1980 VW Pickup 1.9 AHU Turbo, 5 spd

whitegm1

TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup/AHU Diesel, 5spd, 12mm IP, .216 nozzles, 45mpg
Hello,
I have this on the road now, best mileage so far has been 37.5mpg going 80+ down the fast lanes,
Still alot to shake down but it was time to get this roadable as my other cars were starting to have issue's and gas prices are on the way up again.
Time to share experience and info as this site has been alot of help.
I will add info as time permits.

This is the victim;

Installed 1.9, replaced the 1.5. Engine/ Trans rebuilt], new mechanical injection pump.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Looks more like an AAZ to me.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
That's an ahu that's been converted to run mechanically. You can tell it's not an IDI motor by looking at the injectors.

-J

whitegm1

TDI
AHU stamp on block,

1.9 stamp on block,

block in sand blast booth,

Block in bare metal,

Sand blaster,

Last edited:

whitegm1

TDI
ALH INTAKE with modified AHU turbo discharge;

new KKK turbo,

New mechanical 12mm injection Pump.

whitegm1

TDI
needed car on the road,time/money/space, and it runs great without it.
maybe in the future. i'm thinking a combo intercooler / radiator as the TDI hardly runs warm, so I don't need the old radiator size, after the summer and running the A/C I'll Know for sure,.
Mark

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Very nice work... I had an 1980 PU once so the pictures bring back fond memories. :):)

For curiosity's sake, who built your mTDI pump?

whitegm1

TDI
It is, fit like a factory AHU, stock parts and mount, was a pleasant surprise, first timing set at .039" was the best so far, set at .049" now which is to fat. next time in I will reset to .037". also running .216mm nozzles.
Mark

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Nice... I would have expected better mileage with a light chassis.

Is that a MaxJax?

-Todd

whitegm1

TDI
Sorry Todd, what is a MaxJax?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a portable lift. After looking at the pic again, I don't believe it's the MaxJax.

-Todd

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Where in Ca. are you? I'd love to take a look at your setup. I'm trying to decide whether to go m-tdi or tdi for my newly acquired caddy.

By your first pic I suspect SoCal.

oil_me

Veteran Member
TDI
Black '99 Jetta, Glacier Blue Audi 80 Quattro TDI
I'm using the same pump on my AHU w/30k. I recently got 50.3 mpg in an AWD Audi 80. I also say you should be getting much better mileage though when my engine was new all I could muster was 39mpg. My timing is .945mm (.037") after much trial & error so you're right on the mark. Very nice setup.
Rich

whitegm1

TDI
aslspiderman,
Please do, interesting how these grow on you. looking forward to chatting with you.
oil me; Rich,
Thanks for that info, I am going to install a ALH adjustable pully on the injection pump as soon as I find a hub, and go for the .037" you suggested, last fillup showed the mpg @ 38.73, and 526 miles on the tank, 13.58gals,.
Here are some pic's of the exhaust manifold I welded together, I used the AHU 90* piece from the manifold flange and 2 extra 90* s found in the junk yard, only tight turns I could source, a small short slip over piece from auto zone and the 1.5 flange at the bottom carefully cut were it was 2" to fit on the 1.9s 2" Pipe. In review the 1.9 pipe is 2" and the 1.5 is 1 7/8", some day I will have a nice quiet full 2" system installed, as of now I am utilizing the Pickups stock exhaust.
This setup is tight and the heat next to the shift linkage is making the linkage grow and messing with shifter function, another fix another day.

