B5 AFN 240mm Clutch Ideas

ketchup

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat
ok I've managed to get the parts needed and have found a shop confident to do the work. Should be ready in a few days

ketchup

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat
Ok I have news, well recycled news as this is a well known mod but I'll share anyways.

Sachs Pressure Plate - 3082 919 001
LUK Clutch Plate - 059 141 031 M... Is it dodgy mixing brands? IDK

Will Hopefully be installing it next week sometime.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Excellent :) What did it cost to get the flywheel modified?

Out of interest, I installed this flywheel with stock clutch in one of my A4s the other day. No chatter from the gearbox, a slight harshness at 1900rpm, and a little <1500, and it feels a bit more lively on the throttle in neutral compared to the DMF, but otherwise barely any difference. I'll probably get this mod done to a spare fw in due course :)

ketchup

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat
It cost £100+vat including a skim and balancing, which are £40 each usually so you could say £20+vat?

The clutch and bits cost £192 so a total of £312.

Something I noticed is that the S2 Pressure plate is HEAVY, so I took some weights.

Flywheel- 8.2kgs (skimmed/balanced)
Pressure Plate- 6.4kgs
Clutch- Plate 1.6kgs
TOTAL- 16.2kgs

Last edited:

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
Congratulations.
That plate is not from S2, is for a 2.5V6 TDI DMF. I'm curious how it wil work. It's nice that it has double springs. Looks like my AVF disk but with double springs.

ketchup

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat
Thanks, it's listed to fit V6 TDI 4.2 V8 2.7 3.0. and just £40. I found the INFO on a petrol Audi site, pretty much any sprung hub 240/23 longitudinal clutch plate is likely to work. This helped to drive down the price.

Unfortunately I'm a LONG way from my power goal realistically about 2-3 years so I'm not going to be able to give a proper review of what this clutch combo can achieve.

ketchup

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat
I'm about 200miles in on this Clutch and flywheel. Peddle feels no different, I have chatter when ever off the clutch (windows need to be down to notice) and I get some drone below 2k rpm if I labour it too hard. besides this all is well.

I am not put off by the noise as long as it remains just a noise, If/when things start falling apart I may need to have a re-think.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Good stuff. I put a stock 1Z SMF in one of my A4s to see what it did - that chatters a little too. I'm not worried about it :) That drones a little <2000rpm too compared to the other one with the DMF. I'll be doing the S2 setup next so I can start tuning it a bit.

FRITS91

TDI
Passat B3 TDI 4motion, golf/rabbit mk1 4motion
Hello, I am now pick up clutch for my car . I am counting on 400-450 nm. I want just as well stay in the 02C gearbox (syncro). motor AFN. help in the selection.
flywheel 1z (G3 / B4)
yet I look to the disc 240mm from Audi s2 / 100 c4 tdi.
But on the basket still I think ...
1. Audi s2 / s4 / s6
2. 2.5 TDI v6
3. 2.7 / 3.0 TDI A6 C6
please advise

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Frits: This thread is about clutches for 01_ longitudinal transmissions (B5>) whereas the 02_ is transverse and completely different. The S2 / 2.5 V6 solution discussed here does not apply as the flywheel and clutch is different.

Simple solution with the G3/B4 1Z flywheel is the Sachs VR6 clutch :)

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
I'm keen to hear the results!
My AFN has the 228mm SRE with DMF and fine for 450 I'm
Sure, but is like a reliable clutch capable of 550nm which is still drive able.
So no one is simply putting the 240mm AVF SRE clutch on?
Too expensive? That must be the best option?

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
The AVF DMF+clutch requires the AVF starter which may not have enough space for the AC compressor.

numbnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 golf
Was that smf? Not too keen on a smf for my passat after the noisy one I have in my mk2 golf. I guess the dmf are limited though

numbnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 golf
Have you got a link to the part you bought? Looked in the vendors section but cannot find Whitbreads product list

Thanks

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
its impressive how the 5spd box is happy with over 600Nm at the wheels when the stock (110bhp) engine is about 230Nm at the crank!

So basically three times the torque.

Jon, thats a 228mm SMF still? How is the pedal feel?

Last edited:

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
A common and cheap SMF (as already mentioned) is the early Passat/Audi B5 TDI SMF (before they went DMF) so works with standard 5spd starter, but you can just about get a 240mm friction disc on it by re-drilling holes for the dowels (at a more outboard position) to take the 240mm Audi S2 pressure plate, I believe.

A mate of mine is currently doing that on his AFN A4 B5 Quattro.

Last edited:

ivohi

TDI
AVG B5
Put 240mm S2 clutch on my 00' passat afn with gtb2056 and 0.280 nozzles.
It is slipping relatively easy from third gear and up. It is not very much better than my old stock 5speed dmf clutch. Any thoughts? Is there something I have done wrong or am I already beyond this clutch limit? SRE will help me out? :D