Front brake pad wear sensor

Front brake pad sensor

• Pads replaced BEFOR sensor activation (preventative maint)

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • Pads replaced AFTER sensor activation (corrective maint)

Votes: 43 50.6%
  • Pad worn "metal to metal" no sensor activation (corrective maint)

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Pad worn "metal to metal" but not symptoms indicative to a brake problem

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I'd like to hear from folks that have done a front brake job on their A-4 2000>.My question conserns the effectiveness of the pad wear sensor. Since there are four (4) pads on the front of the car and only one wear sensor I'd like to see some data from folks that have had a pad (any front pad) wear "metal to metal" and the wear sensor did not detect this wear because the sensor pad had not worn down to the activation point.

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
will let you know. right now am at 198+K miles on the original front rotors and pads of my 2001 Jetta. last oil change (190K) i measured the rotors and eyeballed the pads . . . they're about 1/2 gone.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
My OE pads gave me the wear indicator light at ~120k miles. Interestingly, it came on when I just started down a rough gravel road. At first I thought it was an ABS problem or something, and had to check my manual to see what that indicator was. I was on vacation, of course, which is when most automotive crises happen, according to Murphy's Law.

I replaced them with Brembo rotors and Pagid pads with wear sensors. Not long after, the rotors warped and I eventually replaced them again just out of annoyance, but this time with Balo rotors and new Pagid pads. The wear sensor obviously wasn't on beforehand, because the pads were only maybe 20k miles old. But when I did that second brake job, the wear indicator came on right away when I started it up. I thought I'd plugged in the sensor completely, but the car was on the ground and I didn't want to mess with it, so I just shut the indicator off with VAG-COM. I figured I got a bum sensor wire on those pads.

Gardentender, were you measuring the INNER pads? Those wear quicker than the outer ones, which are easier to see and measure.

Last edited:

ibrickey

TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS Black Auto Trans
I just replaced mine on my 2000 Golf TDI @ 62,000 mi...warning light came on so i checked them & found there was plenty of pad still on all 4 pads.
But at the inner edge of the rotor there was a buildup of rust that cut
into the pad & sensor wire & set of the warning light.
I think i got the buildup of rust because the car was sitting unused for a while..So i could do a TB change & intake cleaning & brake fluid change..
(Blue Stuff) & cup holder replace..( Broken) & Glove box fix..(Broken)
& MAF sensor..(Bad)..& Panzer Aluminum Skid Plate install.
I replaced them anyway.
*** Rick************

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
More *idiot* lights...

Herm.....

Your poll's terminology I take mild exception to.:D I replaced my rear brakes at 60,000 miles just prior metal to metal. Fronts lasted another 50,000 miles almost. Damm light came on with still LOTS of pad left on the front discs...I replaced my front brakes when they needed to be replaced in a *preventative* time frame. (I deactivated the sensor)

That stupid wear indicator serves no purpose whatsoever. I would of been metal to metal in the rear brakes. And fronts we not even half way worn.

Too much highway driving I think for my wear pattern. But for non-mechanical people, they may serve a purpose.....but not much of one...

Craig B

RHS

TDI
'06 TDI, pkg 1, 5 sp.
Sounds like the wear indicator needs to be on the rear pads, not the front ones.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
craig01b said:
That stupid wear indicator serves no purpose whatsoever. I would of been metal to metal in the rear brakes. And fronts we not even half way worn.
The reason that the wear sensors are on the front pads is because your rear brakes can be down to metal and the car will still be pretty safe, but your front brakes being down to metal is unsafe.

I was like most people who wondered why my rear brakes were gone long before the fronts; I thought something was broken. But VW actually biases the braking towards the rear in normal, non-panic stops. This helps the car 'squat' without diving/pitching when you come to a stop. This means the rear brakes are used more during normal stops, and your rear brakes go sooner. Yet the wear sensors are on the front.

VW decided not to give us a warning on the rear brakes because having the rear brakes being metal on metal isn't all that unsafe. Front brakes being on metal is unsafe, because in hard braking 70% of the braking is done with the fronts, so that's where they put the wear sensor. Wear sensors only on the rear pads wouldn't be good, becauase you'd replace your rear brakes only, and your fronts would have to wear down to nothing before you'd notice. So VW would then have to put wear sensors on both, which they likely didn't want to do for cost reasons. So the wear sensors went on the brakes that were a safety issue -- the fronts.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I understand the logic behind it..just means when I went metal to metal on the rears and took it to the stealership, they would of changed all of the brakes....I wonder how many sets of good front brakes have been tossed in the dumpster????

*feeling cynical*

Craig

Trnsform_Ltd

brake pad sensor/idiot light

I just replaced my front brake pads, apparently the new pads I bought don't have the 'wear sensor'. Everything went swimmingly except for the fact that I now have a persistent warning light for the brakes. I'll have to figure out how to turn the silly thing off. I didn't even know there was such a sensor (my pads were worn to just below 7mm--spec for changing according to Bentley manual).

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
It can easily be turned off with VAG-COM. Check the VAG-COM list at the top of the page to see who is near you with VAG that can help you out.

ibrickey

TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS Black Auto Trans
To.. Trnsform Ltd
Try this..Take the sensor wire from your old pad & twist the wire
loop At the end back together & plug it back in..
The light should go out?
** RICK ***********

Normando

TDI
Spice Red Jetta Wagon GLS TDI TIPTRONIC
Usually the wear is close to even

Herm TDI said:
I'd like to hear from folks that have done a front brake job on their A-4 2000>.My question conserns the effectiveness of the pad wear sensor. Since there are four (4) pads on the front of the car and only one wear sensor I'd like to see some data from folks that have had a pad (any front pad) wear "metal to metal" and the wear sensor did not detect this wear because the sensor pad had not worn down to the activation point.
You are right there should be two or four sensers but WV is cheep and there would be like 20$ of extra cost if the car had four. One does the job fine in Most cases.

The sensor in the front brakes goes off around 10 000 km before I would change my brakes. Old VW machanic, 2005 Jetta wagon 50 000 km per year 75% HWY. I am not hard on the brakes but I do use them in traffic for 20min each day.

As long as you don't have uneven ware or vibrations when you are braking you are good. I am positive the senser goes off to early. For most drivers you can go another 5000 km before requiring a service. Just to be safe you could get your brakes cleaned and give them a quick look over before taking my advice.

I am on my fourth tdi, this is my first new car ever. I think I will save one brake change over the life of this car by waiting a little before changing them each time the senser goes off. The pads have to stay solid, in one piece and be at least 6 mm thick throughout the pad. I think I had 9mm on my thinest pad when the sersor went off. The senser went off for me at 87000 km I will hit 100 000 km soon and change them then. The car is less than two years old. If everything goes smoothly I pan on turning the disks twice before purchasing new disks around 300 000km less than four years from now.

Don't forget to blead your brakes, I have a hoist at my house it only takes me 20min or so to bleed, it can add a little to the brakes response time (5%-10% after 2 years or hard use).

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Front brakes changed prior to sensor going off. Rears were changed after an inspection done during tire rotation indicated they were ready (they were metal to metal when it was done). I'm hard on brakes - period. I LIKE doing maximum performance stops - characterized in an ABS car as feeling the brake pedal shudder. I haven't quite got the nerve to do "stopies" on my Pacific Coast Motorcyle, but I stop hard on it as well.

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Herm...count me in as another member who had the sensor light went on well before the pads packed it in. I've got 271000 km on original brakes with over 50% left on the front pads. The dinky wires wear out way before the pads do... I just shorted out the wires and no more light. Now thats what I call a cheap fix!
Byron

Manu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf Wagon 6MT Highline TDI
Waited till the sensor light came on b4 replacing pads and rotors. Pads add a good 35/40 % left on them tough......

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
Although there is a sensor on only one pad it is the pad that wears the most quickly. On most cars the right inner pad wears faster than the others and thats typically were the sensor is. German cars tend to have them on the inner left because that is the pad that wears fastest for some reason. I really don't know why one front inner would wear faster than the other although I've heard many theories. I do know that on cars with sensors the pad with the sensor almost always wears out first. Also, 'worn out' means 2-3mm of pad remaining. If you let the pads get thinner than that there is a greater risk that the pad could seperate from the backing plate and thats a bad thing.

