E320 CDI

DaveW

TDI
Jetta 2001 Baltic Blue
I have not seen any posts lately from Viesel about his CDI. Has the problem been found and repaired?
I was at a local dealer, he has a demo that has to be held for test drives until the end of the month, per MB. They also have another new car in stock. I would like to check it out, but concerned over Viesels problem and the lack of trouble shooting.
Has anyone heard?
Thanks
Dave

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW

DaveW,

See: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...=21&fpart=1

Also, see: http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82639

I'm beginning to get the feeling that Viesel has more or less decided to just "live with it"
if the dealer cannot correct whatever is causing his problem.

So far as I can determine, no one else is experiencing this, although I wonder why there
are as many as fifteen Starmark Certified used vehicles listed on the MBZ site already?

The CDIs have only been available since April.
How can people be tired of 'em already?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
With an expensive car like that, it might not be a matter of being "tired" of it as much as someone losing their job / getting a pay-cut / wife having a baby and having to get something else because of that. There's always the occasional person who buys more than they can really afford ... If you buy on a loan rather than a lease, monthly payments for the whole amount of the car would be over $1000 per month, and that's a BIG chunk of change ...

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
I'm used to paying this "chunk of change." For my trouble, I get to help more people (work is satisfying, you know) and then drive home in the only vehicle that could hold its own compared to my old Porsche, and it has been flawless for 12,000 miles and counting.

Sure, even today's Wall Street Journal has Mercedes in it admitting to problems with electrical systems (probably what bugs Viesel). My experience with the Mercedes brand, at least since 1986, was that they iron out problems by the third year of production of a particular model, and yes, they have had some problems in the past in some areas. These will happen when you take necessary risks in pioneering some technologies as they normally do (and Toyota rarely if ever does). Their policy has been to offer updates to their cars. I don't think you would be disappointed if you find the right dealer. I have been buying Mercedes for a while and have seen them cancel a dealer contract due to problems with service (VW take notice!). I usually see great effort to make the customer (me) satisfied.

They are passionate about their cars, period. Only Porsche is in this league, in my opinion,(MB has better service to be sure). Its no surprise that Ferdinand Porsche was a Mercedes engineer early in his career.

I have met a great-grandson of Carl Benz and understand what goes into their cars, like no other car company, by his attitude and presence.

But, like a fine wine, it doesn't need to cost a lot - a good Benz will clobber a Rolls or a Ferrari IMO at much less cost. Few Mercedes look old after 25 or more years. Their styling is timeless.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
a good Benz will clobber a Rolls or a Ferrari IMO at much less cost. Few Mercedes look old after 25 or more years. Their styling is timeless.
I was visiting Harvieux today, and saw an '87 MB 300D. 17 years old, and it looked better than most 2 or 3 year old cars. But of course somebody cared enough to take treat it right.

There are a lot of mid-1980s MB diesels on the road out here in California, and most of them look pretty rough. With fuel prices going up, however, many of them will still be on the road in another 10 years.

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
Hey guys, Na, still have the problem with the CDI. After getting back from the fest I have been a little busy and then delt with the hurricanes. Got power back last night and internet today. They wanted me to wait till after the storm to bring the car back and so I am suppose to take it in tomorrow Wed and leave it with them.
Just drove it to Orlando and back today, But I still have that surging power loss. I will keep you guys posted.

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI

Hope what you're saying is the case, and not because of "turbo fluctuations."

I'm not so sure what your statement is addressing but I can tell you that I went to Orlando yesterday to visit a friend that was down from the DC area on business and I let him drive my CDI around for the afternoon and he even noticed that it has a power surge and loss etc. Are you doubting me that there actually is no turbo fluctuations as you call it?
Let me tell you guys I have went thru hell with the repairs and the service manager even has driven the car and completely agrees that there is a problem with it. But I am trying to be very patient whit it.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Hope what you're saying is the case, and not because of "turbo fluctuations."

I'm not so sure what your statement is addressing but I can tell you that I went to Orlando yesterday to visit a friend that was down from the DC area on business and I let him drive my CDI around for the afternoon and he even noticed that it has a power surge and loss etc. Are you doubting me that there actually is no turbo fluctuations as you call it?
Let me tell you guys I have went thru hell with the repairs and the service manager even has driven the car and completely agrees that there is a problem with it. But I am trying to be very patient with it.

