Kerma OMI

wakdady

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
So i've been amassing parts for my ALH.
One of my purchases was a new style OMI from Kerma.

There are no tabs to bolt this thing to anything. Is that gonna be alright?
Anyone have experience with this? I say the one on IDParts had a tab on the picture but chose the Kerma due to price.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
From what I understand, the newer Kerma OMI is made out of aluminum & lightweight. It does not require any other mounting than the clamps that hold the pipes in place.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Without any restraints, I don't see what will keep it from flopping around with engine movement. The rubber elbow at the turbo won't keep it very rigid, and otherwise it will just be tied to the airbox, which is stationary. Pics?

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
There are no tabs to bolt this thing to anything. Is that gonna be alright?
Anyone have experience with this?
My OMI was custom made and over the years the top mounting tab has sheared off due to engine movement/vibrations.

I ended up cutting the tab off instead of trying to weld back together over and over again. Never had problems since.

IMO you don't need it. Connect to turbo, connect to airbox, done

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I run the factory pd150 tip. It is aluminum and has mounting tabs, but due to the bigger gtb2260vk with the aftermarket exhaust manifold, i cant use either of the mounting tabs. Its been fine that way for years. No mounts needed.

wakdady

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
cool! thanks for the feedback! I haven't put it in yet, but will post pics when I do.
The turbo needs to be put in first.

I did, however, Install my tacotaco SMIC. it did not want to go in smoothly and I had to bend the tabs as well as widen the holes for the mount too.

The pic is what it looked like before modification

wakdady

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
So here's the problem. I ordered it with the junction for the oil catch thing.

Only problem is its in the wrong location! Furthermore, the hose is too large for the width of the actual piece that's supposed to fit in it. Now what?!

Last edited:

wakdady

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
So I spoke with Paul at Kerma and was told I would have to fabricate hoses to go to the sensor and CCV. As well as making the sensor fit correctly.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
FYI it's not a sensor but a heater to prevent the ccv water vapors from freezing and blocking the ccv when the hit sub zero winter intake air temps

wakdady

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
FYI it's not a sensor but a heater to prevent the ccv water vapors from freezing and blocking the ccv when the hit sub zero winter intake air temps

ahah, that explains why it looks the way it does on the inside.

Living in the bay area, will that have any consequences with a M.I.L. or the like should I remove it?

Nickmix

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI
So I spoke with Paul at Kerma and was told I would have to fabricate hoses to go to the sensor and CCV. As well as making the sensor fit correctly.
So he didn't offer any suggestions as to what you could use to fabricate the rest of the kit?

wakdady

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
this is what I received from them

"A 3/4 ID hose is necessary to hook up the CCV puck to the CCV hose. We are developing one now that we will be including in our new OMI kits which will be more expensive. Here are the instructions for installing the OMI ​"

wakdady

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
the nipple broke on my vac ball a while ago when i removed it so i bought a new one and it came like this.
the old one didn't have though.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
VW must have had a number of heat related failures there.
I'm feeling a ghetto-mod in my future!
Also, you might try rotating the CCV puck to shorten the hose run.

Last edited:

wakdady

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
so it turns out finding a hose for this thing is a huge PITA.

only thing i could find was a large diameter clear pvc hose at ace hardware. it's hardly bendable and looks like crap.

I don't want to buy kerma's catch can for some $2xx because i feel it's heavily overpriced.

any suggestions?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Take it to a decent hot rod shop or custom exhaust shop. They should be able to weld in a small pipe t allow you to run the stock puck position and hose.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Geez, that just doesn't look at all like the older units and the CCV attachment & placement they had. I have an older unit and the fit and adaptation is much better and well thought out. Seems like this new unit is not a finished product, leaving it to you the end user to flush that out...kind of like being a "beta" tester...a bit sad me thinks.

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
@wackdaddy

You aren't going to pass cali emissions without the egr valve, so you might as well not mod the intake at all and just run an "elephant hose" out under the car to dump ccv to atmosphere......

wakdady

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
in any event, it's not fitting very well.
it hits one of the vacuum sensors that sit on the firewall, i had to jam the sensor/heater thing in backwards so it fits, finding the right hose hasn't been easy. it fits like so...

I feel as though I have to purchase a catch can now.

Otherwise, any ideas on how to best route these hoses?

CA smog is going to be difficult, but I do have a little time before that comes up.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Geez, that just doesn't look at all like the older units and the CCV attachment & placement they had. I have an older unit and the fit and adaptation is much better and well thought out. Seems like this new unit is not a finished product, leaving it to you the end user to flush that out...kind of like being a "beta" tester...a bit sad me thinks.
Yes, I'm thinking the same thing. I have their first run of OMI's and it uses the stock accordian hose from the air box. I had to modify it some to fit the PD intake but not too bad...

Caddysmack

TDI
2003 jetta, 2004 jetta, 1990 Corrado, lots of caddy's
I have them on my cars

I have the aluminum one on my bew and the same one you have on my old ALH before I sold it and they worked great. Fitment was not bad but I also have there catch cans. I come from the gas VW scene and the kerma can is cheap compared to the ones the guys are making for the gas vag cars.
Here are some images of my bays:
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Wish I had a better picture of my old ALH bay. I-phone 3 was not the best.

wakdady

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
just an update.
Finally got Kerma's OMI to fit right. The fit from the turbo to the intake box fits pretty well.
It's light enough that it seems to support itself just fine.

The ccv issue has been addressed a ghetto way, but it works sans catch can.