Experience with local tuners?

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
Okay, so my 2013 Jetta TDI is around 53,000 miles and I've been seduced by all the praise of Malone tunes (the 2.0) with exhaust "modifications."

However, my local guru would do the Malone 2.0 tune with modifications for around $2200.

Now, I found another local guru (guy worked for for VW dealership for 12 years before starting his own independent shop in 2002) who quoted me a price of $750 and buy my own Rawtek/Buzzken parts.

The guru uses a tuner that is local to me (Greensboro, NC) and has a good reputation for his tunes. Okay, he is Ian from Reflect Tuning. (Mods please delete if I've given up too much specificity...)

Anyway, my question: what are your opinions about "local" tuners versus the "big boys" like Malone or APR?

I mean, Hewlett Packard and Apple started in someone's garage! What's your thoughts?

Paulus

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
Why go with a local tuner? I'm sure they don't have a DSG tune which you are going to need if you want more than stock torque output.

I'd go with Malone

$550 for stage 2 tune
$500 for DSG tune
$500 for Buzzken down/mid pipe

Depending on your wrenching skills, it could all be done in your garage for under $1600. If not, factor installation cost. Stokes VW is a Malone dealer in Charleston.

BTW, what's a local guru?

Last edited:

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
You should stay with some one that do,s mostly TDI tuning from this group.
Call around there are bunch of car shows coming up many tuners from the group travel to shows so I would give each a call or email .