Front Bumper Damage

HawkGuy

TDI
2006.5 MkV BRM Jetta TDI SE
Hit a Pheasant this morning on my way to work and now I get to replace my front bumper. Anybody have recommendations for parts? TIA

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hit a Pheasant this morning on my way to work and now I get to replace my front bumper. Anybody have recommendations for parts? TIA
I've had good luck with ebay prepainted bumpers. More than half the price of taking it to the bodyshop.

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I've had good luck with ebay prepainted bumpers. More than half the price of taking it to the bodyshop.
I just ordered one from these guys:

https://paintapart.com/search?q=tag:2006+vendor:Volkswagen+tag:Jetta

They do take quite a while to get the part to you. Like 5 weeks.
I ordered a fender from them. The paint match and finish is excellent. So was the fit, even though they are not actual OEM parts.
Of course my car is garaged so the old paint on the rest of the car is not really faded. If yours is faded, matching might be an issue.

I can let you know how the bumper looks when I get it. I don't expect it until some time in January though.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
If you have OEM paint, look at the local boneyard for same or near the same year. I have had great luck matching paint on these cars with wrecking yard parts. The issue you will have is that most boneyards are a stroke for bumper covers. Add to that most crashes are front end damage. I have found decent deals on fleabay. You might get lucky.

You can get a new primed CAPA approved for around 120.00 or so and a non CAPA for around 80 or so. If you are going to squirt your own paint, materials would ball park around 100 or so. So you can weigh that against what they are charging for a painted part. I always get nervous on a new painted paint, if they dont blend the surrounding parts, you sometimes get a shade variation. That is due to your car, assuming its the original paint, has been in the weather for 11 years. If others have had luck with this supplier, that helps in your decision process.

How bad is your bumper? Being that these bumpers are PP, they are easy to plastic weld. You can fix fairly easy and just have a body shop or a dent guy do a spot blend.

Last edited:

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
5 weeks? Damn. Mine took a week.
Yea, its kind of a long lead time. I'm pretty sure they don't apply the paint to the parts until they receive an order. And they may not even stock the parts and have to order them.

Luckily for me, I am not in a big rush. At least the shipping is free.