Last edited:

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
I am running 3 " exhaust right off the turbo. Running 02a trans and cable shift, have had no issues.

whitegm1

TDI
I decided to use during the build the 1.5 Alternator, A/C with the AHU Injection pump mount and Timing belt backing plate and cover,
I used the AHU water pump pulley because I had bought a new steal impellered pump, when and if this pump goes out I will go back to the 1.5 pump and pulley.
Using a old AHU pump i removed the pully mount flange and machined it to 3/16" thick as a spacer to put the belt in alignment with the 1.5 pulley's on the crank and A/C compressor,

whitegm1

TDI
This is the oil cooler piping and adapter to fit the 1.5 steel piping coming down the back of the motor, I opted to use this as it did not have the egr cooler stubs and was cleaner,

whitegm1

TDI
So I have had a couple go arounds with the Injection Pump bracket loosening up and breaking bolt, 6mm or just backing out and falling in between engine and bracket, cured this by installing a 3/8" NC grade 8 on back of bracket. when the pump loosens up the rocking action causes injection lines to fatigue and crack, This is a result of the extra torque to turn the pump I believe.

You can see the silver allen head cap screws, the lower right is the one replaced with the 3/8", if and when I have the engine apart to the extent I can get to the other 2 I will drill and tap for the 3/8 bolts.

whitegm1

TDI
Developed a leak at the fuel tank, needed a quick repair while I assessed what to do?????????. The take is filthy needs pressure washing before starting removal .
I have a 21 gallon aux take that came with the Truck when I bought it so I slipped it back in the truck hooked it up and am running on that in the mean time

Anyone know were I can get a new pickup tank???

Thanks Mark

whitegm1

TDI
Since the last post I have increased mpg to 44, installed new Sachs struts up front, new bearings, this has quiet and smooth out the truck alot, may see some improved mpg as a result? Oil filled struts are nice soft ride, was not to thrilled with stiff KYB's I put on back.
Have had the radiator fan running from time to time due to the 102*F outside temp, in the past was wondering if the radiator was to big. Will probably just stick with it.
Had the Turbo tube start leaking, had bought it off e-bay. ended up as a quick fix buying this one, fits in stock location perfectly;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161749851582?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Since the last post I have increased mpg to 44, installed new Sachs struts up front, new bearings, this has quiet and smooth out the truck alot, may see some improved mpg as a result? Oil filled struts are nice soft ride, was not to thrilled with stiff KYB's I put on back.
[/URL]
What are you running in back now? I'm preparing to do a full suspension refresh on mine and have heard KYB's are really stiff.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone know were I can get a new pickup tank???

New tanks aren't available, aftermarket. Used will be your only option. How bad is the leak? Pinholes?

My tank had pinholes and I was able to seal them with POR-15. Fuel tank epoxy would be another option.

Does that aux tank have baffles to prevent starvation? Is it able to be plumbed into the stock tank?

-Todd

whitegm1

TDI

whitegm1

TDI
New tanks aren't available, aftermarket. Used will be your only option. How bad is the leak? Pinholes?
My tank had pinholes and I was able to seal them with POR-15. Fuel tank epoxy would be another option.
Does that aux tank have baffles to prevent starvation? Is it able to be plumbed into the stock tank?
-Todd
Hello Todd,
I have not ventured into removing the tank, will probably do this winter, Kinda thought they weren't available, may have an extra capacity built, but have not really decided,
The aux tank has two baffles, starvation has not been a problem, it has 2 nipples on the bottom on either side plus the top 2,
I plan on putting a three way electric valve and gauge arrangement on the tank after I do the original.
It was at one time plumbed up to the stock tank but I think it would need a 100% seal as not to leak.
With the two tanks I could have close to a 2000 mi range, if times get bad or I can get a good price on fuel this may be the way to go.
Mark

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Hello Todd,
I have not ventured into removing the tank, will probably do this winter, Kinda thought they weren't available, may have an extra capacity built, but have not really decided,
The aux tank has two baffles, starvation has not been a problem, it has 2 nipples on the bottom on either side plus the top 2,
I plan on putting a three way electric valve and gauge arrangement on the tank after I do the original.
It was at one time plumbed up to the stock tank but I think it would need a 100% seal as not to leak.
With the two tanks I could have close to a 2000 mi range, if times get bad or I can get a good price on fuel this may be the way to go.
Mark
I was cruising vortex and found this: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7233891-FS-Caddy-fuel-tank

I think it might be from a gasser.