My comments were directed at the post directly above to GoFaster, and not to you.

We know that y'all have been going through hell lately due to the weather.
That is something that no one can do anything about, but you can do something about your car!

I do not have your patience, and if the car were mine, it would either be fixed by now,
or I'd be driving a new replacement vehicle.

You are being too patient and understanding with the dealer, and should by now be forcing them to replace that car.
Life is to short to be fooling around with this problem, and I agree, there is a problem with your particular car.

No one doubts that I'm sure!

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
Well the car is at the dealer and I am waiting to hear from them. If they cant find the problem this time then I am going to set my foot down very firmly and start demanding. Im always a believer of not loosing my temper or having a pissy attitude and treating events like this properly instead. I will make an appointment with the higher up at the dealer and sit down and nicely start demanding. Then if results are not to my satisfaction then I will mail in the lemon forms that are still sitting on my deask ready to go. I really didnt want to start all over with another car, I am happy with mine now that I have the Brabus sport springs, wheels, dark tint and so forth, although they can be R&R to another car. I think that if I can start all over the only thing I would like is the vented seats and take the European delivery. I would wait 3 months for that. I would take a long vacation and travel around with the new CDI and then bring it home. Now that would be really cool, Wonder if I could stop by the VW factory and take a tour? BTW I have a nice little C240 in the garage as a loner, kind of a nice little car! but still not a diesel.

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
"Sir, we can't find any fault codes on your car so therefore we can not find anything wrong with it, it will be ready for you to pick up in a few mins."

I'm livid!
These guys at the dealer drove with me and agrees that there is a problem, and then tell me that there is nothing wrong?
Yeah right!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Viesel, it's HAMMER TIME!

(while DTCs are a powerful tool, they sure don't tell the whole story)

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
Oh I know and I have already been on the phone with MBUSA and the Lemon Law papers go out tomorrow morning!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Kick BUTT, man. You've be far too patient and now they figure they'll mold you and fold you like Gumby.

DROP THE HAMMER !
Legal action grabs their attention real quik!

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
I am usually a really nice guy up until I blow my fuse, then look out! I can be a F*&%ing A$$hole and I can cause some real stink, but I will take the proper steps by the Florida Lemon law and see what happens.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mr. Nice Guy goes ballistic inside MBz of Tampa showroom... news at 11 !

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"Sir, we can't find any fault codes on your car so therefore we can not find anything wrong with it, it will be ready for you to pick up in a few mins."

I'm livid!
These guys at the dealer drove with me and agrees that there is a problem, and then tell me that there is nothing wrong?
Yeah right!
Oh I know and I have already been on the phone with MBUSA and the Lemon Law papers go out tomorrow morning!!

Now you're talking turkey!

They have messed with you far to long IMHO, and that finally insult was the "straw that broke the camels back" so to speak! I can't imagine how any intelligent person could tell you that when they know that there definitely is a problem? So they are in effect actually saying:

'We cannot be bothered any longer with your problem, so come and get it! Whoa baby.

It's a good thing you weren't face to face when they said that!

We all wish you the best of luck, and are very interested in your outcome to be sure.

Will you now remove all your modifications so as to be prepared to return 'El Lemon'?

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
My day at the dealer could not get any worse. We took it out for a test drive after hooking up the so call Vag-Com of Mercedes (MB-Com) or what ever it is and went for a test to log the results. As we were driving on the back roads behind the dealer we came across 3 pot holes that not even one of them could be missed unless you stop and turn around and go back the other way. These were so bad that you could not even inch over them without pinching a tire if you even tried.
Here is the results of the test drive. Both right wheels

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle

I'm livid!
Yeah right!
This is just further evidence of the fact that there are fewer and fewer mechanics out there and more and more parts-changers. Having your "mechanic's" diagnostics skill relying on what the computer says is absurd, especially at the labor rates these days. Using a scanner as an aid is one thing, living and dying by it is another. Substituting a silicon-based brain for a carbon-based one is no improvement.

