www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 1st, 2015, 00:08   #1
Carl_Seattle

TDI(s): 2005 VW Golf
Default Disable Neutral Safety Switch on Automatic Transmission

Has anyone successfully (and hopefully easily) disabled their Neutral Safety Switch? (Correction: Shift interlock. Thx Ol' Rattler) That's the solenoid under the shift lever that locks it in N or P until you hit the brake pedal.
I'd explain why I need this done, but can do without the inevitable flood of nanny-state admonishments not to remove this "feature".
FYI 2005 VW Golf TDI, I own a Bentley book but not the VAG and have already taken the top of the shift assembly apart. Far enough to see that the solenoid appears to be too deep down in there to easily get to.

Last edited by Carl_Seattle; July 8th, 2015 at 12:41.
Carl_Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:51   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I've never known anyone to do this, let alone have a need to do this. I suppose you could tear it all apart and figure out what you need to do to remove the plunger. And I can't say I have ever seen that mechanism mess up on one of these cars, either, but I have seen plenty of failed brake light switches that can cause the car not to be able to be taken out of park. After three versions, though, they seem to have gotten the switches right.
Old July 1st, 2015, 08:41   #3
fxk
Veteran Member

IMO, the neutral safety switch is a solution looking for a problem. That said, that is the way it is. The only benefit I can see of defeating the switch is when trying to rock the car in mud and snow. There may be others, but that point is moot. The OP wants to defeat the device.
And I'm of no help about defeating the switch.
frank
fxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 08:50   #4
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in S. Florida...

I have, and it is easy. Just unplug it at the shifter.
Old July 1st, 2015, 11:41   #5
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

AS an aside, you are not trying to disable the NSS, you are trying to disable the shift interlock.

The NSS is what prevents the starter from engaging in gear.

I read a thread recently were the OP disabled the shift interlock by unplugging a 3 wire connector that plugs into the interlock mechanism on the shifter.

The shift interlock is just another case of the nanny state trying to protect us from ourselves. If you have more than 2 brain cells to rub together, most of the time you step on the brake coming out of park, anyway.

It just kills me that most stuff is designed to keep Darwin Award candidates from taking their place in the scheme of things.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; July 1st, 2015 at 11:57.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 09:58   #6
fxk
Veteran Member

Take the damn nannies out! I'm a big fan of natural de-selection!
fxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 09:56   #7
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post
The shift interlock is just another case of the nanny state trying to protect us from ourselves. If you have more than 2 brain cells to rub together, most of the time you step on the brake coming out of park, anyway.

It just kills me that most stuff is designed to keep Darwin Award candidates from taking their place in the scheme of things.
That might seem true, but it's a feature I'm glad to have. It prevents a child grabbing the shifter and putting the car in gear, and it also prevents people who get the gas and brake confused from slamming the car into gear and running me over in a parking lot.

And like you said, you should be pressing the brake anytime you're shifting into gear anyway, so this feature doesn't intrude.

Unplugging the shift lock solenoid will set a fault code in the transmission. I don't know if it will illuminate the check engine light.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 33,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 10:37   #8
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in S. Florida...

It will not illuminate the CEL. The code is set in the transmission and is a "hidden" code to anything that is not a Vag-com capable reader.

As far as the "benefits" of this interlock, if someone is incapable of determining which is the gas or the brake, they are NOT a driver of my vehicles. So that argument has no impact, and you and I are still at just as much risk of being run over by a blue-hair in the parking lot.

I don't have children, don't plan to have any, but even if I did... I would neither leave them alone in the car nor allow them into the front seat anyway. Safer in the back.

If you want ultimate safety when leaving your vehicle, just pull up all the way on the E-brake handle. It takes a fair bit of strength to un-do that, and it is guaranteed security should the car somehow get back into gear while the engine is running.
Old July 7th, 2015, 11:23   #9
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Only emission related DTC's turn on the CEL. Any non emission related DTC requires you to use a code reader to retrieve them.

