1980 VW Pickup 1.9 AHU Turbo, 5 spd

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
Nice truck and yes, it brings back memories for me too. I had an 81 diesel and I got about 46 on the interstates. your 44 is right in line.
If you put an aeroshell on it you could get a 6% or 7% bump, maybe more.

whitegm1

TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup/AHU Diesel, 5spd, 12mm IP, .216 nozzles, 45mpg
Last MPG check is 47mi,still lead footing in the fast lane, I'll do a proper check on the next tank at 65 to 75mph and see if I can crack the 50mpg. did set the camber to specs, think the tires were scrubbing a bit. will get a little more detailed on the alignment when the weather is cooler,
Mark

whitegm1

TDI
Little update:
I have about 13,000 mi on the conversion, a few problems but running good.
The wheel bearing in the left front was purchased from AutoHaus Az cheap and that it was, I found some good SKF bearings online that cost much more and replaced that one and smooth again.
The flex hose I replaced for the turbo seems to be over flooding the seal so I'll have to make a orifice and restrict some flow to the turbo to solve that.
I got lazy and had a shop put in a new exhaust system for me that is not right, I'll have to remove parts of it and redo them, hard to find good help,
I still have the A/C to fix and straightening out the wiring, hopeful maybe in the spring or early summer.
Mark

whitegm1

TDI
Approx 19,200 mi on conversion, redid down pipe that was jacked up at local shop.
Runs good and smooth, averaging 41 mpg. I have worn out my tires I bought new with 40,000 mi, suppose to be 90,000 mi tires?????, I need another gear or taller tires anyway, I use 2nd gear to take off, I would like to split the difference between 1st and 2nd as first is to low, so I will calculate what I think I need and come up with a tire size in 15" and have the wheels re rimed , news later.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
What trans code are you running? Although the CTN would be best, ACN has some of the longest 020 gears.

The CTN can be run with rod linkage and cable actuation.

-Todd

whitegm1

TDI
Hello Todd,
Its a DFW from Germany, same as the ACN, the 13" tires are 22.7" , 15" starts with 24.2" dia tire and are more abundant, increase is approx 10mi mph difference, right now with the ahu the 1st gear is like a compound low, this would get me to the speeds I drive with the rev's lower

Mark

whitegm1

TDI
Update: Just pasted 54k, with approx 27.7k on 1.9 & rebuilt trans,
Finally sorted out down pipe and tail pipes fr exhaust, had a small fire as a result of crack in down pipe that melted ALH intake up pipe above manifolds,
I have Michelin defenders 175/70/13 on the 13" rims that were installed after the 1.9 went in,they were suppose to be 90k tires but I will be lucky to get 1/2 that, I found some 185/70R13 Kumho Solus tires on line pretty cheap so those will go on after summer,this will also kick up my ratio for speed.
The AZZ clutch that I was assured would work fine from Quality German Auto Parts has been slipping and very hard to adjust to the sweet spot, I think the aftermarket cables stretch too much and don't allow you to get the adjustment right??? Paid a lot of money for that sales pitch.
Will be putting in a better clutch than factory next time.

Last edited:

rafter 4x4

TDI
1981 cabby pickup
Great thread this is just what I am trying to do for my DD.
What clutch are you thinking about using?
I am in the parts ordering and researching stag. Vacation was just approved for July. Can't wait to start hoping to get swap completed in 3 wks time.
How long did it take you to complete your swap to where the truck was drivable ?

whitegm1

TDI
Hi,
I am still looking into clutches and hope folks with a 020 trans will let me know if they have had great experiences with a setup,

Time wise was a while as I did the engine /trans /exhaust / mounts and all when I had time, I have other vehicles.

There is some fab work but minimal with the AHU, The ALH has brackets you can buy, nice engine. I spent a lot on the engine, trans and injection pump, that pump is great!

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Kumho Solis tires are just cheap tires. Don't expect anything near the 90K miles from them. 40K will be darn good. I have used a couple of sets.

15 inch wheels and tires will help. So would the 6 gear conversion from EuroTuning. It is a bolt on conversion for your transmission. I run one with the CTN transmission.

whitegm1

TDI
55,775 mi on OD, 1.9 went in with 27,300 on OD, 42mpg seems to be the average been running great, wish I had gotten the a/c done, its been real hot early this year, developed some oil leaks, I think I will try and take care of those when the first timing belt change is due, due to the rear seal. Anyways all is good with the vw, my main transportation! Mark

whitegm1

TDI
Update: Just passed 57k, with approx 30.7k on 1.9 & rebuilt trans, I was hoping to make the timing belt change at 60K before major repairs.
The Advance Injection Pump is working superbly despite opinions other wise The clutch and crank seals are the problem. Tried another Muff shop, they all are terrible in my area, will do my own work from here on.
The truck is used and worked daily, averaging 44mpg,

whitegm1

TDI
Checking back in ! the TDI lost compression and spins freely? looks like a tear down. I don't like gear shifting so I may go with an adapted gm 4speed OD, which leads into the next thing, May fab and set this little truck on a Jeep CJ5 frame and do a real nice 4X4 conversion along with a full restoration on the body, mind you no cutting the body, using spring perches and front axle/trans/ motor mount points to attach to frame. Also if anyone interested, I would sell for $8500.00 before I get started if you think this is what your looking for, got at least double that in it,

Last edited:

whitegm1

TDI
SOOOO,
I've had my Volks tucked away for some time, needs tear down of the engine, have plans to pull it out and mybe look at what went south.