P3Cars Digital Vent Gauge - Anyone Using?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This seems odd to me. I have one in my '12 Golf and I will see over 1200 degrees in the first couple of miles as part of the warm-up cycle, and 1300+ in regen, 950 at idle during regen. I suppose it's possible that you didn't enter regen in 30 miles, but I would have thought you'd see the warm-up cycle. It's brief, so maybe you were looking at another measure. Also, at cruise (for me higher than 65) it's not uncommon to see 850-950 degrees.

We've got the Passat gauges showing up early next week: I'm going to ask P3Cars if they use the same sensor on that car as in the CBEA/CJAA. Don't see why they wouldn't.
According to his previous post, his P3 gauge is monitoring cat temps instead of pre-turbo. If you're seeing 1300F, yours is monitoring the pre-turbo gauge. It would be nice if P3 would give you the option to select which sensor you want to monitor on your gauge.

If you're monitoring cat temps, then the warmup cycle is very muted (it will slowly climb to ~800F or a bit less rather than rapidly climbing to ~1300F seen by the pre-turbo sensor).

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It would be nice if P3 would give you the option to select which sensor you want to monitor on your gauge.
I'm eagerly waiting for my Scantool.net OBDLink LX module to arrive. I will probably keep the P3Cars gauge plugged in most of the time. However, when I feel like it, I can use my Android tablet with TorquePro to monitor all 4 EGT sensors at once (among other things).

Have Fun!

Don

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Good to know. I may confirm with P3Cars just so I'm not misleading anyone. I don't know why they wouldn't be consistent.

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Under similar driving conditions of my previous post (weather, speed and miles) the peak EGT reading was 754. At idle it is consistently in the mid to low 400's.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Driving home from the supermarket just now the Golf went into regen. EGTs on the gauge jumped to 1300+, moved between 1100 and 1350 while driving at suburban speeds. When I pulled into the driveway they dropped to 750 but then boosted up to 940 or so. I left the car running while I unloaded and put away groceries. Came out about 8 minutes later and blipped the accelerator, EGTs dropped to 480. Put the car in the garage. This is why I like having a gauge (any gauge). Nice not to interrupt regen. Don't know if it'll matter over time.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Driving home from the supermarket just now the Golf went into regen. EGTs on the gauge jumped to 1300+, moved between 1100 and 1350 while driving at suburban speeds. When I pulled into the driveway they dropped to 750 but then boosted up to 940 or so. I left the car running while I unloaded and put away groceries. Came out about 8 minutes later and blipped the accelerator, EGTs dropped to 480. Put the car in the garage. This is why I like having a gauge (any gauge). Nice not to interrupt regen. Don't know if it'll matter over time.
I wish the Malone tune had a way to allow us to see when a REGEN is happening, Scangauge2 now monitors but it would be cool...

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Experienced a regen on the way to work. Peak reading at 1160. It hovered in that area and lasted approximately 10 minutes. Nice to know when these are occurring. Maybe Lokiwolf can convince the powers that be to improve on the design to read pre-turbo temps.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I am working with one of the developers from P3 to modify and test to do Pre-Turbo, and maybe a few other tweaks. Suggestions?

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I am working with one of the developers from P3 to modify and test to do Pre-Turbo, and maybe a few other tweaks. Suggestions?
No suggestions yet, but I would be happy to be able to monitor EGT's pre turbo.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I'm eagerly waiting for my Scantool.net OBDLink LX module to arrive. I will probably keep the P3Cars gauge plugged in most of the time. However, when I feel like it, I can use my Android tablet with TorquePro to monitor all 4 EGT sensors at once (among other things).

Have Fun!

Don
The scantool.net module, along with the Torque app is nice, but I am happier with the P3cars system that is unobtrusive, and yet always easy to read. It is a bit pricey, but worth it for convenience as far as I am concerned.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I haven't gotten my hands on a P3 yet, but it appears to have some buttons on the front of it. It would be nice if you could toggle between pre-turbo and one of the other EGT sensors, in addition to boost pressure. When testing boost pressure, make sure that it hits 23 PSI max at WOT and around 1800 RPMs. If it doesn't the reading isn't correct (or the car has a problem, but that would trigger a CEL).

