Is the Passat TDI turning out to be problematic?

tncrom

TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Manual (Took Buyback), 2015 TDI Passat SE Manual
Love driving my first VW, but I'm worried now after having a turbo failure at 15K miles. I'd suggest reading the posts concerning turbo failures so you're aware of this issue -- it seems more than sporadic. That being stated, VW was very good about repairing and quick turnaround for this wty repair.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
websites attract stories of "failure"

powerfool,
It is no surprise that anyone that has ANY "problem" with ANY car, tool, appliance, etc. will consult the internet and flame the manufacturer these days. You don't hear from the 98-99% that have no problem.

Take a flight, and you will probably reach your destination. In that case, you may not hear from those that don't make it.

So every website devoted to a "thing" will get filled with stories from those few people that have problems. Some of them are really minor, and often user error.

The good news is that there really are 98% of TDI owners out there that have no interest in this website. They'll show up when they have an issue!

I just rolled 18,000miles in 18 months, no problems whatsoever. It's my third TDI. I'd still have the second one if I was smart enough to buy the 6MT. This car is barely broken in, and it delivered 54 mpg in 765 miles in the mountains last summer (42 mpg lifetime average, and I drive agessively all the time), lets me drive by cities with overpriced fuel, and even lets me drive by the next city or town if I want to, to get to lower prices. I do love the range of a 18 gallon tank in a TDI!

I expect problems at some point, because I am realistic. But maybe not. Most people do not have real problems. Most means way over 90% in the long run. Maybe I'll invest in those inline fuel filters in a couple years to protect the fuel system from the potential for fuel pump failure. For now, I just add Optilube and drive.

Last edited:

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
How about the cam in the Passats, the CKRA diesel . They are now starting to wear the same as the BRM cams and now starting to fail, slowly but surely. Lets face it, VW is not what they use to be long lasting, reliable cars. They are now becoming money pits and boat anchors as time goes by.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
FXDL: Cam issues? Really? Could you share some numbers/links/source of your information?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
How about the cam in the Passats, the CKRA diesel . They are now starting to wear the same as the BRM cams and now starting to fail, slowly but surely. Lets face it, VW is not what they use to be long lasting, reliable cars. They are now becoming money pits and boat anchors as time goes by.
What in the hell are you talking about? :confused:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
You mean the one with roller lifters that can't possibly wear the same, or ? ? ?

- Tim

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
What the ?:confused:

I guess my 118,000 mile Passat is about ready to turn into a flaming death trap!:rolleyes:

fricknbug99

TDI
99 beetle tdi 5 speed,2013 passat se tdi dsg
41,000 miles and no problems on mine . Dealer told me a customer had been in for a timing belt change (130,000 miles) on a 12 or 13 PASSAT tdi, said car had regular maintinance no probs.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I believe the 2012+ Passats are less trouble-prone than the 2011 and later Jettas. Jettas are subject to intercooler icing and would be more inclined to have HPFP Failures. Turbos on early Passats did fail more often than expected, but that issues appears to be corrected. However, I wouldn't characterize either vehicle (or the current Golf, for that matter) as troublesome. But they aren't Toyotas.

One other point: I spend way more time on this site than I should, and it appears to me that MKVI Jetta owners are the least active TDIClub members, certainly less active than new Passat owners. That would mean you'll read less about issues these cars have. I also don't see many MKVI Jetta sedans at GTGs.

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I believe the 2012+ Passats are less trouble-prone than the 2011 and later Jettas. Jettas are subject to intercooler icing and would be more inclined to have HPFP Failures. Turbos on early Passats did fail more often than expected, but that issues appears to be corrected. However, I wouldn't characterize either vehicle (or the current Golf, for that matter) as troublesome. But they aren't Toyotas.

One other point: I spend way more time on this site than I should, and it appears to me that MKVI Jetta owners are the least active TDIClub members, certainly less active than new Passat owners. That would mean you'll read less about issues these cars have. I also don't see many MKVI Jetta sedans at GTGs.
On the money, IndigoBlueWagon.

I sold a 2010 Jetta that had intercooler issue (fixed) mostly because of the potential HPFP issue. That issue is a whole lot more worrisome than the turbo on the Passat (which appears to have been resolved with an updated part).

My passat has been trouble free and even with the intercooler, the exhaust flap, and the potential for HPFP issues, I had no real quarrel with the Jetta.