New 2014 Delivered to replace Lemon 2013 :)

JamesPSav1

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Well VW has come through. My saga with my 13' SEL that blew its fuel pump twice in 10K is over. I now have a brand new 14' SEL with 27 miles on it. First impression is the radio is a touch faster than the old. Nav is definitely more responsive. And after the poor black car was torn apart twice I had forgotten how quiet these diesels truly are. That was my biggest reason for pushing for a replacement of the car. I paid for a new car built by man and machine on a nice clean assembly line. Nice and Tight but after the entire fuel system was replaced twice it had developed some very strange noises and was noticeably louder. The new car is a joy as the old one was when it was on the road. I highly recommend this car to anyone that asks me even after the issues. Just thought I would update all from my previous ranting post back in February.

AreaMan

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Which fuel pump, the electric pump under the rear seat or the HPFP? I wouldn't have thought that replacing the electric pump would be that invasive, but it must be more involved than it looks.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Hope your new car provides you with many trouble free miles! :)

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
A favor please. Have a look at my post about 2013/2014 differences. Be very objective and honest when you answer as it's entirely possible that I'm way off base.

I believe that you'll find the 2014 virtually identical to the 2013 as far as your overall driving experience. Just try to note the subtle things that seem to make the car different. Thanks in advance.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Yes, Your SEL probably has a late K or L model RNS-510. It has an SSD HDD that makes it a little snappier and might even be running the newest 5374 Firmware.

shelbydog25

TDI
2012 DSG Passat SE
Did you have to come out of pocket for pricing difference? or was the Lemon trade even, 2013 for a 2014. Any pushback from VW on the trade? just curious. We had a great experience with VW when the wife destroyed her Jetta TDI with gasoline instead of diesel.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Did you have to come out of pocket for pricing difference? or was the Lemon trade even, 2013 for a 2014. Any pushback from VW on the trade? just curious. We had a great experience with VW when the wife destroyed her Jetta TDI with gasoline instead of diesel.
WHAT!! You had a great experience with VW even though it was your fault! Please post your experience on every forum listed here. No one will believe you, since we all know dealers and VW are lying thieves.

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
It let go and sprayed shrapnel throughout the system.
What happened when the fuel pump died? I was driving my wife's '12 this weekend and it died about 1 minute after startup while idling at a light. It felt like it ran out of fuel to me and i recall a slight clatter as it died. Im concerned when you said it sprayed metal shrapnel through the engine.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
HPFP failure in the Passat is very rare. It, however, is possible just as it's possible for any mechanical device to fail.

Two failures? I'd place money that the second failure was the result of the first. Somewhere somebody took a shortcut and didn't eliminate all contamination. It happens even though it shouldn't.

Shrapnel? More like metal shavings. Fuel is pumped out of the tank by a low pressure pump (or pumps depending upon design) and routed to the HPFP. The HPFP delivers fuel to the common rail which supplies the injectors. Excess fuel warmed by pressurization and circulation through various engine components is returned to the fuel cell. The effect of this circuit serves to cool engine components, lubricate the HPFP, and warm cold fuel in the cell.

When the HPFP fails the immediate result is usually a load of metal shavings being introduced into the fuel system. This is why we so highly suggest that the fuel filter should be carefully examined periodically as any sign of metal should serve as a warning of impending failure. (No glitter allowed.)

In any case a HPFP failure will shed metal throughout the fuel system. For this reason the entire system must be either replaced or flushed so that no trace of metal remains. Again, I suspect that your second failure was caused by incomplete cleaning after the first failure.

Slightly off subject but turbos are worth mentioning here. Depending upon the nature of a turbo failure there are certain indications and specific damage caused to the engine and exhaust system.

A failure on the compressor side has the potential of introducing metal and engine oil into the intake side. The first component affected is the intercooler, though any sensors along the path will also be contaminated. Oil in any significant quantity will begin to fuel the engine. This can cause a runaway condition as the engine will actually begin to feed upon itself. In the unlikely event that metal shards pass through the system into the engine, this just adds to the situation.

A failure on the hot or turbine side of the turbo will contaminate everything downstream. The primary victim will be the DPF as it will be overwhelmed by oil smoke. Obviously, if the turbo is "shedding its feathers" on this side of things, then there will be metal contamination as well. Worse yet it's possible to introduce foreign materials into the induction system through the EGR circuit. And in both cases there's the worry about blockage of oil lines servicing the turbo and oil contamination. This is why a $2000 turbo failure can easily cause a repair bill to top $7000.

Just to be clear both types of failure are catastrophic. To be just as clear I have to somewhat suspect that those of us who have experienced repeated failures are victims of an incomplete repair the first time around.

I cringe when an owner shares that his or her dealer replaced a turbo. Was it just the turbo? Was there no oil leakage or metallic contamination? If there isn't a 100% certainty that neither be the case, then a new turbo will merely mask for a time what will become another major problem. Neither HPFP or turbo failure is something that can be addressed by replacement of just one component. It's just not that simple.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
VW replacing your traumatized 2013 with a brand new 2014 would seem a textbook example of corporate "stepping up to the plate"...............

You have made this sailor's day, amigo.

ez

shelbydog25

TDI
2012 DSG Passat SE
WHAT!! You had a great experience with VW even though it was your fault! Please post your experience on every forum listed here. No one will believe you, since we all know dealers and VW are lying thieves.

LOL I get the sarcasm. strange but TRUE! fuel system destroyed by wifey... VW. picked up the tab 8-10K. :D they just picked up a former Honda fan. just sayin

Last edited:

JamesPSav1

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
It was an even swap...

The credit union was very happy I am sure. They traded me a 2014 for a 2013. No money down. So now my payoff amount is 29,200.00 for a 2014. I am now starting to miss a few things. The wood dash in the black 13' was a reddish color the one in my pewter 14' is more tannish, not nearly as rich looking. I miss the black when it is wet or 5 minutes out of the shower otherwise love the new pewter. The nav system while faster is still crazy :) and I am a lemming- not a good combo. The auto temperature is a little screwy too, very sensitive to the outside temp. You would think 71 would be the same but if it is cold out I need to turn it up to 75 when it got to 65 the other day I had to drop it back to 70. Oooor it could be I am 42 going on 70 and have lost all ability to control my body heat. Still love hitting the gas hard from 15-20 mph what a kick :)