I agree that disabling the shift interlock really is a bad idea as a child could put it in gear easily if left unattended and with it disabled the shifter would not be locked in park when the key is removed.

It would really suck if an innocent child received a Darwin award that a supposed responsible adult should have rightfully received for doing something really stupid and dangerous that could harm others.

Also on any automatic, anytime the engine is running and you are not in the car, you really should set the E-brake.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; July 7th, 2015 at 11:45.
Old July 7th, 2015, 20:31   #10
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
AS an aside, you are not trying to disable the NSS, you are trying to disable the shift interlock.

The NSS is what prevents the starter from engaging in gear.

I read a thread recently were the OP disabled the shift interlock by unplugging a 3 wire connector that plugs into the interlock mechanism on the shifter.

Amen, tired of all this "safety crap" when its mostly common sense.

Quote:
I agree that disabling the shift interlock really is a bad idea as a child could put it in gear easily if left unattended and with it disabled the shifter would not be locked in park when the key is removed.

It would really suck if an innocent child received a Darwin award that a supposed responsible adult should have rightfully received for doing something really stupid and dangerous that could harm others.

Also on any automatic, anytime the engine is running and you are not in the car, you really should set the E-brake.
Make up your mind,

But yeah, DON'T leave the engine running with a kid loose in the car, again, just simply common sense, which I guess we are running out of.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:31   #11
Jolly
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MKIV Golf 5

Safety devices have come such a long way... The 1980 Rabbit 1.5L IDI I had a few years back with 4 speed trans, could be started in gear and clutch out. Not practical by any means, but definitely entertaining.
2000 Jetta; 225,000 miles - sold for a profit
1999.5 Jetta; 289,000 miles - soon to be parted out
Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 11:15   #12
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Unless your rabbit had the optional "passive" door mounted seatbelts, then the driver's side belt needed to be bucked to start the motor

-J
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 11:50   #13
owr084
Veteran Member

My 1978 Toyota pickup could be started in gear with the clutch out and that "feature" saved my butt one day. I was in Detroit, down at the river for the Unlimited Hydroplane race. It was getting late in the afternoon and was time to head out and find the hotel. I go the truck and find the clutch pedal to be very mushy. I barely made it to a gas station where I found out the clutch master cylinder piston had scored the cylinder walls and was leaking. I tried putting more fluid in, but it was dead. So with darkness approaching, in Detroit, I might add, I decided to attempt to make it home to Ohio without a functioning clutch.

I had the truck for so long that I was able to shift into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th without the clutch. But, the problem was how to get the truck moving. The solution, if the car was pointed downhill was to pop the clutch. Level ground was the problem. So, I used the starter to get it moving in gear. That worked, but it bucked/oscillated until it was going fast enough to shift to second. I only had to do that twice, once in Detroit and once at a fuel stop on the way back to Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
Safety devices have come such a long way... The 1980 Rabbit 1.5L IDI I had a few years back with 4 speed trans, could be started in gear and clutch out. Not practical by any means, but definitely entertaining.
Old July 9th, 2015, 12:13   #14
tadawson
Veteran Member

I had to do that once on a Dodge Daytona I had in the 80's . . . cable operated clutch, and it broke on I90 halfway between Chicago and Rockford, on a Sunday no less. Drove to a friends in the area (actually where I was heading . . .) clutchless, and then had to start in gear on the level the next AM to get it to the dealer (warrantly). Ugly, but it got it done, and avoided a long $pendy tow. I could shift that car clutchless through all gears with no noise/delay at all . . . just glad I was playing with perfecting my technique when the cable failed.

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 13:24   #15
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
Make up your mind,
Oh ya, I have certainly made up my mind. In my first post, I answered the OP's "how to" question, and in my second post I elaborated on if in my opinion disabling the shift interlock is a good idea.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook