Dealer wants $547 for Valve Cover Gasket replacement force me to buy new valve cover

honesttussey

TDI
Jetta MkIV
This dealer LOVES to pile on the charges. They want $332 for larbor and $215 in parts to replace a valve cover gasket. This is AFTER I already paid them $173 to fix this oil leak. They replace a seal around a vacuum pump.

They told me the only way to get a new gasket it buy an entirely new valve cover....I call bs.

I need advice from the gurus.

VFchicago88

Banned
i can only imagine the billions and billions of dollars americans waste on rip-off dealer jobs yearly!

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
If it's a PD engine then they are correct about the seal only being available with the valve cover. If you need it, I have a broken valve cover that still has the seal (that's why I kept it).

honesttussey

TDI
Jetta MkIV
vwmikel said:
If it's a PD engine

What's a PD engine?

Also I've been searching the forums and I think I'm gonna replace the valve cover myself.

Is this the correct part I need? MkIV 1999.5 Jetta 1.9 TDI

http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=654

or

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-valve-cover-with-gasket-tdi_7402.html

I've never worked on my car but I've worked bike, done valve replacements etc etc. so I know the concept just never done it on my jetta.

From what I read I have to remove the Engine cover, EGR valve.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
If this doesn't get you to stop going to the dealer, I don't know what will...

As was so kindly pointed out above, the price is slightly inflated... make that grossly inflated... It should take about 15 minutes to swap valve covers - unless there's a bolt that's stuck... then it may take a few minutes longer...

There are a number of TDI-Club members in the Orlando area who could do this for you... (If not, a quick trip to Tampa or Jacksonville will still save you money...)

All the best,

Yuri.

PS: you don't really need to remove the EGR valve... it may be a bit tricky getting to the 2 bolts in the back (a "stubby" 5 MM allen drive is often needed), but this isn't brain surgery... BTW: when you put them back in, the torque is very low... 7 Ft*Lbs, I believe...

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
honesttussey said:
What's a PD engine?

Also I've been searching the forums and I think I'm gonna replace the valve cover myself.

Is this the correct part I need? MkIV 1999.5 Jetta 1.9 TDI

http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=654

or

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-valve-cover-with-gasket-tdi_7402.html

I've never worked on my car but I've worked bike, done valve replacements etc etc. so I know the concept just never done it on my jetta.

From what I read I have to remove the Engine cover, EGR valve.
If it's a 99.5 then it's not a PD engine (PD's were sold from 2004 on) it's just a regular ALH engine.

The TDIparts link is confusing because they aren't the same valve cover yet it says it fits both :confused:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I highly doubt it's a valve cover gasket... look under the car (pull all of the T20's out), where is the oil coming from? the passengers side, drivers side, or the back of the engine?

honesttussey

TDI
Jetta MkIV
alphaseinor said:
I highly doubt it's a valve cover gasket... look under the car (pull all of the T20's out), where is the oil coming from? the passengers side, drivers side, or the back of the engine?

That's what I was thinking!!!! This an oil leak that is leaking out of the plastic drip pan and leaving noticeable amounts of oil on the ground (when the car is just sitting there). Over time it builds up and run starts to run across the floor.

How can that be coming from a valve cover and the car isn't even on?!

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
honesttussey said:
how many other TDIers are here in Orlando that can help? I wouldn't mind having some over have a few beers and change a valve cover.
Post in the Meetings/South Eastern US section... http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

First though, make sure it's the valve cover... could be one of several other places that are known for oil leaks... Take off the top and bottom engine covers and go to your local car-wash and power-wash the back of the engine at the valve cover and the bottom of the engine... you may have to go back over things with some brake cleaner... (stay away from electrical contacts with the power-washer...)

Yuri.