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
I replaced my front brake pads and rotors this morning at 56k miles. I think the indicator light turned on at 55k (I don't quite remember). All pads wore evenly and pad thickness was 10mm (wear limit is 7mm). If I wasn't heading on a big road trip soon, I would have waited until 60k to change them.

This was very different from my rears (replace at ~40k miles). Each of those pads wore differently and the left inner pad wore the most.

Just an observation: if your wear indicator has turned on and you have more than 10 cm of thickness, check to make sure that both sensor wires are attached at the pad. I haven't checked a wiring diagram, but my guess is that if the circut opens, the light will turn on.

--Andy

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
Chemboy said:
I replaced my front brake pads and rotors this morning at 56k miles. I think the indicator light turned on at 55k (I don't quite remember). All pads wore evenly and pad thickness was 10mm (wear limit is 7mm). If I wasn't heading on a big road trip soon, I would have waited until 60k to change them.

This was very different from my rears (replace at ~40k miles). Each of those pads wore differently and the left inner pad wore the most.

Just an observation: if your wear indicator has turned on and you have more than 10 cm of thickness, check to make sure that both sensor wires are attached at the pad. I haven't checked a wiring diagram, but my guess is that if the circut opens, the light will turn on.

--Andy
It's not uncommon for brake pads to wear evenly but the pad with the sensor on it rarely wears faster than the other three.

Just to clarify, when I said 2mm is worn out I was refering to the thickness of the friction material not including the steel backing. The 7mm spec includes the steel backing.

nick02

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta silver
Hello, I just replaced my front pads and turned rotors. I noticed my pad was 3/32". Sensor was worn almost in half. No light came on. After removing pads, the plug for the sensor was in the housing but not pushed home. This car was 100% dealer serviced, just another reason to avoid them. Nick

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2013 Tornado Red
My warning light just came on last week at almost 82k. I was just going to ask how long I could go, but it looks like the consensus is the it can go quite a bit. I want to wait until the annual Memorial Day GTG at Marty's do do a complete brake job.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
pads replaced after the sensor thingy went off.... shortly after the last rear brake revamp. I went to bleed the fronts and to my absolute shock, I found the front brakes were still original at some 165+K. they were grooved really badly so there was metal on metal contact on the outside, and there was still pad left in the middle... replaced rotors and pads promptly. hooked up the sensor again (I was considering bypassing it). only issue I had, the pads I bought - the coating applied to the backing plate had dripped and built up, causing the pad not to fit. lil correction with a bastard file had the $20 Murray's pads fitting like a glove.

FasterXR4ti

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,1997,silver
I replaced the pads and rotors on my 2000 golf this weekend. The sensor went off and there was only 0.5mm of material left. The sensor performed well in my instance.

Roger

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
I change pads when one of three things happen..

First, pads wear down to the indicator which makes an awful racket and I can't take it anymore. (or no indicator and they're down to metal on metal)

Second, rotors warp and I can't stand the vibrations any longer.

Third and finally, inspection station says that they won't pass the car with the current set.

Otherwise, if it stops, don't fix it :p

Funny story... doing front brakes once and my dad and I each take a side to speed it up. 30 minutes later i roll it out of the garage and instant metal on metal sound.. back it back into garage and pop off dad's side and voila... pad in backwards.... thx dad....go get your glasses...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
not servicing your brakes regularly dunno513 is exactly what leads to situation #2

floating calipers need lubrication, but because of the awful dust and road grime in the wheel area, the lube needs cleaining/replacement about every 36,000 kms. no lube means the caliper won't release the pads, and stuck pads get hot and warp rotors.

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
ibrickey said:
I just replaced mine on my 2000 Golf TDI @ 62,000 mi...warning light came on so i checked them & found there was plenty of pad still on all 4 pads.
*** Rick************
I did the same I bought all the parts took it apart and found I had over half the pads left:( I saved the parts but they will probably be tassed because thay will rust without wear.

4JimmyVee

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Silver
Are you sure your brakes have a wear sensor, My 1999.5 golf and I'm told the 2000 tdi does not have a front wear sensors, I know I bought pads with the sensor only to see my mechanic cut them off.