot of people who won't do their own work much less manufacturing. Because of these two things it will become even more of a niche business than it already is. Which will make the government happy. It may even cause more problems for those importing to the US as they may crack down on things like this coming into the country. At some point it may become an unsustainable business.

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Tuning is pretty specialized and the equipment to do it is pretty expensive. Most people won't be willing to do this on their own, just like most won't rent the expensive (deposit) to do the dsg on their own and that comes with tuning already done. The possibility of making an error and ruining your ecu will cause most to pass on this method.

Kits for hardware you may be correct. But there are also a lot of people who won't do their own work much less manufacturing. Because of these two things it will become even more of a niche business than it already is. Which will make the government happy. It may even cause more problems for those importing to the US as they may crack down on things like this coming into the country. At some point it may become an unsustainable business.
There's a couple guys here, locally, doing tuning work, word of mouth for cash. Mainly truck deletes. Dude just turned off a ghost EVAP code in my buddies GM, that was keeping it from a sticker. That ain't legal. Much like when you want other items you are not supposed to have, a market springs up to supply it. This ain't the only hobby that's gone to ground...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
True, but you can't argue it doesn't severely limit the market. Which helps the governments plans to stop this. Limiting it to a small number rather than widespread use is a win to them. The more widespread and known these type of people become the more they end up on the radar to get swatted down. If there is a demand supply will follow. Just like drugs and alcohol.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Yep. LBZ's have gone thru the roof.
New truck prices are insane. My customer has ordered a 2021 Dmax dually, full load, close to 100K plus tax. That is f*Cking insane, for a truck. I don't get it. :confused:
I bought an 02 Dmax, 2500HD, I am into it for 10K, I've had it for 3 years, has 400K and it tows my toy hauler around Vancouver and surrounding area's and to Oregon once a year.
Trucks are the new status symbol luxury vehicle. They don't really truck much. All show, no work.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Big ol' grocery getters and child haulers.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Trucks are the new status symbol luxury vehicle. They don't really truck much. All show, no work.
Probably 50 percent of the vehicles on the road here in Texas are trucks. They are nice inside and great ride with tons of power stock. I'm not about spending 75 grand for one. My 07 diesel pulls a trailer daily and boat on weekends. It's just a way of life in some parts of the country. Down here they get used during deer season alot but off season they are commuter vehicles too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk