TDI AHU to 93 Eurovan

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI, 1993 Eurovan Weekender TDI(AHU) converted 2/2016, 93 Eurovan MV TDI(1z)(sold!)
I added a 6" flex piece to my down pipe. Its made a small improvement like all of the tweaks done to reduce vibration. If anything, shut down and startup is a little less violent. Definate better there than not. I removed the gas muffler under the floor of the van with a straight through glass pack. Sounds the same, but there is some straight through exhaust now. I just have straight pipe where the muffler was at the end of the exhaust. I pulled my rear transmission mount as well and added some holes in the rubber where it was solid. its actually seemed to help, but maybe I just decreased the life of it. Either way, i'm aggressively attacking the vibrations and starting to get to a place where I'm ok with it.

I finally filled up with fuel again. Added 14.5 gallons and had gone 454 miles. 31mpg! That's great. I thought it was going to be less with all the city driving I had been doing. The van has not really had any sort of load in it and the miles were probably even between highway and city driving. Good start I think. This is with a stock turbo.

Last edited:

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI, 1993 Eurovan Weekender TDI(AHU) converted 2/2016, 93 Eurovan MV TDI(1z)(sold!)
Just another mileage post. 463 miles on 16.2 gallons. This was more typical city and highway driving mixed. 28.5 mpg isn't bad still for this heavy van. The last tank I was still dealing with limp mode quite often, so I couldn't really get on it. I definately did this time.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
Latest fillup took 16.7 gallons and had gone 567 miles. 33mpg, great! This was about 75% highway driving without traffic. No significant load in the van. Usually going about 65 at 2300rpm on my .711 5th gear. There could be some room for error in when the pump stops. This weekend will be our typical full camping load, so I'm eager to see the next average comes out to be.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
624 miles on 17.8 gallons. 35 mpg. Stock engine/turbo, 2" exhaust, no cat, straight through muffler. Van was loaded down for camping, but miles were 95% flatland. Running mostly around 65mph at 2200rpm.

Next update will a b4 tdi gauge cluster install.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
619 miles at 17.9 gallons. 34.6 mpg on 60% highway driving.

I did try and install the b4 Passat gauge cluster. After a weekend of tinkering with the Jetta pigtail, I managed to get all the functions to work except for the tach, speedo, and cel. Pretty much the 3 I wanted aside from glow plug. I just gave up and put the original van gauge back in to be able to still use the van. Next step when I get around it, is the tach signal needs to come from the ECU now, but need to dig in to see where it's coming from to make the right connection.

Last edited:

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
This I can help with!

The tach signal comes through Tv11 from t68/2 through plug G1(pin 12). Do a find for "tv11" on this page: http://andrewclink.com/projects/thebus/wiring for a description of how that works (I guess it's not organized very well given that it's more of a cluster difference than a cruise control thing).

That then goes from U1/6 into pin 10 of the T28 connector on the cluster which is the same for the Van harness as the B4 Passat harness (but maybe not the Jetta?)

http://andrewclink.com/projects/thebus/resources/b4-passat-cluster-pinout

The speed signal is called VSS a lot in the documentation I found. It goes through TV13 to U1/1 to T28/27. You need an electronic VSS sensor from a Jetta/Passat (it just screws onto the cable base) to get this signal. This is needed for cruise control too.

Check engine and glow plug light require a bit of additional work that depend on the cluster. I can't find them on the diagram now or in my notes, so I'll have to go look under the dash.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Andrew! I have my vss unit. I failed to spin it to see if it was passing through the harness correctly though. I just stopped after seeing I needed some wiring changes for the tach, then decided I'd work on it at a later time. This will make it easier when I get back to it. I'm good to go on the glow plug indicator and the rest of the warning lights though. Still currently using my original Van cluster. I just don't get a glow plug and cel indication. Oh, and I haven't even thought about cruise control yet.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
380 miles on 13.3 gallons. 28.5mpg. This time was a lot of hills with AC and stop/go traffic. I'm guessing a typical bottom end of fuel economy for harder driving. I'll take it.

GEE-BEE

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 AAZ
I wish I would have caught this build earlier, I would have mfg your coolant and inter hoses in silicone..

Good Luck..

Gee- Bee

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
Edited to pretty much remove my folley of changing around the contacts of one of the stock cruise control plugs. Going over Andrews information to try and sort out the last of my wiring and integration of a B4 cluster.

Last edited:

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't. I got the upper cover from Frans here on the forum. The lower I made with some spare aluminum sheet I had lying around.

rallywagon

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '00 Jetta
Cruising Speed Question

Josh,

Awesome work. I have a 93 Weekender and a 98 Jetta TDI, but both are running good in stock form for now.

I am curious about your cruising speed on the highway. I regularly cruise at 70 or 72 mph in the Weekender. The RPM is high (3500), but the engine seems happy.

Why are your cruising speeds only 65 mph given your taller fifth gear? Traffic, low speed limits, lots of law enforcement?

How does the rig sound / feel at 75 mph?

Thanks,

Scott

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
I just posted the details at 65mph since its a typical cruising speed for me. I have to get an hour or two out of Seattle, depending on direction, before I can be comfortable about not getting a ticket running at 70 and above. I have cruised at 70mph for extended periods and it was fine though. Does get a little buzzy above 70, but not too bad, with some drone. What's a typical cruising RPM for the AHU/1Z in a stock setup? I bought the engine already out of the donor vehicle and haven't driven an AHU powered vehicle previously.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
I wanted to update on some changes that I've made to clean up the build.

Stock cluster to Passat B4 cluster. The stock cluster was usable, but you cannot use cruise control and no glow plug and check engine light. One thing I didn't realize was that the speedo would not be correct with the wheel size change from the Passat to the Eurovan. Easily solved with sending the cluster over to Derek at Chubbs Auto. Now my correct rpm at 65mph is 2750. I'm still on the gas 02b with a .71 5th gear. I believe my next major change in the unknown future would be an EWB or Syncro transmission.

2.5 tdi intercooler. This really cleaned up my piping from the original setup. It also is made for the Eurovan/T4 so it has a place to drop in. I didn't use the upper mount as my earlier van doesn't have the studs. You could weld some studs on, but it seems to be pretty firm with just the lower mount. If you are a later van owner, you get the studs.

With using the intercooler in this position I cut down the stock air channel in the hood to work with it.

Fuel filter moved to the stock location just in front of the battery. There is a plate the 5cyl coil bolts to that is covering the hole that the filter fits into. There are just 3 rivets holding the plate down. This spot allow the filter to drain if necessary into an area that is not filled with hoses and wires.

Just found this one out recently. A friend is currently converting his VR6 to tdi. He found that the VR6 high pressure power steering line works great for the TDI. The stock 5cy line doesn't reach and needs to be extended in some way. I wish that I done this from the start.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
Improvements update. With the sale of my other TDI conversion, I purchased and installed an EWB transmission. Now I have a useable 4th gear. Honestly, it was good enough with the CPW/CHP transmission with the taller 5th gear, but the EWB definately makes it feel more complete. The 5th gear in the EWB is a .700, but I could see it taking a .658.

Also, I've been forever battling vibration issues at idle. I've made many adjustments. The stock transmissions use a rear mount where the rubber vibration isolator is not adhered to the casing. I did used some substandard adhesive to, for a short time remedy the movement, but once it started to move again, a part of the vibrations were back. This could be solved by just using a good window urethane to fuse it in there. When switching over to the EWB, the rear mount is a pendulum mount and the rubber isolator is fused to the casing, so that remedied that problem. The major vibrations were still there though. I had tried a few different mounts up front. I could feel that the most of the vibration was originating through the drivers sided mount. The stock mounts are solid rubber. On my other tdi, they worked great, but on this van, it still let more vibrations through. I found out from another tdi converter who put together a 1z into an 02 T4B from an auto that he just reused the 01p drivers side mount. Looking at pictures, i could see that the mounting was the same. I hadn't through about it previously, because I knew the mounting tower on the passenger side was taller than the T4A. I assumed the same for the drivers side, but was wrong. I bought a used drivers side mount and it was a slight pain to get in. As well, one of the mounting tower holes needed to be elongated for it to mount. To my amazement, I have very tolerable vibration at idle now. I don't know if it masking another issue, but it's very nice to sit idling now.

The 01p mount is oil filled(left) 02b standard mount with solid rubber mount(right)

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
Completed a 421 mile trip on 12 gallons of fuel to the southwestern tip of WA. 35 mpg still. This is with stock AHU, stock k03 turbo, Bosio 520 DLC injectors, stock 10mm pump and now 02b/EWB gearing. Nice to have the little bonus power with injectors, but not affect the fuel mileage. Mostly ran at 65 mph at 2700rpm for the 2/3 of the trip that was freeway.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
More tweaks. I think the ewb gearing is just right, but with an upcoming 3000 mile round trip, I though a 5th gear change could improve the drive.

This is an 02b ewb transmission with a 4.23 r&p with .700 5th gear set. That is 60mph at 2500rpm and 70mph at 3000rpm. I installed a .658 5th gear set and now run 60mph at 2250 and 70mph at 2500rpm. 4th gear will go 60mph at 3000rpm, so it’s a 750 rpm drop. So I need to stay in 4th a little longer now. It’s more of an overdrive gear for me now. Cruising is definately less buzzy. I always refer to these instructions when 5th gear swapping on 02a/02j/02b series transmissions.

http://www.benricci.com/files/gearswap.pdf

Also did some surface rust repair on the lower edges of the van and rolled Monstaliner over top.

Last edited:

goose737700

TDI
2013 tdi golf DSG. 1995 EVC AHU Tdi, Dsla 1019 injectors, Vnt15.
ref post #80

Hey Josh I am just getting around to hooking up my 2.5 TDI top mount intercooler I was wondering what did you use to make the connection on the downstream side,
I have an ahu intake which appears to be 2" and the hose dia looks to be 2.25 on the intercooler. any pointers would be appreciated before I deplete Amazon of assorted hose couplings.
Jay
in AZ

Last edited:

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
Good to hear that you're up and running well. I still need to get a few more things working right before I'm comfortable with more than a 100 mile trip around here. I had a frustrating limp mode that I think was from both overboost/boost spike and leaking boost piping. The fact that I'm using a BHW means that there are a few extra things i havent gotten working yet.

I've got a crw 02d woth a 4.56 R&P and a 0.769 5th. I've got a 0.700 5th to swap in, think that will be a big enough drop to lower the RPMs? What size tires are you running?

We should try and meet up with the PNW tdi swapped vans. I'm down in OR, about an hour South of Portland.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to hear that you're up and running well. I still need to get a few more things working right before I'm comfortable with more than a 100 mile trip around here. I had a frustrating limp mode that I think was from both overboost/boost spike and leaking boost piping. The fact that I'm using a BHW means that there are a few extra things i havent gotten working yet.

I've got a crw 02d woth a 4.56 R&P and a 0.769 5th. I've got a 0.700 5th to swap in, think that will be a big enough drop to lower the RPMs? What size tires are you running?

We should try and meet up with the PNW tdi swapped vans. I'm down in OR, about an hour South of Portland.

There are a few around the PNW. Seems more are in OR. I know a guy who is working on a 2.5tdi somewhere south of Salem.

The .769 5th may still feel short, but the .700 will be more ideal. I ran a .700 for a few years on the a CPW 4.56 r&p. I think it was 70mph at 3000rpm. You'll still have a jump from 4th to 5th though. I'm currently running 215/65 on 16" wheels. I had been running a .658 5th (there's details above) but swapped back to my .700 for less of a jump between 4th and 5th. I think I would like a .681 alternatively. The combination currently gives me 70mph at 2750 rpm.

I went with a .658 on my other swap and it cruised nicely in 5th gear, but a much larger jump, and was running on 15" wheels with 205/65 tires.

My problem blowing boost piping was due to routing my N75 hoses incorrectly.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Josh I am just getting around to hooking up my 2.5 TDI top mount intercooler I was wondering what did you use to make the connection on the downstream side,
I have an ahu intake which appears to be 2" and the hose dia looks to be 2.25 on the intercooler. any pointers would be appreciated before I deplete Amazon of assorted hose couplings.
Jay
in AZ

I few posts up, you can see a picture of the top mount intercooler which has the 2.5" connection. I routed 2" hose from the AHU intake and then adapted to 2.5" at the intercooler.

cj.surr

TDI
AHU Volvo 240
Did you notice much mileage benefit by changing the gears to drop from 3000RPM at 70mph to 2500RPM at 70mph? I am planning an AHU swap in a Eurovan and trying to pick my 5th gear ratio.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you notice much mileage benefit by changing the gears to drop from 3000RPM at 70mph to 2500RPM at 70mph? I am planning an AHU swap in a Eurovan and trying to pick my 5th gear ratio.

I did not see any benefit in the mileage. I switched back to the lower ratio to get better drive-ability through the range of gears. I didn't like the 4th-5th gap. If you are plowing miles on flat roads across the country, it may be more worth it. I use mine on a regular basis and its hilly in my part of the country. I would go for a .681 if I busted my .700 however. So this is in reference to the EWB or DUQ transmission(4.23 r&p).

On the other hand, if you are sticking with the CHP transmission(4.56 r&p), then .658 is totally viable. You will have a 4th-5th gap, but you will have better running on the freeway. You would not want to go less than .721 swapping into the CHP in my opinion.

Hopefully that helps.