ALH to ASV conversion - Power Mod by itself?

peter pyce

Veteran Member
I read here and there that the ASV Euro ECU is quiet different than our ALH ECU, there is more timing advance, more fueling, more turbo pressure, etc..... The question is, has anyone tried both programs with NO other mod and is there a gain in anything quantifiably for just converting ALH to ASV? I mean, if I bolt an ASV ECU on let's say PP520 or Bosch 205, what would I gain in comparison to the same injectors with the standard ALH ECU? I know many switched to Euro ECU, but usually is done together with chip upgrade too .....so, anyone with just ALH to Euro conversion? Comments? Thanks!

downhillskier

Well, I can't vouch for the ASV stage 0, but I know my ASV stage II with the stock injectors makes a big difference. Other than more torque/horsepower, the biggest thing I noticed was the power available beyond 3800 RPM and the RPM fall-off when you want to shift. The ASV really pulls hard into the red-line, and the faster RPM dropoff makes it easy to shift faster. There's also better fuel economy with the ASV due to the increased boost. I'm told that these are three main differences between the ALH and the ASV chips. Some people in here have recently downgraded to the ALH package from RocketChip ASV due to the cold start problems. You could ask them what they notice.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
..... and the faster RPM dropoff makes it easy to shift faster.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a second ...... you are saying that with ASV conversion, the RPM drop faster like for example if you would have a lighter flywheel? This is very interesting for me for two reasons:

1. Two years ago I asked here if there was a way to make our RPM drop faster, because I found it way too slow, which was not nice when you want to do quick shifting - you always had ot "wait" a fraction for the RPM to drop to the next gear match as ot have smooth engage as well ...... and guess what, no one responded, so the topic was dead and meanwhile I got used to shift slower and enjoy it this way....

2. Someone with ASV RC2 drove recently my car and came back and asked me whether I have heavier flywheel (LOL) because he noticed how slowly my RPM drop. I did not really take him seriously as I assumed he was dreaming .....

After reading your post thought, I now believe it, he was not dreaming, as I guess you are not either. The question is - How is this achieved? Does it means that the ALH for some reason does not close fast enough (for purpose) the fuel providing this slower drop in RPM? Is it something like the modern gasoline cars that have similar slow (even slower) drop for emission reasons? Interesting! Thanks for the news. One more reason to get ASV conversion - I would love faster drop in RPM, Thanks again!:)

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I am one who downgraded to the ALH Stage III from the ASV Stage II. From my logging of the ALH III, I do have max fueling of 48 mg/stroke vs the ASV 51mg/stroke. But as I live in MN the ASV does not like my glow plug relay, so I have to live with the lower performance of the ALH until Jeff figures it out.

But having said that, the ALH Stage III is a nice chip that pulls nicely to redline with minimal smoke.