VW Splash Gaurds Work Great!!!

Papa Woody

TDI
2014 Passat Tdi SEL Premium
I installed a set of the genuine VW Splash Gaurds a few days ago and I would like to report that they work great! Living in the foothills of the Rockies I see a lot of sloppy, wet, snowy roads and with a Candy White car and the tires wider than the car, the side of my car stayed almost black due to being constantly sprayed with crud. I drove to work and back yesterday, after installing the mud flaps and getting a few inches of snow the night before, and the crud factor was cut by at least 95%. The fit is perfect and the installation is a breeze. If you're looking for protection from the road crud, check 'em out.

Adios,
Woody

Papa Woody

TDI
Sorry to make this post and then disappear, but my best friend, who lives in East Texas, had a heart attack and triple by-pass surgery and required my assistance. So, it gave me a chance to do a 2,000+ mile road trip in the Passat, but I haven't been on the internet in over a week.

jrm, those apppear to be the exact same ones I have.

superchud, I don't have pics but I will try to get some and post 'em up. I like the way the matte black mud flaps blend into the blackness of the tire and wheelwell and become almost unnoticeable.

Adios,
Woody

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Install

Awesome, I will go pick some up- any drilling required? lucky for me my dealer just sent me a 10% off coupon :D
http://www.parts.vw.com/VWParts/ind...gid=200&siteid=9&overlayExtids=&overlayIntids=
If i remember correctly you need to drill a small hole to insert the pin that expands into the wheeel liner. By turning the wheels each way you can have just enough room to install the fronts, the rears however better to remove the wheel. I did the fronts in 20mins total.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I've had VW splashguards on every VW I've owned - they do work great! The last 3 haven't left the lot without them on.

Once I've got the price I want, I usually negotiate them into the deal - "Throw in a set of splashguards and tell me where to sign!" has worked every time.

Papa Woody

TDI
If i remember correctly you need to drill a small hole to insert the pin that expands into the wheeel liner. By turning the wheels each way you can have just enough room to install the fronts, the rears however better to remove the wheel. I did the fronts in 20mins total.
That's correct. Actually, you have to drill two holes in the wheel well liner for each mud flap. It requires a 6mm drill bit. I was not able to mount my fronts without removing the wheels. My drill motor was too large to get in and drill the necessary holes with the wheel in place, but with a smaller drill motor, or a right angle drill motor it would be no problem. Using a floor jack, it didn't take too long at all to remove the wheels and mount them. Well worth the time.

Adios,
Woody

Papa Woody

TDI
Awesome, I will go pick some up- any drilling required? lucky for me my dealer just sent me a 10% off coupon :D
http://www.parts.vw.com/VWParts/ind...id=200&siteid=9&overlayExtids=&overlayIntids=
Check their price! I looked at the price one of the forum vendors posted in the vendor classifieds and was going to order from them, but I wanted to be able to install them right away, so I went to my local dealer. :mad: The MSRP on the gaurds is $60 a set, front and rear. The online supplier was offering them for $48 a set, a 20% discount. My local dealer hit me with a price of $78 a set, which is 30% above MSRP. When I questioned him about this he said they mark up all their parts 10% above MSRP to cover shipping costs. When I pointed out his price was 30% high, not 10%, he said "yeah, someone put the price in wrong" and he brought it down to $66 a set.

I don't believe a word he said. The shipping cost is built into the MSRP and I think they mark up their prices 30% just because they can if nobody challenges them on it. At any rate, I negotiated a price of $55 a set, which is what they would have cost online with the shipping, so the sales tax was the only additional cost. Keep your hand on your wallet when you visit the dealer for parts.

Adios,
Woody

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
just picked mine up, haven't opened them up yet but with my dealer coupon $108 total for both boxes

B6Flier

TDI
2013 Passat SE
I just put my set on today. We too have had some very sloppy roads this winter here in PA. The white car was looking quite grey after a trip to work. Looking forward to a good cleaning seeing how much they help out. My only regret... I forgot to use the coupon that I had for 10% off...

crn3

TDI
2005.5 Jetta & 2009 Touareg
Any pictures of the installed VW ones? No just the stock pictures from their website,

Taken last year after my splash guard install and a good bath for the car. Tried to find some others, but this is the only angle I took.
Edit: Went out and took some close-ups.

Front-

Rear-

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I went to put mine on today, but none of the holes lined up, the instructions were all in another language too. Looks like Im going to have to double check the part number the dealer sold me.

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta
I went to put mine on today, but none of the holes lined up, the instructions were all in another language too. Looks like Im going to have to double check the part number the dealer sold me.
Considering you paid $108 for yours, I'd say they sold you some from a lambo or something. They should definitely not be that expensive

gncc600

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE DSG
That's correct. Actually, you have to drill two holes in the wheel well liner for each mud flap. It requires a 6mm drill bit. I was not able to mount my fronts without removing the wheels. My drill motor was too large to get in and drill the necessary holes with the wheel in place, but with a smaller drill motor, or a right angle drill motor it would be no problem. Using a floor jack, it didn't take too long at all to remove the wheels and mount them. Well worth the time.

Adios,
Woody
I have have a set of the OEM VW ones that I bought last summer and they work great. I was able to install both the front and rear without removing any wheels. The secret to drilling the holes where you have very little space is actually to use a nail or a 6mm bit... as long as they are about the same size. I took some vise grip pliers and locked in the nail at the tip. I then took a propane torch and heated it up. You could probably use a lighter also. Once it is nice and hot you can easily melt right through the inner fender where your marked holes are. The clips popped right in for a perfect fit. I only had to do this on the rear. I was able to just turn the wheels on the front and drill the holes. Though this might help some of you who do not want to remove the wheels.

maf007

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I bought some from Ebay and they lasted about a year. They cracked and broke apart, though it must be said that this has been the worst winter I've seen in many a day. I would hope the VW ones are made with thicker, less brittle plastic. I'll buy the VW version as soon as the ice and snow finally go away.