DPF Filter?

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
Does anyone know how long DPF filter lasts and what would the cost be? I have read 120,000 mile and $2000-$3000. I would hope you could get more mileage from it?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No one knows. They don't have a defined lifetime or scheduled replacement interval. Just because something is designed for a certain nominal life, doesn't mean that nominal life won't be exceeded, even by a wide or enormous margin.

There are various factors that can shorten their life. If none of the things that shorten their life happen to it then there's little reason it can't last next to forever.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Does anyone know how long DPF filter lasts and what would the cost be? I have read 120,000 mile and $2000-$3000. I would hope you could get more mileage from it?
Sounds like you answered your own question (120K miles and $2000-3000), so is there really a question here or more just venting or concern?

Confused by what you are trying to get from this post.

The DPF is just like any other component like the catalytic converter that can fail at any time although they know generally about how long it is rated for.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
cj42, those are the numbers that have been circulated since day one. I believe an inspection, via VCDS, for ash load, is to be done at 120k miles. No one has stated, AFAIK, an actual "lifespan" of the diesel particulate filter.
Early VW CR TDIs, the DPF/exhaust is a single unit, requiring replacement of the entire exhaust system if the DPF failed. Later models, the DPF/cats and exhaust are 2 separate units.
Aftermarket? I haven't looked, but there's probably someone selling them already.

FYI, there have been very few DPF failures posted here, so it appears that reliability is not an issue.

brent_strong

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
How many people would opt for DPF replacement rather than deleting it if a failure occurred? I guess if you have a strict inspection, it may be necessary...otherwise...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
How many people would opt for DPF replacement rather than deleting it if a failure occurred? I guess if you have a strict inspection, it may be necessary...otherwise...
I intentionally bought a clean diesel and I hope to keep it that way. Also, remember that if you live somewhere without "strict inspections", you might not always live there, or they might choose to implement them in the future. Also, removing emissions equipment might also restrict how and where you can sell the car in the future. Legality issues aside, there are many reasons to think carefully about this choice.

Have Fun!

Don

cj42

TDI
Sounds like you answered your own question (120K miles and $2000-3000), so is there really a question here or more just venting or concern?

Confused by what you are trying to get from this post.

The DPF is just like any other component like the catalytic converter that can fail at any time although they know generally about how long it is rated for.
I'm looking a real cost. These are just speculations I have read. I haven't found a cost yet just for replacment parts. I'm not concerned just trying to get informed before I buy.

Thanks for your input.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I'm looking a real cost. These are just speculations I have read. I haven't found a cost yet just for replacment parts. I'm not concerned just trying to get informed before I buy.

Thanks for your input.
I looked at this on my Jetta and the parts are around $800-$900.00. Installation costs are unknown however most independent VW shops can do this work. There is a list here you can use for a reference called Trusted TDI mechanics to call for an estimate of actual turn key costs.

I believe it came out to an additional .01 per mile assuming replacement is needed at 120,000. The twist comes with the Passat TDI, due the higher exhaust temps theoretically it should generate less ash load for the same miles as a non urea TDI.

At this point its all speculation.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!

Thanks for your input.
Here you go.

VW Jetta TDI
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef2cfb8/4558

#4559 of 4633 Re: Is the 2011/12 Jetta TDI Sportswagen more reliable than before? [bpeebles] by roccus

Sep 23, 2011 (10:48 am)

Replying to: bpeebles (Sep 22, 2011 2:46 pm)

thought my 2009 TDI was perfect car...drive about 500 miles a week commuting....mostly highway.....just found out I need a new DPF(diesel particulate filter) and catalytic converter....$4000.00 estimate by dealer..yes THOUSAND.....called VW customer service and was told the DPF and catalytic converters are covered for 8yrs/80k miles....I was at 80,800...so sorry " nothing we can so" they did say they would send me a service voucher for $250.00...thanks.....also 90k a timing belt change is required maintanence*($1200-$1400 dealer estimate) so much for saving money driving a TDI... just be careful....I never missed a dealer servicing so I'm even more annoyed.....
© Edmunds Inc.

cj42

TDI
Thanks guys! Great info.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I know if...

My HPFP takes a dump.

My turbo takes a dump.

My DPF takes a dump..

...on my dime, things will get cut loose.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
I intentionally bought a clean diesel and I hope to keep it that way. Also, remember that if you live somewhere without "strict inspections", you might not always live there, or they might choose to implement them in the future. Also, removing emissions equipment might also restrict how and where you can sell the car in the future. Legality issues aside, there are many reasons to think carefully about this choice.

Have Fun!

Don
X2. I bought my car because it meets all the emission standards, protecting my family and friends from the particulate matter related medical issues associated with diesel fuel usage. It really does serve a VALID purpose.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Ohh Ohh TB at 90K! sweet, wait what?

The online parst stores should be listing the price of the components pretty soon, so it's just a matter of finding someone to do the work.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
I have seen several mentions in this forum of about $4000 to replace a DPF. The Canadian warranty sechedule specifies a check of the DPF for the first time at 180,000, but I am sure some don't last that long.

It is my feeling that driving style can affect the life of a DPF as well as ash content of the fuel and any additives. Short city driving or any driving style that encourages the production of soot can't help either.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The Canadian warranty sechedule specifies a check of the DPF for the first time at 180,000, but I am sure some don't last that long.

It is my feeling that driving style can affect the life of a DPF as well as ash content of the fuel and any additives. Short city driving or any driving style that encourages the production of soot can't help either.
Can you provide some sort of proof, or is this just a "gut feeling"? Just curious why you've come to the conclusion that the DPF won't last 110k miles/180kilometers.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
I don't have proof. I was making a nodding acquaintence that like any other part of a vehicle, some last longer than others. The HPFP and the inter cooler on my car have not shown the issues that some have had. On the other hand, I have gone through three headlight light bulbs and one wheel bearing. There is no such thing as a scheduled part failure.

I have seen some posts where the DPF have failed within the warranty period. I am sure others will last longer that 180,000 km. It is well known that their life is affected by the ash content of the fuel (and any additives in it) as well as any oil that the engine is consuming. Sometimes I wonder if driving style affects them, but that is mere speculation on my part.

I think from the warranty maintenence schedule, that VW expects them (or would like you to expect them) to last a very long time.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
thought my 2009 TDI was perfect car...drive about 500 miles a week commuting....mostly highway.....just found out I need a new DPF(diesel particulate filter) and catalytic converter....$4000.00 estimate by dealer..yes THOUSAND.....called VW customer service and was told the DPF and catalytic converters are covered for 8yrs/80k miles....I was at 80,800...so sorry " nothing we can so" they did say they would send me a service voucher for $250.00...thanks.....also 90k a timing belt change is required maintanence*($1200-$1400 dealer estimate) so much for saving money driving a TDI... just be careful....I never missed a dealer servicing so I'm even more annoyed.....
© Edmunds Inc.
This guys "dealer servicing" probably involved them not using correct 507 oil causing his dpf to fail.

Pure speculation on my part but thats how it played out in my head. I'll service it myself thank you.:)

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
This guys "dealer servicing" probably involved them not using correct 507 oil causing his dpf to fail.

Pure speculation on my part but thats how it played out in my head. I'll service it myself thank you.:)
cause every dealer in north america does not know about 507 right? please.....

keez

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Diesel particulate filter 2009 Jetta TDI problem

The diesel particulate filter went out on my 2009 Jetta TDI at 40k miles and 3 years. This was validated by both and independent shop and the VW dealer. I thought the $4k repair should be covered under warranty--or at least by the extended warranty. I see others are having issues too. The corporate VW office says they know nothing of this problem and it's not getting reported to them, and thus won't cover the repair. Has anyone had any luck getting VW to stand behind this issue? Please encourage all having this issue to report it to VW corporate. Maybe then they would stand behind the problem and fix it. My car has now been sitting in my garage for 5 months until it can be fixed. I'm now ready to just dump the car it has had so many issues "not covered under warranty." I have never had this problem with any other make of car, and I don't have an unusual driving style or situation, but both my VW and my parent's 2010 VW have had nothing but problems--and problems with several dealerships willing to stand behind their vehicles.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Only DPF issue I heard of not fixed under warranty is someone with 170k miles. What are all the other problems you've had with these two cars? :confused:

Loki

TDI
2005 NB TDI; 2006 Golf TDI
I have read about checking the DPF at 120,00 miles, but no specifics about what to check for. Is there an ash level that is considered the upper limit. Or anything else that VW expects to be checked for at this scheduled maintenance. I'd like to know so I could monitor the specs over time to avoid a nasty surprise.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Your dpf is covered to 120k miles. Go back to the dealer with the federal emissions warranty which covers items to 80k OR until the first service if listed in maintenance schedule. As the dpf is a maintenance item you are double protected. Denial of warranty at 40k for a dpf is bs.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Do not delete it, its part of the TDI image to keep them smoke free. Now my dodge Cummins on the other hand, smokes but gets 10mpg better than my buddies brand new 2012 duramax :)

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up

Have Fun!

Don
Very well put. Don't forget, you are experiencing substantial fuel economy savings (and LOW CO2 output) even with the emissions equipment in place. All the more reason to keep it clean. My children (and yours?) will inherit the consequences of our decisions on the quality of our exhaust equipment. You get what you pay for...or decide not to.

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
X2. I bought my car because it meets all the emission standards, protecting my family and friends from the particulate matter related medical issues associated with diesel fuel usage. It really does serve a VALID purpose.
Well said sir, well said!

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Do not delete it, its part of the TDI image to keep them smoke free. Now my dodge Cummins on the other hand, smokes but gets 10mpg better than my buddies brand new 2012 duramax :)
It is ILLEGAL to remove. It is NOT just about image, it REMOVES diesel particulates which are super fine and the MOST damaging to LUNG TISSUE and impacts people with respiratory issues. It works!

It does NOT reduce fuel economy significantly. Your illogical, irrational comparison of a cummins to a duramax without regard for engine size and number of cylinders and age is odd especially when then applying that to the TDI to allude to it decreasing the MPG.

Really 45 MPG Highway with the DSG and 50 With the M6 is NOT enough MPG for you? Really?

Second post of yours I don't like. Looks like the newbie is off to a good start already.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I won't remove mine when the "big boy diesel trucks" won't install dual 6" stackes and 36" tires.

Also on shorter trips less than 20 miles, the DPF does rob some MPGs, so removing it will help over all.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
It is ILLEGAL to remove. It is NOT just about image, it REMOVES diesel particulates which are super fine and the MOST damaging to LUNG TISSUE and impacts people with respiratory issues. It works!

It does NOT reduce fuel economy significantly. Your illogical, irrational comparison of a cummins to a duramax without regard for engine size and number of cylinders and age is odd especially when then applying that to the TDI to allude to it decreasing the MPG.

Really 45 MPG Highway with the DSG and 50 With the M6 is NOT enough MPG for you? Really?

Second post of yours I don't like. Looks like the newbie is off to a good start already.
Id say hes doing well considering this is only his 2nd post you didnt like. This is about YOUR 900th rant I HAVENT liked. If you would calm down and reread his post I think he was agreeing with you about keeping the DPF on. Personally I think that JUNK belongs on a shelf somewhere.