Rawtek Jetta TDI (11-13) DPF & EGR Delete Performance Exhaust Kit and Malone ECM Upgr

JustinJ

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
Rawtek Jetta TDI (11-13) DPF & EGR Delete Performance Exhaust Kit and Malone ECM Upgr

Anyone have any good experience or bad experience with Rawtek Jetta TDI (11-13) DPF & EGR Delete Performance Exhaust Kit and Malone ECM Upgrade - VW Jetta TDI (2011-2013) DPF & EGR Delete?

My 2013 VW Jetta TDI engine light came on with code p0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient. The dealer says the Diesel Particulate Filter failed and took out the EGR filter. It is going to cost $3000 to replace the DPF and EGR. The above option is around $2000 and fixes the problem of the EGR, DPF, and the dreaded intercooler icing problem especially here in Canada.

Thanks for your reply.

Justin

I am from Canada
But Remember:
These modifications are a violation of US federal emissions regulations
Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in said messages
It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
If you do the above delete you will have a check engine light and will not pass the readiness test for a emission test in most States.
I now have a new EGR filter design that will not set a Po401 for a long long time. We should call it a test kit here. Just contact me if you wish to test one.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You will not have a check engine light with the malone tune. You probably wouldn't pass a readiness test though, depending on that states parameters.

CNGVW

TDI
You will not have a check engine light with the malone tune. You probably wouldn't pass a readiness test though, depending on that states parameters.
As many do not know most tuners will just take out the code list file from the ECM. So the the check engine light will stay out. But I have asked this many times How many readiness are not set?? with the the delete ???

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure how many readiness won't show. I'll check later with my bosch scan tool. In regards to the OP's query the rawtek exhaust is absolutely top notch (quality 304 SS, beautiful welds). I got a 409 SS downpipe, and would not recommend that slightly cheaper route to anyone. The 409 is garbage compared to 304.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My scan showed 5 readiness monitors complete , and 2 incomplete. The 2 incomplete were showing as htd cat, and O2 sensor.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Not sure how many readiness won't show. I'll check later with my bosch scan tool. In regards to the OP's query the rawtek exhaust is absolutely top notch (quality 304 SS, beautiful welds). I got a 409 SS downpipe, and would not recommend that slightly cheaper route to anyone. The 409 is garbage compared to 304.
409 is hardly garbage. It will surface rust but will never perforate(take a very long time anyway).

CNGVW

TDI
My scan showed 5 readiness monitors complete , and 2 incomplete. The 2 incomplete were showing as htd cat, and O2 sensor.
Thank you Most state that do a OBD2 test will let you go with 1 monitor not done. 2 is a failed sticker or the big rejection . As I said the tune has the code list removed so it will not turn on the check engine light.

The trick is to get one of those readiness to pass??

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
409 is hardly garbage. It will surface rust but will never perforate(take a very long time anyway).
A lot of the imported 409 is garbage. But so is a lot of imported 304. Good 409 will generally just surface rust. The 409 system on my plow truck rotted through in 5 or 6 years. Plow trucks do tend to see the harshest conditions. Anyhow, even surface rust is cosmetically unappealing. 304 is better. Period.

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
JustinJ, I just ordered one for my JSW. I'll get back to you with my impressions once it arrives but from all I've read and heard, it's a fine product.
Where I am in Ontario, there is no emissions testing to be done so no worries there for me.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
If you do the above delete you will have a check engine light and will not pass the readiness test for a emission test in most States.
I now have a new EGR filter design that will not set a Po401 for a long long time. We should call it a test kit here. Just contact me if you wish to test one.
Wow! I was talking about just such an invention in the MKVI forum... I said I wish someone could invent something... I have sooting on my exhaust but have not tripped the code yet.

Once I trip the code, I would love to buy it!

Do you mind sharing what the concept is?

Thx

BuzzKen

TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D

With a tune there will be no engine light.

