1998 jetta 220k 5speed

mods:
Arp studs
pp764
straight pipe
maf less tune with 3bar mk4 sensor
gt2052 wastegated
no egr
manual boost controller at 29-30# at the track. 25# on street.

full weight car minus spare wheel and tire
stock wheels and tires(6 year old snow tires on 20psi)

1/8th mile

10.3 @ 70mph
60ft 2.4

i left the go pro at home this time but that night i got 2 videos just of the engine and what its like on the street

https://youtu.be/nXMOS9oy4vU

https://youtu.be/2Z6FMIupGhI

not a bad turbo. not to laggy but its no gt15 either.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I've done 10.787 on the 1/8 mile 12 years ago on a much heavier B4 Passat, smaller injectors and dead stock turbo...

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I ran a 5.95 1/8th years ago - on my GSXR with nitrous :p

I always wanted to make a few passes on my hot rod Jetta TDI but our track closed in KC before I got around to it :(

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
Put o2 wide band sensor and check if you are too lean or not.
If the chip are done correctly, the air/fuel ratio keep same at 25psi and 30psi.
Street, between 16:1 to 18:1 air/fuel is pretty good for power with low smoke.
Drag, between 14:1 to 15:1... is possible to have small power gain with 13:1-13.5:1 but with lot of smoke.
Over 18:1, no smoke but less power, if you have smoke, the trouble in injection system.
Under 15:1, to much smoke for daily with Bosch VE pump, is possible to run 15:1 with not too much smoke on common rail injection because better atomisation and injection control.

Original intercooler is not the best choice for high pressure setup like you.

Dieseleux

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Put o2 wide band sensor and check if you are too lean or not.
If the chip are done correctly, the air/fuel ratio keep same at 25psi and 30psi.
Street, between 16:1 to 18:1 air/fuel is pretty good for power with low smoke.
Drag, between 14:1 to 15:1... is possible to have small power gain with 13:1-13.5:1 but with lot of smoke.
Over 18:1, no smoke but less power, if you have smoke, the trouble in injection system.
Under 15:1, to much smoke for daily with Bosch VE pump, is possible to run 15:1 with not too much smoke on common rail injection because better atomisation and injection control.

Original intercooler is not the best choice for high pressure setup like you.

Dieseleux
Will do I'll buy one that logs. I could use help on finding a rpm signal tho

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
rpm signal? for the AFR gauge? you don't need that...nor one that logs...

i was thinking of using it to capture information for a tune. im used to going to the dyno for a tune when something is changed. not sure how the chip tuning can be 99% correct, surely there is a margin of error seeing as all setups are not equal. any how a $160 wideband with bung bought.

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Stock intake manifold? Curious how much of a difference the PD130 makes, if you happen to try it. I cut my spare in half so I cannot check...
you know the intake has never been off the engine and has had a egr operating for the last 200k miles.. so much to investigate!

i see that the pd130 is a slight gain. and the pd150 is a better mod. seeing as mine is infact plugged up ill look for a pd130 or pd150 thats already clean and swap it out.

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Darn! I had high hopes for the GT-2052! Here are my best times with a K03/K04 hybrid, PP502 injectors, an RC tune, a CAI that I eventually removed, and (I think) a straight pipe:

Car #1801

AThreeTDI ran that day, too. His car was identical to mine except for having a stock air filter, Malone tune and (definitely) a straight pipe:

I'm curious to see if the GT-2052 can pull a higher trap speed in the full 1/4-mile. Any chance of you getting the car on the 1/4 mile?

Scott

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
the closest 1/4 mile is quite a far drive. the 8th is where i am every thursday. and yeah i would like to try better tires and launch harder. also stock trans and i feather it for minimal wheel spin in first. who knows maybe its a tired motor.. has tons of blow by,unless oil all threw the intercooler is normal.

malone tune did feel stronger on the gt15. limp mod engaged with the gt2052 on the malone tune but still felt strong.

Last edited:

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1990 Corrado G60 (AHU soon)
from what i understand pd130 and pd150intake are the same. different side for intake port direction.
A plugged up stock intake will make a big difference.
Oil in intercooler is normal(ish).

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Scott, don't be bummed by his results, stock head w manifold that has never been off. pathetic if you are looking for power. Needs to be ported these things are anemic stock! Not to mention he's running stock boost plumbing and intercooler. Tuned for a GT15 still.
Also don't forget, there are a lot of variations like driving ability, setup, and tires.

I wouldn't call these credible results

Last edited:

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Scott, don't be bummed by his results, stock head w manifold that has never been off. pathetic if you are looking for power. Needs to be ported these things are anemic stock! Not to mention he's running stock boost plumbing and intercooler. Tuned for a GT15 still.
Also don't forget, there are a lot of variations like driving ability, setup, and tires.

I wouldn't call these credible results
those results are with mike @ tdtunings chipset for my setup. that being
1998 AHU
MBC
FMIC
GT2052
pp764
straight pipe
arp studs

setup being very stock suspension besides new control arm bushings,ball joints, 1 year old kyb g2 struts, brakes were checked for proper operation(no dragging pads)

Tires were not the greatests choice. but i never spun on the strip besides to clean the tire outside the burnout box. aired down to 20psi for a larger contact patch and aired the back up to 50 for less. all excess weight was removed(spare,jack,floor mats,rear seats thats it)

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I focused mostly on your trap speeds. ET is an indicator of driver skill and initial hook-up. The trap speed between runs is usually very close unless the driver REALLY messed up in the first 60-ft... REALLY messed up. ;) I don't put a lot of stock in the "trap speed equals XXX horsepower" models for our cars. But comparing the trap speeds of similar cars is a great way to compare relative horsepower. My consistent 71-mph traps indicate that I'm making similar or marginally-more power than your 2052 car.

AThreeTDI's 74.9-mph trap indicates that he's making more power than me. My ride-along in his car showed me had he significantly more power than me. Even with me as a passenger, he still turned-in a faster ET and trap speed! I was hoping the 2052 would replicate that.

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
well i bought the pd130 intake and i plan to clean the intake ports of the head when it is installed. the plenum probably has some build up seeing as no one has touched it.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
You need more boost and more fuel.

Unless that's all that sucker can do? 17/22's can do more boos than that for sure

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
You need more boost and more fuel.

Unless that's all that sucker can do? 17/22's can do more boos than that for sure

not sure if its something with the setup or possibly the tune but We shall see what the pd130 intake does and some cleaning of carbon on the intake ports of the head.

I see there are may methods of cleaning lol

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1990 Corrado G60 (AHU soon)
just be sure that the intake port you are cleaning has the valve closed. Then rotate engine as you go to other intake ports to make sure the valve is also closed.
Seems like a simple concept, but you know how people are...

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
I used a 3/8th size cable. I used about a foot, cut off 1-1/2 inch of the sheathing and frayed the end. The other end went into an electric drill. Worked great but not ideal.

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Ran again. 9.8 @ 70mph iirc

Edit: 71.2mph lol
I can only get 20 psi on this setup tho. Wastegate is secured to sTay closed. Buy I can't even over boost. Also added inline e pump

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Slip.jpg[/IMG]

AThreeTDI ran that day, too. His car was identical to mine except for having a stock air filter, KERMA tune and (definitely) a straight pipe:
There, fixed it for ya.