www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 7th, 2004, 13:18   #61
icnick
Veteran Member

Default Re: Starting post for Newbie\'s

There is currently no "good" fix for the EGR/sticky soot problem on the PDs. The EGR Vag-Com adaptation will not work on PDs. A lot of people have just unplugged their EGR and live with a CEL, but then you would not know if something was truly wrong with your engine. In time, I'm sure someone will come up with a mod that works well.
icnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 18:20   #62
twigmama

Hello!
New poster here.
I'm about to buy a 96 Passat and i'm curious about a few things. Various people (who probably think they know what they're talking about) have cautioned me against a Diesel car, but i'm out to prove them wrong.
One myth i already corrected was my mother's concern that the diesel would "gel up" in the winter. From reading the information on the site, i've learned that this is not true at all. Hooray! (also- i live in VA. Not exactly hardcore winters down here)

And the other thing was this:
My drive to work everyday is only 2 miles one way. (One would think i'd walk to work...but the 2 miles happens to be up over a mountain.) Will the short distance drive every morning and evening not allow the car to "warm up" and in turn be damaging the vehicle? Will it affect the car at all? It seems stupid, but i was cautioned about it and i can't seem to find any information on the subject.

If anyone would like to talk on AIM: my screen name is wecantaffordthat
I would love to talk to someone who could answer my dumb questions and maybe chat it up.

THANKS!
`suzie
twigmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 18:39   #63
icnick
Veteran Member

Hi, Suzie, I would bet that 2 miles up and down a mountain would be sufficient to warm the car up. I drive my 2005 Passat TDI 18 miles each way to work every day, and it only takes me about a mile to a mile and a half of driving 55-65 MPH to warm it up to operating temp. That's on the really cold days (zero degrees Fahrenheit)

The B4 Passat TDI is a great car, I think you'll really like it!

Nick
icnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 19:36   #64
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A4 = wife drives it, don't know

I love my 97 passat tdi.

Your commute will be what it is - the car will deal. You may have to do some things earlier (in miles) than others would, but probably not more in actual time. You may do things in a year that those going twice your mileage would do in a year (10K vs 20K for fuel filters, etc). If you're putting the engine under load at 2200-2500+ rpms mostly, you may not have much clogging at all. Try to avoid under 2000rpm - shift for the drive.

I'd do it. But the passat is the easiest car I've ever driven for 7 hours at a time.

I'd take it easy until the temp gets up to 3 bars, but it should't take long going up gravity. You may not get 40mpg either.
rdkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:57   #65
savis01

Fuel Economy: 47-50

I have a 2000 tdi beetle 1.9L with the check engine light on the code is P0380 the glow plugs ohm out good. Where is the relay at? any help would be apprecited.

Regards
Steve
savis01@yahoo.com
savis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 15:35   #66
cram51
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.0/41.4/34.0

Steve,

I wish I could help you out. I'm not familiar with the 2000 tdi's. I have a later model. One of our other fellow members will definitely chime in and help you. There are a lot of experts for these cars on this site. Good luck.
cram51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 16:13   #67
tomo366
TDI Lifer

I have owned 9 Diesel cars since 1981. I presently owned 3
1984 Mercedes 300D with 254,000 miles a great car!!
A 96 Passat TDI with 93,000 miles also a great car!! I also owned a 97 Passat TDI for 5 years before that and that was a wonderful car!!
I also own a 2004 Passat TDI with 14,000 miles and I love it!!
Buy the Passat TDI you won't be sorry!!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 00:11   #68
Rustynuts
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 Imp. mpg

Quote:
I have a 2000 tdi beetle 1.9L with the check engine light on the code is P0380 the glow plugs ohm out good. Where is the relay at? any help would be apprecited.

Regards
Steve
savis01@yahoo.com
Have a look at this link. It could help solve your problems. Wingnut's "How to's"
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 07:25   #69
JettaTDI2000

In addition, test your battery. I own a 2000 Jetta TDI that had the same problem. It turned out to be the battery going bad.
JettaTDI2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 21:31   #70
cwaglytdi

Hi Everyone,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!!!

Question: I have a 2001 Jetti TDI and it has about 103,000 km's on it. I just had to replace a glowplug as it "quit" on me. How often should glowplugs last and/or when should they be changed?

Thanks
cwaglytdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 22:41   #71
Rustynuts
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 Imp. mpg

Glow plugs last as long as they last, and change them as required. One plug in 103k kms isn't too bad IMO. Some recommend changing the whole set when one goes, but personally, I'd keep the three others handy and wait until they fail.
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 15:05   #72
SoyDuke

Thanks for all data for us newbies. Didn't know about minimum revs between shifts to keep the turbo happy til I read it here.
The info and encouragement on this forum helped in my decision to buy (yesterday) a lot.
SoyDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:09   #73
cwaglytdi

Rustynuts: thanks for the info. I figure to wait anyways as the cost of one glow plug is expensive. I bought one for $55 (Canadian). Thanks for your help.

CwaglyTDI
cwaglytdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:48   #74
twigmama

I got the Passat! After a few days of learning stick and driving 10 hours from NY to VA- i'm in love! Thanks the advice!
twigmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 17:14   #75
clancytool

Does anyone know if I can I save the results of a search so I can revisit later?
Thank you,
sclancy
clancytool is offline   Reply With Quote