www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 23rd, 2018, 19:25   #1
Fisch_02

TDI(s): 1.9 tdi
Default Mk4 gas and diesel 5 speed transmission.

Im sure this is discussed on here somewhere but I can't find it. My question is. Can I put a 5 speed manual transmission out of a gas jetta and put it into a tdi jetta? Both jettas are 2001. I assume the gearing is different but I don't know kinda new to the volkswagen scene only reason I'm asking is because I can get a free transmission from a friend but it's from a gas. Thanks
Fisch_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2018, 19:45   #2
mr.loops

TDI(s): 2002 jetta
Default Mk4 gas and diesel 5 speed transmission.

Your correct about the ratios being different between the two types of engines.

There is also a difference between bell-housings on the 02J transmission. One is for the 6 cylinder, the other for the 4 cylinder. In your case, youíll need to stay away from the cars that have the VR6 in them as they will not bolt into your block

Also keep in note, some later Mk4ís had the 02M transmission - which is of course is a 6 speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mr.loops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2018, 19:50   #3
Fisch_02

[QUOTE=mr.loops;5426517]Your correct about the ratios being different between the two types of engines.

There is also a difference between bell-housings on the 02J transmission. One is for the 6 cylinder, the other for the 4 cylinder. In your case, youíll need to stay away from the cars that have the VR6 in them as they will not bolt into your block

Also keep in note, some later Mk4ís had the 02M transmission - which is of course is a 6 speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Thanks for the quick reply. The transmission is out of a 4 cylinder. I was wondering if it was just 5th gear that was different or if the differential is geared different
Old July 23rd, 2018, 20:00   #4
mr.loops

TDI(s): 2002 jetta

There is certainly going to be a noticeable difference in ratios for the R&P and 5th

Are you able to pull the codes off both transmissions so we can compare the two?

Or you can cross reference it here based on model/year

http://www.zelek.com/diagram_charts/diagramlist.htm
mr.loops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2018, 20:08   #5
Fisch_02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.loops View Post
There is certainly going to be a noticeable difference in ratios for the R&P and 5th

Are you able to pull the codes off both transmissions so we can compare the two?

Or you can cross reference it here based on model/year

http://www.zelek.com/diagram_charts/diagramlist.htm
Thanks for the reply. That pretty much answers my question. The R&P for the gas is 4.235 and the R&P for the diesel 3.389. Little bit of a difference, if it were the other way around I would definitely go for it but not with the gas having such a higher gear ratio.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 20:34   #6
Fisch_02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch_02 View Post
Thanks for the reply. That pretty much answers my question. The R&P for the gas is 4.235 and the R&P for the diesel 3.389. Little bit of a difference, if it were the other way around I would definitely go for it but not with the gas having such a higher gear ratio.
I'm not sure if I'm figuring this correctly but 5th gear in the gas is .837 the diesel is .756. The R&P for the gas is 4.235 the diesel is 3.389. So the final for gas is 3.54 and diesel is 2.56. So if I take 5th out of the diesel transmission and put it in the gas one it puts it at 3.26. I wonder how much difference in rpm that will make at highway speed. Or maybe I completely figured that wrong
Old July 23rd, 2018, 21:17   #7
boertje
Veteran Member

Better to simply source a tdi trans as your rpm will still be as much as 400 rpm higher than a tdi trans.
boertje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2018, 04:46   #8
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Based on my custom Excel spreadsheet on gearing ....

(not adjusted for tire size, but all numbers are relative in the calculations)
(all results rounded by formula)

1. Stock 0J2 in 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 69 MPH

2. Gasser tranny in 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 50 MPH

3. Gasser tranny with diesel 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 55 MPH

4. Diesel tranny with gasser 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 63 MPH

I included option 4 as I installed a gasser tranny 5h gear while I was looking for a replacement tranny or 5th gear for my 2000 Jetta TDI.

Lastly, top gear in my Vanagon (4th) is very similar to 4th gear in the 0J2 tranny. 3000 RPMs = about 68 mph. (3125 RPMs = about 70 MPH).
Old July 24th, 2018, 05:14   #9
Fisch_02

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
Based on my custom Excel spreadsheet on gearing ....

(not adjusted for tire size, but all numbers are relative in the calculations)
(all results rounded by formula)

1. Stock 0J2 in 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 69 MPH

2. Gasser tranny in 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 50 MPH

3. Gasser tranny with diesel 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 55 MPH

4. Diesel tranny with gasser 5th gear @ 2200 RPMs = 63 MPH

I included option 4 as I installed a gasser tranny 5h gear while I was looking for a replacement tranny or 5th gear for my 2000 Jetta TDI.

Lastly, top gear in my Vanagon (4th) is very similar to 4th gear in the 0J2 tranny. 3000 RPMs = about 68 mph. (3125 RPMs = about 70 MPH).
Thanks for the info. My tdi is a little different than that. At 70 mph I'm at 2450 rpm. But I bought this tdi about 6 months ago, so I don't know something could have been changed from the previous owner.
Old July 24th, 2018, 05:23   #10
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Keep in mind...

1. The numbers I gave were not adjusted for tire size. My Excel Spreadsheet is set-up with a specific tire size that I did not change for those calculations. So, the relative difference is what is important for comparison.

2. Seems every Jetta/Golf/NB that I've driven the speedometer is about 2 mph fast.

My GPS and road-side real time radar seem to confirm my observations. Also, Scan Gauges gives better RPM readings than observing the Tach. But, this is nothing but hair splitting on my part. However, overall, the info should get you in the ball park.
Old July 25th, 2018, 05:44   #11
Fisch_02

Quote:
Keep in mind...
1. The numbers I gave were not adjusted for tire size. My Excel Spreadsheet is set-up with a specific tire size that I did not change for those calculations. So, the relative difference is what is important for comparison.
2. Seems every Jetta/Golf/NB that I've driven the speedometer is about 2 mph fast.
But other than the gearing the transmission will bolt right up, correct?
My GPS and road-side real time radar seem to confirm my observations. Also, Scan Gauges gives better RPM readings than observing the Tach. But, this is nothing but hair splitting on my part. However, overall, the info should get you in the ball park.
Other than the gear ratio difference the engine will bolt right up, correct?
Old July 25th, 2018, 06:28   #12
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Yep!..........
Old July 25th, 2018, 06:30   #13
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Depending which gasser tranny you purchase, the shifting tower may have to be moved from your tranny to the new tranny... There were some minor differences in a year or two early on.

The block to tranny bolt pattern on in-line VW 4-cylinders is the same all the way back to 1974.
Old July 25th, 2018, 08:03   #14
Fisch_02

Quote:
Depending which gasser tranny you purchase, the shifting tower may have to be moved from your tranny to the new tranny... There were some minor differences in a year or two early on.

The block to tranny bolt pattern on in-line VW 4-cylinders is the same all the way back to 1974.
Thanks for the information. You guys have been a huge help.