Jeez...

Mark

Oh yeah - end of rant.

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
Its just interesting that they had my car towed in and just walked away from it. They told me to go get my others wheels and tires and replace the two damaged ones, and take the car home. I had to change them myself in my nice clothes, behind their shop. Although a mechanic seen me and felt sorry and brought out a floor jack for me to use.
I asked if they are going to cover the damage and they have already started the run around, (I dont have authority you have to go to xyz and talk with him,) and so on.
I cant even express how fumed I am today.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
So much for getting treated better at a luxury car place, although I will say I got pretty well when I had an Acura. It sounds like a bad dream.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its just interesting that they had my car towed in and just walked away from it. They told me to go get my others wheels and tires and replace the two damaged ones, and take the car home. I had to change them myself in my nice clothes, behind their shop. Although a mechanic seen me and felt sorry and brought out a floor jack for me to use.
I asked if they are going to cover the damage and they have already started the run around, (I dont have authority you have to go to xyz and talk with him,) and so on.
I cant even express how fumed I am today.

Sorry to hear of your further misfortunes! Seems like when it rains, it pours!

One thing I wonder; Who was behind the wheel? In other words, if they were driving, it has to be their baby, and not yours. Make them pay for replacememnts. 'Course they will try and say that because of the extreme low profile tires, they are not responsible.

If not and you were driving, perhaps Florida has a similar reimbursement set up to California's whereby you can get paid for your damaged wheels. It would appear to me that neither one can be repaired.

It was at their request that the test proceedure was being done regardless of who was operating the vehicle, wasn't it? The dealer has (or should have) insurance to cover this! Make 'em pay!

Later, when I showed my post to the boss (S O ), she said that you should have left it there and had them repair it to the condition it was in prior to the test-drive. I'm inclined to be in agreement!

She also pointed out that they authorized the tow-in, so right there, aren't they accepting responsibility?

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
The dealer insisted on me coming in and taking them out to do the test drive. I refused many times and told them I already have test driven with them numerous times,until MB corporate in NJ called me yesterday and told me to just go in and drive with them again. I told them this will be the last time I will go in to show them again what is happening with the car. So when I got there this morning they insisted on me driving while they watch the computer. Go here, turn there, go down this street, keep it in third, and punch it, turn here, and go back, and floor it, just over the slight hill was 3 massive pot holes. Yes I was driving and doing exactly what they wated me to do! I feel if I didnt have to go in again and show them what was wrong then all this would never have happend. These roads in that area are roads that the airport will be taking over in the future, so the city has not done any work on for ages. They are really bad. I blame the dealer, I did what they said.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Since you were, in fact, doing a test drive under their direct direction and at their request, I'm sure that their insurance would have to cover it. After all, you wouldn't have even been on those roads in that area if it were not for their direction, would you?
They knew the conditions of those roads 'cause they test-drive there all the time, and you don't!

Stick to your guns here, and I think you'll prevail. There was a service order ticket on your car during that time, wasn't there?

Try to forget it for tonight, and get some rest. Things will be better tomorrow!

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI

Since you were, in fact, doing a test drive under their direct direction and at their request, I'm sure that their insurance would have to cover it. After all, you wouldn't have even been on those roads in that area if it were not for their direction, would you?
They knew the conditions of those roads 'cause they test-drive there all the time, and you don't!

Stick to your guns here, and I think you'll prevail. There was a service order ticket on your car during that time, wasn't there?

Try to forget it for tonight, and get some rest. Things will be better tomorrow!

EXACTLY

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
Bill,

This is bull$hit. You had to change your OWN tires? ***? You have been WAY too nice with these people. Have your lawyer give them a call. It is time that you sue MB USA, and that dealer for your loss. The damage to your car is completely their fault. Their reaction to their situation is BEYOND REPROACH. DO NOT put up with it. Bring the car back, put a large sign on it that says "My car is a lemon" and leave it there until they resolve the situation to your satisfaction. Also, make sure you visit the dealership and get vocal at the times when people are looking at cars.

As a side note, the best way to test and see how good a dealer really is is by walking into their service dept. on a weekday morning!!