I DO NOT advise 'bypassing' the egr filter canister long term with no other changes. This is a bad bad bad bad idea for many reasons.

CNGVW

TDI
As I said most tuners limit the code list to keep off the check engine light.
But as I have learned some tuners can get the car to pass all but one monitor then flash a overlay tune on to the stock one. This keeps the readiness at one for a sticker test .But if you power down the car it will all was have 2 monitors not set a failed sticker here in most OBD test states.
The car must go back to the tuner for a re-tune to fix it??

For My EGR filter it is not a bypass filter it is a working EGR filter test kit that has been working on a hand full of cars with known cracked DPFs this summer and no P0401 code or check engine light!!

With a tune there will be no engine light.
I DO NOT advise 'bypassing' the egr filter canister long term with no other changes. This is a bad bad bad bad idea for many reasons.

BuzzKen

TDI
So how does it filter all the soot out and not plug up? Seems to defy physics. Does it regen itself?

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
My only fear is your still passing the soot... what happens to the soot that goes into the cat that sits after the DPF... also, what happens to soot that the filter doesn't trap... does it crud up the EGR?

I'm excited that someone is working on a fix!

BuzzKen

TDI
My only fear is your still passing the soot... what happens to the soot that goes into the cat that sits after the DPF... also, what happens to soot that the filter doesn't trap... does it crud up the EGR?

I'm excited that someone is working on a fix!

The rear cats will clog. Any soot let past the egr filter will clog the intercooler, boost pipes and intake.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Anyone have any good experience or bad experience with Rawtek Jetta TDI (11-13) DPF & EGR Delete Performance Exhaust Kit and Malone ECM Upgrade - VW Jetta TDI (2011-2013) DPF & EGR Delete?
My 2013 VW Jetta TDI engine light came on with code p0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient. The dealer says the Diesel Particulate Filter failed and took out the EGR filter. It is going to cost $3000 to replace the DPF and EGR. The above option is around $2000 and fixes the problem of the EGR, DPF, and the dreaded intercooler icing problem especially here in Canada.
Thanks for your reply.
Justin
I am from Canada
But Remember:
These modifications are a violation of US federal emissions regulations
Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in said messages
It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions
Justin - I don't follow your math.

Rawtek pipe: $825
Malone Tune: $499
Parts: $1324

Replacement DPF unit with CAT: $1372 - 200 core. - $1172
EGR Filter: $245.
Parts: $1417

That is a $93 difference. I fully acknowledge that I am dealing with US pricing in US dollars and things may be different in Canada, but it can't be $1000 different.

To DPF or not to DPF is not an economics choice, the two pathways are pretty much a wash. It is a decision about your feelings on emissions regulations, following the law and your tolerance for quirks and troubleshooting that comes with aftermarket emissions deletes.

(Please note that I am not implying any judgement on these things.)

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
To DPF or not to DPF is not an economics choice, the two pathways are pretty much a wash. It is a decision about your feelings on emissions regulations, following the law and your tolerance for quirks and troubleshooting that comes with aftermarket emissions deletes.
Man you really hit the nail on the head with that one. I've been sayin' that for years. many of the urban myths about DPF replacements that are propagated on this site are usually backed up by some grossly over estimated replacement cost when the reality is they just think that DPF removal is cool and use that as a justification. ;) It seems to be viewed as those that feel the emission controls should be in place are just a bunch of hippy tree huggers and all the real TDI enthusiasts are in another camp, clean air and laws be damned. I listened to all that nonsense back in the 70's when unleaded fuel and catalytic converters were mandated.

Last edited:

CNGVW

TDI
You make a good point cevans
Hear is a invoice for a Rawtek for a new customer
1x Jetta TDI (09-10) DPF & EGR Delete Performance Exhaust Kit - Resonator for $1,430.00 USD each
Subtotal : $1,430.00 USD
Shipping : $147.09 USD
Total : $1,577.09 USD

It still needs a tune and a upgraded turbo. And labor costs.
On the emissions side for a sticker it could turn in to a lot of work to fake it through.
Still not legal in the USA.
That is why I build the EGR filter test kit to hold off the P0401 to hold back there need to fix or delete for bit.

