Limp Mode

r0nd3L

TDI
2003 Jetta
My car sometimes goes into limp mode when I keep it floored for more than half a minute.

Today it actually threw a CEL as well, which was overboost condition.

I logged MAF and MAP, results are below. MAP readings seem pretty normal to me, but are MAF ok?

I know there can be many various causes of the limp mode, but I thought I'd start here.

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
Wow, still chasing the issue? I got a mityvac($30) and tracked my problem down in an afternoon- see my sig for a link on limp mode diagnosis.

r0nd3L

TDI
2003 Jetta
Wow, still chasing the issue? I got a mityvac($30) and tracked my problem down in an afternoon- see my sig for a link on limp mode diagnosis.
I finally got off my lazy ass and bought Mityvac.

I tested the Vacuum source for N75 and it's getting little over 25in, which I assume is ok?

Next step was to pull off the "Out" line from N75 and apply vacuum to it. The actuator rod did not start moving until ~10in and stopped at around ~15. It also doesn't hold vacuum and it slowly drops to zero. To be sure, I connected Mityvac right to the actuator to bypass OE vac line and it still acts the same

The N75 doesn't cycle the actuator as well when ignition is turned on. I swapped with EGR valve and it still doesn't cycle. EGR cycles fine with either valves.

So, if I'm correct it is definitely an actuator?

Last edited: