timing belt install problem crank moving

Victorjay

TDI
13 VW Jetta sport wagon
Hi all, I'm trying to get my new tb on and having problem with the crank moving. I have the ip pinned and the cam lock in but every time I thread the belt through and install the cam sprocket the flywheel moves two teeth back. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You need to lock the crank. You can use a special tool or even jamb a screwdriver (or other) in between the crank pulley and the block.

Bert0925

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, 2003 Jetta TDI
Since you dont have a crank lock, some people wedge a screwdriver where the flywheel is to help it from moving a bit.

Once the belt is on even if it did move a bit, no worries, just move the crank by hand after to the mark. Provided the IP and cam sprocket are loose you can move just the crank and not disturb the other 2 since they are locked and its just the sprocket that is moving.

Just make sure that the IP ajustment bolts are somewhat in the middle.

Hope this helps.

Victorjay

TDI
13 VW Jetta sport wagon
Thank you, I don't have the crank lock, tried te screwdriver but it moves. Can I loosen the bolts on the ip with the pin in, and correct the flywheel mark, one tooth off now...

Victorjay

TDI
13 VW Jetta sport wagon
OK looking good, that brought me back to tdc. going to tighten cam sprocket and rotate two turns,Thanks all!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Manual shift transmissions can be left in gear. The added load can keep the crank from rotating.
The cam and injection pump are pinned, but the SPROCKETS attached to the cam and pump should be loose (not more than finger tight). If the pump or cam sprockets are causing the crank to move, the sprocket(s) are too tight on the cam or pump shaft.

Victorjay

TDI
13 VW Jetta sport wagon
Ok, I think I should have had the pump bolts loose but didn't until I kept getting the crank movement, I did have it in R but still moved. I took the cam sprocket off to get the belt on so marking did no good. Everything is lined up still,looking good. Rear MM bolt broke today, stretched to much, went to dealer to get new one, didn't get to 44 lbs but not over stretched, other two good. Manifold install tomorrow after work & new GP harness install. Been down three weeks now, maybe rolling by this weekend. Thanks to all, I'll post pics when done...