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
So spend the money and fix it for good with a delete or replace and deal with the same issue down the road if you own the car long enough.

Never mind the extra power mpg and no Ic icing in the winter

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
if you own the car long enough.
How long is long enough? before you just want something newer that will inevitably have many newer and more desirable features than your fixed forever emissions deleted car. There are also going to be other expensive repairs uncured along the way besides what you gave said cure for. We live in a world of consumption and if everything lasts forever there will be nothing new to consume How long do you live in an old house before you start remodeling because stuff is inefficient, dated or just plain tired of?

Last edited:

Jim28269

TDI
2012 MK6 Jetta TDI Premium, DSG in Reflect Silver with 135,000 miles on the odometer
To the point of cost on a DPF replacement; my local Dealer in Charlotte, NC - quoted me $3,000 for replacement with labor sir that made my decision to go with the Buzzken system, EGR, DPF and Cat deletes plus the Stage 2 tune as here in North Carolina, USA - Diesels are only subject to a safety inspection and with 130,000 miles on 2012 Jetta MK6 - it will never be back to a VW Dealer again except maybe to show off how quick it is now and the great sound less all the restrictions not to mention the increase in fuel economy.
And yes, I am very old school in many ways; I had a 1981 Rabbit Diesel which I ran up 100,000 miles in Michigan before selling it and then I had a 1985 Jetta Diesel which I ran for 300,000 miles before trading it.
Love my Diesels but my old all also delivered 55+ miles to gallon with no issues or service work others than Oil changes every 3000 miles in those days.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
To the point of cost on a DPF replacement; my local Dealer in Charlotte, NC - quoted me $3,000 for replacement with labor sir that made my decision to go with the Buzzken system, EGR, DPF and Cat deletes plus the Stage 2 tune as here in North Carolina, USA - Diesels are only subject to a safety inspection and with 130,000 miles on 2012 Jetta MK6 - it will never be back to a VW Dealer again except maybe to show off how quick it is now and the great sound less all the restrictions not to mention the increase in fuel economy.
And yes, I am very old school in many ways; I had a 1981 Rabbit Diesel which I ran up 100,000 miles in Michigan before selling it and then I had a 1985 Jetta Diesel which I ran for 300,000 miles before trading it.
Love my Diesels but my old all also delivered 55+ miles to gallon with no issues or service work others than Oil changes every 3000 miles in those days.
Read post # 21. You told us how much the dealer wanted what did you pay for the Buzzken/Malone set up? Complete with installation labor. What would your installer have charged you to replace the DPF?

Last edited:

Jim28269

TDI
2012 MK6 Jetta TDI Premium, DSG in Reflect Silver with 135,000 miles on the odometer
I had asked the dealer about the repair costs and possible warranty coverage and the answer was - "sorry, not at 4 years old with 130,000 miles"; so that determination helped justify the cost of Buzzken setup-up and Malone tune installed at $2,417.00.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yikes, I paid around $1750 for downpipe/midpipe, tune, and installation labor. And that install labor included replacing the turbo.

Jim28269

TDI
Yikes, I paid around $1750 for downpipe/midpipe, tune, and installation labor. And that install labor included replacing the turbo.
You absolutely got a great deal on your conversion then - they treat you better in Maine ��

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I finally have installed the Rawtek exhaust (with resonator) on my '12 wagon. Malone Stage 2. It is a different car. Haven't drove it enough yet to get a good mileage count, but the performance difference is amazing!! Also, no more stumbles and hesitations in the throttle, all smooth response! I wish I had done it a long time ago! (my exhaust flap had seized, and although there has since been a SB about it, i was told back then i'd have to pay to replace...so off with it all!!)