both Side Marker bulbs burning out (repeatedly?)

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Hi all, I searched for similar problems but couldn't find.

I noticed that both side markers were out about 6 months ago (had the car for a year). Went to the auto parts store and replaced with 2 2825 / 194 bulbs. Everything worked fine, and I forgot about it.

After finally getting around to installing my euroswitch and playing around with it, I noticed they were not coming on with the middle parking setting. So I pulled the bulbs, and sure enough, only 5-6 months later, they are burned out again; I don't know how long they have been that way.

I put new ones in and they work, for now. The fuses were fine also. Any clue what would cause this? I did see on another forum string that these should be W3W not the 5 watt 194s commonly recommended because W5W will burn the holder (my holder isn't burnt, just the bulbs). Could this be the issue? Also, in that case, would LEDs be a better option?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The 194s are not 5 watts they are 3.24 watts and are perfectly finne to use. The W3W European is a 3-watt bulb and what was installed from the factory.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Hmm, I just realized that mine had 2825 listed on the bulb. Now I'm not certain if that is a 194 or a 168. Any idea if that is correct. According to Dieseldorf in your old thread "2825 = W5W = 168", that means it is 5 watts?

I'm confused, and trying to understand why these have burned 2x and whether I need to use a different bulb. Thanks for the input.