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I haven't gotten my hands on a P3 yet, but it appears to have some buttons on the front of it. It would be nice if you could toggle between pre-turbo and one of the other EGT sensors, in addition to boost pressure. When testing boost pressure, make sure that it hits 23 PSI max at WOT and around 1800 RPMs. If it doesn't the reading isn't correct (or the car has a problem, but that would trigger a CEL).
Yes, will already do Boost. Working with them on using one of the lights to blink when EGT's exceed 1100, even when reading boost, so you know you are in a regen if you aren't driving hard.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Another tidbit I learned talking to them today is that they are a completely American company, even the circuit board is made in house at their shop in Ohio. Seem to be a real good group. Looking forward to working with them. More to come!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes, will already do Boost. Working with them on using one of the lights to blink when EGT's exceed 1100, even when reading boost, so you know you are in a regen if you aren't driving hard.
You'll want to have the lights blink on the cat temp sensor reading then, not the pre-turbo reading. Pre-turbo can easily exceed 1100 in normal driving, especially up hill. Maybe have it set at 1050 instead of 1100.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Another tidbit I learned talking to them today is that they are a completely American company, even the circuit board is made in house at their shop in Ohio. Seem to be a real good group. Looking forward to working with them. More to come!
That's good to know! I like supporting a good American company. It's also nice that their customer service department appears to be very strong.

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
That would be pretty slick. When I was in a regen I was monitoring boost and by mere coincidence hit the EGT button to see what was what.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
You'll want to have the lights blink on the cat temp sensor reading then, not the pre-turbo reading. Pre-turbo can easily exceed 1100 in normal driving, especially up hill. Maybe have it set at 1050 instead of 1100.
So if we were going to set it off Pre-Turbo, what temp would you want it to trigger off of?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Based on what I've seen via the few times I've monitored via VCDS, I'd think about 1300 pre-turbo would be a good trigger point.

By the way LokiWolf, I appreciate you taking the lead and reaching out to P3 on this! Although I expected varied responses when I started the thread, I am happy to see where it has led. So to everyone following/responding, thanks for the thoughts and input.

If anyone at P3 is reading..., thank you for taking Customer Feedback to improve the product!

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
They are great folks! I had a P3 in my Jetta Wagen when I sold it and the new owner didn't want it so I sold it ......I pestered them for several months to add a P3 cars for my Jetta Hybrid! And As most folks know Hybrid owners tend to frugal so I doubt if anymore have been sold......I love mine!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
We got the NMS ones today. On the site, vent is free until this stock runs out.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
Ok, just picked up a new P3C gauge for $300, with the vent mounted, I'm going to compare to my SG2 and see which one I like the one I don't I will be selling on here...;)

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
You've come a long way since your first post! ;)
I found out the SG2 is very slow and the P3C gauge is extremely fast at reading sensors, that's why I like this forum it can change your mind for the better sometimes we will ee, and at $300 its worth a try, any price higher for a gauge forget it...SG2 was $109.99

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
Still looks exactly like an alarm clock from the 80's so it reminds me of my childhood...:) WAKE UP *****...

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Yeah, I hear ya, it does display a little like my childhood Realistic Dual alarm clock :). Maybe that's why I like it... I loved that clock!

I agree, the site and it's members are a wealth of info.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Still looks exactly like an alarm clock from the 80's so it reminds me of my childhood...:) WAKE UP *****...
What do you want it to look like? I think it integrates fine with the other dash colors and instruments. If anything the Scan-gauge looks out of place.:p

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Which EGT sensor to use for indicating regen activity

So if we were going to set it off Pre-Turbo, what temp would you want it to trigger off of?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I wouldn't use the pre-turbo sensor to monitor regen activity or to provide an alarm to the driver. The pre-turbo sensor can read 1400F or higher during normal high-load driving without a regen (mountains or towing) and as low as 750F at idle during regeneration. In my opinion, it is a very poor indicator for regen activity, hence my recommendation to use the pre-cat sensor for that purpose.

The pre-cat sensor will real 1050-1150F 90% of the time during a regeneration event, and it is a very reliable indicator. The only time it really deviates from that range is when you're coasting in gear down a mountain for extended periods of time.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have let the car idle in regen twice. Both times EGTs in my Golf (pre-turbo) have shown around 950F. And I've not seen 1400 in driving other than during a regen. In my (admittedly limited) experience I think the pre-turbo measurement is fine, it'll just give different numbers. And I would not want an alarm or flashing light, anyway.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If P3 could do it, I would like to see the digital readout display the pre-turbo sensor's temperature, and have another light (maybe one that says "DPF") that comes on when the pre-cat sensor's reading is higher than 1000F. That would require monitoring both sensor simultaneously... not sure if they can do that.

Last edited: